Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I read somewhere that this could be their way of "testing" imessage in the cloud that originally supposed to come with iOS 11. The fact we all started seeing this with 11.2 is not a coincidence. My guess is they are testing the syncing to the cloud and using us all as guinea pigs before its released. Which is why so many of us with multiple devices (Mac, iPad, iPhone) show erratic behavior. I'd be curious on how many people that ONLY have an iPhone are seeing this.

This was raised in another thread and this happens irrespective of the number of devices and whether or not they are linked / synced.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
Recently, Messages in iOS 11 started doing something weird: When I send a message, the reply I get appears ABOVE my message (instead of below it, like it always has). I cannot find a setting to adjust this, and I'd hate to delete threads. This is doing it for all contacts.

Example:

(Oh) <-- Reply
Initial message --> (Schools are closed today.)
Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
This is fixed in the upcoming 11.2.5. The public beta is available now if you're willing, otherwise we should see a final release in a week or two.

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Apple have obviously employed a village idiot to work on iMessage. This is just the lastest example of their output, messages in the cloud being their opening salvo.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Apple have obviously employed a village idiot to work on iMessage. This is just the lastest example of their output, messages in the cloud being their opening salvo.

Give their recently quality, they must have employed a lot of village idiots, one for iMessage, one for High Sierra, one for MacBook builds, one for iOS 11, etc, etc.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
i had this problem before. I was on the latest version at the time but i only resolved it after noticing i was running low on space ( less than 100mb free) so i deleted some old texts and it started working again

luhab

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
I have the same issue too after 11.2 update. Glad to know that it is not in my head only but not glad to have this mess up. When will apple stop breaking things which works fine.
Same here (latest iOS-update on iPhone 6s) !! Very annoying

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
i had this problem before. I was on the latest version at the time but i only resolved it after noticing i was running low on space ( less than 100mb free) so i deleted some old texts and it started working again

I’m only using half the space in my 128GB 6S+ and have this problem so it’s nothing to do with device storage.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
I read somewhere that this could be their way of "testing" imessage in the cloud that originally supposed to come with iOS 11. The fact we all started seeing this with 11.2 is not a coincidence. My guess is they are testing the syncing to the cloud and using us all as guinea pigs before its released. Which is why so many of us with multiple devices (Mac, iPad, iPhone) show erratic behavior. I'd be curious on how many people that ONLY have an iPhone are seeing this.

My gf only has an iPhone and it happens to her as well. I have an iPhone on the latest OS and a MBP but it’s still on Sierra still.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
iOS 11.2.5 and High Siera 10.13.3 both fix this bug, expecting public release this week.

Rookie42

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2017
Surrey, UK
A number of people have said that 11.2.5 has fixed this, but I see a couple of people are still having the issue.
I've not tried to replicate it since installing 11.2.5, but I haven't noticed the problem since then. I wonder if the user at the other end of the conversation also needs to have updated their OS?

Hmmm.... just tested between iPhone 7 and iPhone SE both on 11.2.5, and the problem still exists for me.

Reactions: dk001

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
A number of people have said that 11.2.5 has fixed this, but I see a couple of people are still having the issue.
I've not tried to replicate it since installing 11.2.5, but I haven't noticed the problem since then. I wonder if the user at the other end of the conversation also needs to have updated their OS?

I thought maybe same and updated my wifes 6s also to 11.2.5, deleted our message threads, and still happening.

Rookie42

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2017
Surrey, UK
I thought maybe same and updated my wifes 6s also to 11.2.5, deleted our message threads, and still happening.

Yeah - I posted that, then tested, and edited my post... I have found the same thing. i.e. problem still exists even with both phones on 11.2.5.

Ah well... I guess we'll have to wait until 11.2.6? Or maybe 11.3?

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Reset iMessage on both my iPad Pro and iPhone X after updating to 11.2.5 hoping it would have resolved the out of order issue. It is still happening. This is really disappointing. When we pay some much money for our devices, we expect a few bugs, and major ones to be fixed quite fast. I know message in the cloud is in testing, but that’s no excuse for breaking something that was working fine. I want to have to continue my best experience on iMessage, not have a better one on Facebook messenger or Whatsapp where messages appear in correct order, this is getting frustrating.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Still happening on my end after updates, everything on my side was updated as well as those I text, who updated as well.

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I guess 7 betas or so of a minor iOS update (11.2.5) wasn't enough testing to declare this bug fixed, though the release notes do however say that it was addressed.

addressed , I guess, does not necessarily mean fixed.

jimholcomb

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2014
Cary, NC
I guess 7 betas or so of a minor iOS update (11.2.5) wasn't enough testing to declare this bug fixed, though the release notes do however say that it was addressed.

addressed , I guess, does not necessarily mean fixed.

Still happening for me on 11.2.5 also. Funny how iOS quality has gone down since they opened up the beta program, seems like with all the additional testers quality has actually gotten worse.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Are those having the issue experiencing it in the quick reply or in the actual messages app? Can't imagine why it's been fixed for me since beta 4 of 11.2.5 before it was even in their release notes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.