Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 6.0.3 is now available and includes subtitle and URL sync, faster streaming, new deinterlacing options, and many other improvements.

https://firecore.com/releases

Enjoy! :)

D4SjFFfUEAA3W6z.jpg

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Sorry if this is OT, and if it is, mods please move this post into a different thread.

I'm new to iPad, just bought the Air 3. Here is my setup and what I need, so I'm evaluating apps - if anyone can give me some pointers, I'd be very grateful.

Setup - I have a TON of movies on external HDDs hooked up to my late 2009 iMac through usb 2 connections. Basically, I have 11 8TB drives all hooked up to the iMac. This is my movie/TV collection. I watch all this on my 27" iMac using VLC. It's all kinds of formats, but all play on VLC.

What I'd like: My iMac is stationary in the study, I'd like to be able to take my Air into the bedroom, browse movies on my HDDs right from my iPad without downloading anything and just stream any movie from those HDDs on the iPad so I can watch in bed.

From my preliminary reading, it seems like VLC streamer might be an option. My question is what does Infuse do for me here compared to other options? TIA!

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Sorry if this is OT, and if it is, mods please move this post into a different thread.

I'm new to iPad, just bought the Air 3. Here is my setup and what I need, so I'm evaluating apps - if anyone can give me some pointers, I'd be very grateful.

Setup - I have a TON of movies on external HDDs hooked up to my late 2009 iMac through usb 2 connections. Basically, I have 11 8TB drives all hooked up to the iMac. This is my movie/TV collection. I watch all this on my 27" iMac using VLC. It's all kinds of formats, but all play on VLC.

What I'd like: My iMac is stationary in the study, I'd like to be able to take my Air into the bedroom, browse movies on my HDDs right from my iPad without downloading anything and just stream any movie from those HDDs on the iPad so I can watch in bed.

From my preliminary reading, it seems like VLC streamer might be an option. My question is what does Infuse do for me here compared to other options? TIA!
Infuse is a great option for this, as it will allow you to stream these videos to an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.

Additionally, you can use the library feature to group videos from multiple sources together so you can have one single library for the videos stored on multiple drives. You can also browse each drive individually, if you so desire.

A bit more info on setting up streaming in Infuse can be found here https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215090977-Streaming-From-Other-Devices and info on using the library can be found here https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000074814-Setting-Up-Your-Library

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 6.1 is now available, and includes some great new features.

Plex collections
Our friends using Plex can now join in the fun by accessing Collections. Collections are sets of related videos which are automatically grouped together under a single item. These can be found while browsing the ‘All Movies’ and ‘Collections’ sections in the library.

infuse61-collections_2x.jpg

Better TV episode downloads
Sync TV shows faster than ever with new download options. Now, when downloading TV episodes you'll also have the option to download the entire season, or just the episodes you haven't seen yet. More bingy, less tappy—yay!

infuse61-download_2x.jpg

A host of other under-the-hood changes
Packed into this release are a number of internal changes, ranging from better iCloud sync to enhanced frame-rate detection to improved HomePod support which are aimed at ensuring everything keeps working smoothly, no matter what type of videos you're playing or which device you choose to enjoy them on. A complete list of what's new can be found here.

Many good things to come
Apple announced a host of great new enhancements for iOS/tvOS 13, and we've been hard at work integrating these for upcoming versions of Infuse. More news on these features will be available in the coming weeks. #staytuned

We always love hearing your comments, feedback, and suggestions—so please feel free to post a message in our forum, @ us on Twitter or drop us a note anytime.

Enjoy!

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I can't figure out how to get Infuse to see my files on one of my drives with my PC over the internet remotely. How would I go about setting this up please? I figured out how to see them over my local network but that was easy.

Did read all the Infuse documents online. I don't have a NAS.

I am on Windows 10 Pro.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The reason that you can't connect to your home server remotely is that your Internet router most likely uses NAT and/or a firewall, which both block external access unless you deliberately create a port forwarding. This is a good thing for security reasons. Some services such as Plex use external servers to orchestrate a remote connection from the server in your home network to the remote client. This requires signing up for an account (which has some potential privacy implications since the external party can see everything you play back if they want to) and you have to rely on said party to not expose your home network to remote attacks through bugs in their software.

Infuse does not offer this kind of service, and there is no account you need to sign up for. It is possible to securely connect to your home server remotely by setting up a VPN server, but that it a bit more involved.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 6.2 is available today and includes some fancy new features.

All-new custom playlists

Playlists have arrived in Infuse 6.2! Now with just a few taps you can easily group lists of your favorite movies, shows, and home videos together. Playlists sync via iCloud (Pro only), so your lists will always be up-to-date no matter which device you find yourself using. Playlists can also be pinned to the home screen on Apple TV for quick and easy access.

Playlists

Loop and shuffle

Loop and shuffle are making their debut in 6.2. These handy new options can be used for just about anything, including: playlists, folders, library categories, and more. Shuffle play random episodes from your favorite TV series, set up a looping playlist of Peppa Pig episodes for your little ones, or just sit back and watch the entire LoTR trilogy in order. The options are endless.

Loop and shuffle

More external storage

Get more space for your favorite videos on iOS. Infuse now supports direct playback from USB devices on iPad, as well as the latest SanDisk iXpand Go flash drives. iXpand devices will appear right inside Infuse, and USB devices can be accessed via the iOS Files app or through the ‘via Documents’ option in Infuse.

More USB drives

Plus a few other improvements...

We've also squeezed in a smattering of other small under-the-hood changes to help things work better than ever before. A complete list of what's new can be found here.

Thanks!

We always love hearing your comments, feedback, and suggestions—so please feel free to post a message in our forum, @ us on Twitter or drop us a note anytime.

Thanks so much for using Infuse! ?

Reactions: Rigby and zokstar

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Like Infuse more than nPlayer, just wish it had upnp and dlna support so we could cast to smart tv’s.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Happy 2020! ?

Infuse 6.2.5 is our first update of the year and includes a slew of little improvements and fixes to get your new decade started off on the right foot.

Enjoy! ?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 6.3 has arrived and includes some exciting new features.

Dolby Atmos
Infuse's arsenal of codecs is now a little bit bigger with the addition of Dolby Atmos (E-AC3). Dolby Atmos provides 2-4 new height channels (IE ceiling speakers) which allow for audio effects to come at you from even more places. With this new update, Infuse becomes the first and only 3rd party video player app on iOS or Apple TV to feature full support for both Dolby Vision (single-layer) and Dolby Atmos (E-AC3). Hooray!

Dolby Atmos

Variable-speed playback
Easily speed up or slow down videos to accommodate a wide variety of different watching scenarios. Choose from one of the pre-defined speeds, or set a custom speed of your own in increments of 0.05x. You can also set a preferred playback speed in Settings, so the speed won't need to be adjusted each time a new video is started.

Variable-speed playback

Plus a few other things...
We've also packed in a litany of other improvements and fixes to ensure everything continue working smoothly. A complete list of what's new can be found here.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for using Infuse! ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.