Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure iOS 11.3 fixed this. May I ask what version of iOS you're on? That might be the answer to your problem.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I've noticed the issue dissipating on High Sierra since upgrading to 10.13.4, but a relative of mine still said she was getting messages out of order on her iPad despite updating. I'm convinced part of it is a server issue that no matter of update is going to resolve, it has to be fixed on Apple's end.

The good news though is that I've been seeing the problem less and less lately, so there's that.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I've noticed the issue dissipating on High Sierra since upgrading to 10.13.4, but a relative of mine still said she was getting messages out of order on her iPad despite updating. I'm convinced part of it is a server issue that no matter of update is going to resolve, it has to be fixed on Apple's end.

The good news though is that I've been seeing the problem less and less lately, so there's that.

I wonder if having iMessages go to High Sierra affects it

I don't have this issue but I'm on 11.1.2 AND I don't use messages app on my Mac

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
I have 11.3 on all of my devices now and haven’t seen a message out of order since updating.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I wonder if having iMessages go to High Sierra affects it

I don't have this issue but I'm on 11.1.2 AND I don't use messages app on my Mac

It's possible, the experience had been wildly random for me, but it seemed to clear up on my iOS devices first before it finally started to clear up on High Sierra.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Updated to 11.3 last week and my iMessages are still out of order.

Are you guys clearing old messages and starting a new message and still happens?

I’m assuming so

I’m also so thankful 11.1.2 doesn’t seem to have this problem after a handful of
Months of testing by being on it.
That would bug the crap out of me !!

iMessage is one of apple’s strengths too

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Supposedly iOS 11.4 has a (perhaps another) fix for this issue. Would be interesting to see if people are still experiencing it after updating.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Supposedly iOS 11.4 has a (perhaps another) fix for this issue. Would be interesting to see if people are still experiencing it after updating.

Still experiencing this on 11.4, as well as duplicates when long pressing on the notifications.

Rookie42

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2017
Surrey, UK
I have to say that since my last post (April 16th), I've not come across the issue again. It's possible I've just been lucky in that messages haven't been sent/received in sufficiently quick succession to give rise to the problem... but I think I've had a few rapid-fire conversations over imessage which would have shown it up if it were still there.
And I'm still on 11.3.x... gonna bite the bullet for 11.4 now anyway, though... especially since it claims to have AirPlay2! :)

Rookie42

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2017
Surrey, UK
Oh dear! Yesterday, I used Siri to send an imessage, while I was driving... I noticed when I got home, that my message, plus the two automated "do not disturb" messages sent as a result of the response appear AFTER the reply and the "urgent" used by the sender to break through the DND mode.

So... I had not seen the problem since my last post back in May, but now it has appeared again...

I'll look for an alternative thread, or create one, but this seems to have coincided with my (apple approved, I believe) Philips clock radio lightning dock now refusing to charge my iPhone 7.... just happened last night. I doubt this is related... but you never know.

Anyone else still getting / or getting again the imessage out of order problem this thread has been all about?

Roll on iOS 12... maybe???? :~)

jokilovato20

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
One quick troubleshooting step that can fix problems with iMessage is turning iMessage off and back on. 8 Ball Pool Think of it like restarting your iPhone — it’ll give iMessage a fresh start! Google Hangouts
Open up the Settings app and tap Messages. Omegle Then, tap the switch next to iMessage at the top of the screen. You’ll know iMessage is off when the switch is positioned to the left.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
From another thread post of mine:

Ran into an iMessage bug (8+)
  1. Received text from Person A (Android) - call it 12:00
  2. Received text from Person B (iPhone) - call it 12:01
  3. Replied to Person B @ 12:02
  4. Replied to Person A @ 12:03
In iMessage, it is sorted as
  1. Person B
  2. Person A
It appears to be sorted based on when received, sometimes.
Other times it works based on last message, sent or received.

I have tried the turn off/on iMessage. No joy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.