Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I keep running into this problem with iMessages. It’s super annoying.

I’m having an active conservation with someone. Normally, I expect that the responses will be threaded. But now (not exactly sure when) messages appear out of order. I’ll respond, and then the recipients response will come in and be threaded before my response.

I’ve done a horrible job describing this. I have a brain injury that affects time anyways. But this is super annoying.

Anyone else see this?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I’ve done a horrible job describing this. I have a brain injury that affects time anyways. But this is super annoying.

Are you a time traveller? – Sorry, genuinely sorry about your injury.

Anyways, I've seen this issue like once before, when my internet connection was really crappy for a while, but it stopped when the network was restored to normal.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

I’m having an active conservation with someone. Normally, I expect that the responses will be threaded. But now (not exactly sure when) messages appear out of order. I’ll respond, and then the recipients response will come in and be threaded before my response.

Anyone else see this?

I’ve been seeing this on both my personal and work iPhones for at least a week now. Ones a 6 and ones a 7.
The 6 is on the latest OS and the 7 is on the latest beta.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I have the same issue too after 11.2 update. Glad to know that it is not in my head only but not glad to have this mess up. When will apple stop breaking things which works fine.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Is the time wrong on your phone? That could cause what you are seeing.

Make sure time is set to automatic in settings.

It’s always set for automatic.
[doublepost=1513868307][/doublepost]Ok, I experienced this issue this morning on my iPad. I did a force quit on Messages, and then did a hard reset on the device. When I went back into Messages, it was in the correct order. Will monitor things and see if the issue comes back.

Reactions: riverfreak

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I had this issue on my iPad. Since I don't have location settings enabled I couldn't set time to automatic. However, I fixed it by changing my Timezone to something else and then back to my local TZ.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I had this issue on my iPad. Since I don't have location settings enabled I couldn't set time to automatic. However, I fixed it by changing my Timezone to something else and then back to my local TZ.

I tried that but didnt help :(

Yellowbean12

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Yes. Same thing happens to me. I’ll send several messages in a row, then my friend will reply to me, but iMessage puts their message before my messages - even though they’re replying to those very same messages!

Annoying glitch. Hope they fix it.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK

Anyone else see this?
Yup seeing it too, especially over the last couple of days. And I just wished they synced properly across devices too - I thought that was coming? Used my iPad earlier and there were chats from June that I have long since deleted on my phone.

Reactions: riverfreak

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2009
Hi I’ve seen in iMessage that the messages are displayed no longer in time sequence.

I’m seeing this bug in iMessage in both ios and MacOS

Anyone else with this bug? Thanks

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

Anyone else see this?
It’s almost as if iMessage place the other persons reply below the message they are replying to
Is this what you are seeing?

Time 1:00 You - what color is the car
Time 1:01 You- what year
Time 1:03 You- what model
Time 1:07 them red
Time 1:08 them 2010
Time 1:10 you how are you
Time 1:11 them Corolla
Time 1:12 them fine thanks

You are seeing
Time 1:00 You - what color is the car
Time 1:07 them red
Time 1:01 You- what year
Time 1:08 them 2010
Time 1:03 You- what model
Time 1:11 them Corolla
Time 1:10 you how are you
Time 1:12 them fine thanks

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Same issue. Happens sporadically. Mostly on my 10.5 pro. Not on ipX tho. Wierd. Incidentally, it also happened on ios10. Again, sporadically. Seems to correct itself and hasn't happened in over a week.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have not experienced this, but I was talking to a buddy of mine this past weekend and the same thing happens with his 6s. Him and I are in a iMessage group chat with another friend of ours and my texts always come in order, while my friend with the 6s come in sporadically out of order. I had him hard reset his phone, but still the issue persisted.

Jokingly I told him to get a new phone, but it appears to be a glitch with Apple.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i just now (like right now) experienced this BIG time on my mac.
a friend and I were iMessaging each other.
she was on her mac as well.
me on my mac.
her messages appear to be in order
but my messages got really messed up
some messages would appear way way up in the thread adjacent to messages sent 1 or 2 minutes before.
its not an iOS thing.
its an apple server thing.
maybe they are trying to roll out updates to iMessage servers for iMessages in the cloud and its impacting older versions of iMessages.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2009
So anyone seen if the problem is fixed with imessage?

For me I'm still seeing the problem discussed above. Please update. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.