Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
The second one is also iPhone Ireland, iPhone Malta and iPhone Cyprus and looks to be the smallest of the three items in your photo.

You are positively wearing me out... Don't believe what I say, just trust your eyes

f18d4689a68cf182513800a5a713c324.jpg

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Because it was so hard to unplug before and hurt everyone. :p

I provided feedback to Apple for years that the current design was too bloody slippery, with the glossy plastic providing little grip. It's only taken them the better part of a decade to wake up and realize the obvious. Honestly, it's often frustrating to be an Apple fan (and shareholder) when they solve obvious problems with simple fixes at a glacial pace. Hockey Puck Mouse anyone? Tragic Mouse? Fraying Apple cables due to weak design? Terrible FW800 connector stability? Sharp edges and points on unibody laptops?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
That was always one of the weaker "copy" examples.

There are plenty of rounded square chargers that look much closer to that Apple version. Just Google "usb wall charger" and click on the Image results.

As someone who owned both, Samsung's tablet power adapter was easily different from, and ergonomically superior to, Apple's. I never got them confused.

Besides their different curves and colors, Samsung's adapter had a nice finger ridge all around the USB end, so that you could easily pull it out from a socket, from any angle. Very nice. Function over form.

samsung has and always will have sloppy seconds when it comes to design ideas. samsung's lack of design is representative of the overall lack of design over in asia mainly involving koreans and the chinese. hyundai/kia for the longest of time copied design characteristics of honda and toyota, and now they are blatantly copying mazda. the chinese are known to, well...copy everything. the consumer products company i worked for had a sub-division in china that handled our manufacturing. one day we randomly received a FedEx box with a "new product design" from the chinese company. we put it on our testing sled and performed the test and the product broke apart into a dozen pieces. it wasn't even a project worth saving because the design they created wasn't even possible to be made into an adequate product for a consumer. basically it would look great as a prototype on a shelf somewhere, and that's it

the chinese and koreans are still a long long ways away from being able to design anything that is world class or that sets a design trend. they are simply followers of everyone else

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
The UK one has the grooves in the sides too, we need them though otherwise it would be like two 2x1 lego pieces together... never getting them back again.

edit: would love 2 USB ports on one charger.

aew3

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
Couple of months ago I bought a new power adaptor from my local apple store in Melbourne, Australia, because one of my adapter broke. It looked just like this.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
This new design makes it easy to unplug, as it now has an improved grip area.

Whoever designed the previous adapter didn't need to plug and unplug it several times. He probably had one adapter available at every outlet.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Now all we have left to leak is the sim card tray eject tool, will one be included with the 6, if so what shape will it take on? oooohh I'm at the edge of my office chair. :rolleyes:

These leaks are starting to get silly. Power adapter, seriously?

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Next: Someone will "leak" a photo of the included Apple stickers, complete with notation that "the sticker diameter seems to have shrunk by x millimetres". Shortly after, someone will observe the differences of process used for the screen printing of the box, and finally we'll find someone with captures from a microscope, observing how the tackiness of the glue on the box seal has somewhat changed, then going into molecular level resolution to explain the changes in the used adhesive... :D :D

[WAIT]

We're not done yet - someone else will count the pages of a "leaked" manual draft copy, and note the dimensions of the standard typeface have changed. Then, you'll see a comparison of the word count in the new manual vs previous manuals... then, we'll see people using a stopwatch to time how long a "leaked" box takes for the bottom half to telescopically slide open, downward, away from the top, and compile it into a data sheet.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Current Australian chargers look like this!

Yeah I thought the same and was wondering about the picture, glad you commented (and MacRumors updated the article).

Worth noting that New Zealand and China use the same plugs as us. Could have been a cheaper design for release throughout China?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.