Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This is a problem on my Laptop, iPad and iPhones. All running the current OS as of this date/time. WTF Apple? You are sliding badly on a number of fonts QA-wise. Put out software that "just works".

On my laptop it stop receiving texts all together - so I have to keep my phone handy and check it. Sure enough texts come into my phone and are up to 5 minuted delayed on my laptop. This BS is exactly why I left Microsoft 10 years ago. They couldn't handle their own success.

Welcome to the newest edition of “De Ja Vu”. o_O

Reactions: thewhitehart

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I keep running into this problem with iMessages. It’s super annoying.

I’m having an active conservation with someone. Normally, I expect that the responses will be threaded. But now (not exactly sure when) messages appear out of order. I’ll respond, and then the recipients response will come in and be threaded before my response.

I’ve done a horrible job describing this. I have a brain injury that affects time anyways. But this is super annoying.

Anyone else see this?
It happens to me and my friend.. I don’t know why..

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Happened to me this morning. Annoying. It's in the correct order on my phone, but not Mac.

Edit: Quitting the Messages app and re-opening it fixed it.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
I contacted Apple support and they stated that the engineers were aware of the issue and were working on a fix.

Happened to me this morning. Annoying. It's in the correct order on my phone, but not Mac.

Edit: Quitting the Messages app and re-opening it fixed it.

Reactions: SigEp265

theGrimey

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018
Still on iOS10 here and I'm getting the bug in High Sierra messages app only - my 6S is displaying them fine.

I can live with it on the laptop, if I have to, but it'd do my ****ing head in seeing it on my phone too!

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I can't believe everyone is having this issue and Apple has done nothing to fix it. Apparently iOS 11.2.5 was supposed to fix iMessages out of order, but I'm still having the issue. I'm really hoping iOS 11.3 fixes the problem for good, but I'm pessimistic about it.

must be one heck of a bug they introduced that is taking this long to fix. iMessage been around since 2011 and this is first iOS version that I can recall with out of order messages. Hard to believe it isn't fixed yet.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Anyone else having issues where they send an iMessage and the reply is placed above the message you sent? I attached a pic showing the order of the messages re: 1, 2 and 3 being the reply.

bcbc7e7321aea6d80e0761a8ad419c98.jpg

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Yep, this was happening pretty regularly for me until recently. Not sure why - haven't done any updates - but it has suddenly started to work correctly in the past week. Knock on wood.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Apple tried to fix this in 11.2.5 and temporarily it worked, but for me this issue started again some time ago.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
That's good news. Hopefully it'll be fixed on 11.3, they've already known about this for a few months.

Well, as the saying goes...you can hope in one hand and **** in the other. See which one fills up first. ;)

Apple doesn't care about putting priority on fixing things that really matter...instead they're busy fixing an Indian language character that affects a speck of the total number of actual iPhone users.

Last edited by a moderator:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Well, as the saying goes...you can hope in one hand and **** in the other. See which one fills up first. ;)

Apple doesn't care about putting priority on fixing things that really matter...instead they're busy fixing an Indian language character that affects a speck of the total number of actual iPhone users.

I wonder how many people are experiencing the out of order bug? That they'll quickly fix a bug that affects 5 people while letting another that affects God only knows how many for months and months.

I mean, if I knew I was going to be enduring a Windows experience on Apple I would have stuck with Microsoft.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I can't believe everyone is having this issue and Apple has done nothing to fix it..

It doesn't work that way in software development. Once you're aware of an issue you have to find out what is causing it, and a bug such as this would be very difficult to reproduce since it isn't something easily replicated, it just seems to happen at random.

You first have to find a way to consistently reproduce the result, then you have to track down what is causing it, and only then can you find a fix. You also then have to hope that fix works for everything, not just the hardware configurations you have to test.

Just because it isn't fixed yet doesn't mean they're not working on it. They thought they had the fix in the last update but now it's shown it only fixed it for some people.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
(Raises her hand). I’m having same issue on beta 11.3. It’s infuriating!

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
imessage isn't working at all right now for any of us here in my office in Melbourne, is it working elsewhere???

I can't get my messages to send or receive on anything but my iPhone and I just tried singing out of I message and I can't sign back on, on my mac

Rookie42

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2017
Surrey, UK
Hmmm.... my wife upgraded to 11.2.6, and it seems OK between she and I when I have not upgraded yet.

Going to upgrade now and re-test. But between two phones on 11.2.5 (work and personal) it's still broken.

I'll update this when I've tested....

OK... so - I upgraded both my SE (work phone) and 7 (personal) to 11.2.6. Then, close all apps and hard reset for both phones, then start messages app and test.

Previously I had tested this, and was able to replicate the problem every time.

But now.... Everything seems to work perfectly.

My verdict - problem solved in 11.2.6! :)

Although I see one member has already said it's not... but maybe because of different hardware, or the user at the other end of the messages wasn't upgraded? Having said that - it appeared to work for me between my wife's 6s and my 7 when she'd upgraded and I had not.

Anyone else able to test and update?

Last edited:

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
could it be that the sender of the message is on an older version of iOS (which still has the bug), and its actually both parties (sender and recipient) that need to be on a bug free version of iOS for this problem to go away?

Rookie42

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2017
Surrey, UK
could it be that the sender of the message is on an older version of iOS (which still has the bug), and its actually both parties (sender and recipient) that need to be on a bug free version of iOS for this problem to go away?

Well - that was my point in my previous post.... from what I saw, it looked like it was working OK between my 7 on 11.2.5 and my wife's 6s on 11.2.6 just after she upgraded. Then, I tested between my 7 and my work SE, both on 11.2.5, and that failed - I was able to reply quickly (to myself) and show the messages in the wrong order - after upgrading them both, I couldn't replicate the problem anymore, and so I declared my verdict as "problem solved"! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.