Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
for us frequent flyers - flatter the better. i welcome the slight reduction in thickness!

----------

Rectangular instead of square. This will change everything. All over again.

i hope j.Ive will tell us how this new charger was designed, the injection molding processes used to make it, and the attention to detail never thought possible for a charger before

----------

Wow, Eddy Cue was right. This IS the most exciting pipeline I've ever seen.

"2014 is the year of the charger"

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I wish that they'd go ahead and add a second USB port to this. A bunch of competitors do that (and I end up using their plug over apple for that reason). It is way handier when traveling as my wife and I can just charge from the same socket.

----------

Nobody has yet pointed out that the prongs do not fold up like the present ones do, making it more difficult to carry them around.

The present prongs don't fold up (at least not in an of the US chargers that come packaged with iPod and iPhones, which is presumably what this is).

----------

Innovation.

And why do leaked pictures require uncut fingernails all the time?

Leaks often come from Asia. I think Asian people simply have a different preference in fingernail length to them that is "cut".

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
i'd like to see redesigned macbook's power bricks, smaller and lighter (an extra usb port on them would be awesome, but i doubt they're going to do that..).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Looks like a step back from the current (EU) one...
(than again, an iPhone6 might need more power to rapidly charge, thus require a larger adapter)

I thought this was the current 'EU' one :p

genuine-apple-lightning-mains-charger-white-p36243-300.jpg

byronjason

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
I don't think Apple will change the design for UK/South Africa. My wall socket cover is the shape of the adapter - I would have to change the socket cover if the new design is rolled out here

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
Image of Redesigned Apple USB Power Adapter Surfaces [Updated]

I thought this was the current 'EU' one :p

Nooo, noo, noo... That one is, i think UK charger! But then, they are all different with them pints and miles and such. This one is the EU one ( and eastern europe aswell)
aze7ypeb.jpg

And it charges iPhone and iPad mini. Iphone in a bit over 1 hour for full charge.

That bulky chargers from UK and USA are the only thing that is keeping me from migrating to UK or USA . I just dont understand their existence and purpose.

Last edited:

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Nooo, noo, noo... That one is, i think UK charger! But then, they are all different with them pints and miles and such. This one is the EU one ( and eastern europe aswell) Image
And it charges iPhone and iPad mini. Iphone in a bit over 1 hour for full charge.

That bulky chargers from UK and USA are the only thing that is keeping me from migrating to UK or USA . I just dont understand their existence and purpose.

The UK 5W is the smallest plug I've seen for pretty much any device here.

And the third pin is a ground wire.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Grooves on the sides? Really?

Depressions are NOT grooves. Their purpose is NOT comfort but SAFETY when unplugging the plug so that people can pull on the plug and not on the wire.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Nobody has yet pointed out that the prongs do not fold up like the present ones do, making it more difficult to carry them around.

You are thinking of the iPad charger. The iPhone charger has fixed prongs.

Given Apple's preference for smaller & slimmer over functionality, if this design is authentic, it hopefully means they beefed it up a couple watts similar to how the iPad adapter was bumped to 12w from 10.

The indentions on the sides are a long time coming. It will make removing the adapter easier, especially in newer outlets that bear hug the prongs.

----------

Their purpose is NOT comfort but SAFETY when unplugging the plug so that people can pull on the plug and not on the wire.

It's both. Trust me, when you get past 45, even if you are in top physical shape, you want all the leverage you can get while bending down to remove a slick 1" adapter from a vice-grip like outlet.

But also, removing an iPhone adapter by the cable likely will leave you with the cable in hand, but the adapter still in the wall. The cable pops out of the adapter easier than the adapter out of the wall unless the outlet is old.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Nooo, noo, noo... That one is, i think UK charger! But then, they are all different with them pints and miles and such. This one is the EU one ( and eastern europe aswell) Image

You also seem to be struggling with the notion that the UK is also EU.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

You seem to be struggling with the notion that continental Europe uses a different plug than the U.K. As such, there are specific U.K. & EU adapters similar to how there are Pounds & Euros.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
O. M. G!!! A power adapter... Wow. It even has the standard 2 prongs.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
for us frequent flyers - flatter the better. i welcome the slight reduction in thickness!

i hope j.Ive will tell us how this new charger was designed, the injection molding processes used to make it, and the attention to detail never thought possible for a charger before

"2014 is the year of the charger"
I hope "Redesigned Power Adapter " appears in a word cloud of new and changed features that appears briefly on the screen because there are other, more interesting things to actually show us during the keynote.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I wonder if samsung will rip this off as well.

That was always one of the weaker "copy" examples.

There are plenty of rounded square chargers that look much closer to that Apple version. Just Google "usb wall charger" and click on the Image results.

As someone who owned both, Samsung's tablet power adapter was easily different from, and ergonomically superior to, Apple's. I never got them confused.

Besides their different curves and colors, Samsung's adapter had a nice finger ridge all around the USB end, so that you could easily pull it out from a socket, from any angle. Very nice. Function over form.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
If its wider than the current iPhone charger, then this will be a big disappointment for those who use theirs in a 4-jack receptacle plate. I can surest lit two side by side. This looks like it would take up some room of the second jack. :(

If they need more power to charge the new iPhone, then ship them with the iPad charger. They are right on the edge of being too thick, but do work side by side.

Just my two cents.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
The worrying thing here is Macrumors adding credence to part leak because it has written on it " made by Apple " ....

Here in the Uk as with most places there is a massive problem of cheap knockoff chargers that say " Made by Apple " but inside have extremely cheap components.

I personally hate not using Apple made chargers as I can not guarantee the quality. Even a 3rd party product from reputable suppliers have failed badly but a knockoff I would not touch.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014

... But, only when convenient.

c0e795947e960051bfb5670441adfa35.jpg

From further away to closer: ipad 1, iphone UK, iphone (rest of) EU.
Baby, that little thing I can carry in my pants pocket with no problem.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
... But, only when convenient.

From further away to closer: ipad 1, iphone UK, iphone (rest of) EU.
Baby, that little thing I can carry in my pants pocket with no problem.

The second one is also iPhone Ireland, iPhone Malta and iPhone Cyprus and looks to be the smallest of the three items in your photo.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
To me this design doesn't make sense for anything but a wall outlet. It will take up two spots on a standard single row power bar or outlet splitter. I'd rotate the prongs 90°.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
UK 3 pin for the win chaps
it provides a safer and more secure society! <-- I stole that from emperor palpatine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.