Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Many HD MKV files will work in the free version, they just cannot have DTS or Dolby audio.

The Pro version of Infuse includes some technology that requires expensive licenses, and sadly ads in the free version wouldn't be enough to cover that.

I am not wanting to argue, you know better than me about licensing, but there are free apps (their UI is ugly as hell, mind you) that will play files that the free version will not. I am unsure how they get around it. I won't mention them here as my intention is not to drive sales away. AFAIK, VLC, when it was available, also handled these files just fine. On jailbroken devices, XBMC does the same.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I am not wanting to argue, you know better than me about licensing, but there are free apps (their UI is ugly as hell, mind you) that will play files that the free version will not. I am unsure how they get around it. I won't mention them here as my intention is not to drive sales away. AFAIK, VLC, when it was available, also handled these files just fine. On jailbroken devices, XBMC does the same.

The truth is licensing is complicated, and we've made the free version of Infuse as robust as we possibly can in order to show what it can do.

If you like the look and feel of the free version, I'm confident you won't be disappointed by the playback capabilities found when upgrading to Pro. Additionally, if something does come up feel free to drop us an email or PM and we'll do our best to make it right.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The truth is licensing is complicated, and we've made the free version of Infuse as robust as we possibly can in order to show what it can do.

If you like the look and feel of the free version, I'm confident you won't be disappointed by the playback capabilities found when upgrading to Pro. Additionally, if something does come up feel free to drop us an email or PM and we'll do our best to make it right.

I appreciate the quick responses. Thank you.

ReallyNiceGuy

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Consider throwing some ads into the free version but allowing people to use all the features. All I care about is HD MKV. Not willing to drop $10 just to try it. No offense. Just been burned too many times.

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. I don't want to pay $10 for a hope. I was interested in .mkv testing with DTS, Airtime and ensuring audio and video sync properly for playback. The free version doesn't show me this so unfortunately I can't move forward.

What about another option of a trial version that is time based? For example the trial version expires in 7 days after first use. There are lots of desktop apps out there that market themselves using this approach (not sure about iOS).

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Consider throwing some ads into the free version but allowing people to use all the features. All I care about is HD MKV. Not willing to drop $10 just to try it. No offense. Just been burned too many times.

Infuse is top of the bill but a bit more expensive indeed. I use VidOn Player HD (free) and nPlayer (4,99 dollar) which are also pretty good in support a lot of video files including HD MKV files.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Well I hope they will soon support HTTP streamin otherwise it's useless for me.
Untill than I use nPlayer.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. I don't want to pay $10 for a hope. I was interested in .mkv testing with DTS, Airtime and ensuring audio and video sync properly for playback. The free version doesn't show me this so unfortunately I can't move forward.

What about another option of a trial version that is time based? For example the trial version expires in 7 days after first use. There are lots of desktop apps out there that market themselves using this approach (not sure about iOS).

Sadly, the license agreements we have in place won't allow this.

Over the past 18 months since it's original release, Infuse has maintained a consistent 4.5 star App Store rating. We take great pride in providing the best option for playback on iOS, and are still working to make improvements everyday.

As with the previous poster, if you decide to take the plunge and run into any issues feel free to get in touch and we'll make it right.

----------

Infuse is top of the bill but a bit more expensive indeed. I use VidOn Player HD (free) and nPlayer (4,99 dollar) which are also pretty good in support a lot of video files including HD MKV files.

Just keep in mind that Infuse is the only player in the App Store to support DTS audio, and streaming of MKVs over native AirPlay. :)

----------

Well I hope they will soon support HTTP streamin otherwise it's useless for me.

HTTP streaming is something we're working to add. Stay tuned.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Sadly, the license agreements we have in place won't allow this.

Over the past 18 months since it's original release, Infuse has maintained a consistent 4.5 star App Store rating. We take great pride in providing the best option for playback on iOS, and are still working to make improvements everyday.

As with the previous poster, if you decide to take the plunge and run into any issues feel free to get in touch and we'll make it right.

----------

Just keep in mind that Infuse is the only player in the App Store to support DTS audio, and streaming of MKVs over native AirPlay. :)

----------

HTTP streaming is something we're working to add. Stay tuned.

Looking forward! Thanks

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I assume to support hi10p today's update is now using videotoolbox to decode mkvs on ios8?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Hi, can you suggest what are exactly different between v2 pro and v3 pro besides DTS audio? Thanks.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I assume to support hi10p today's update is now using videotoolbox to decode mkvs on ios8?

Partial support...full support is coming soon.

----------

Hi, can you suggest what are exactly different between v2 pro and v3 pro besides DTS audio? Thanks.

Right now the only difference between Infuse Pro in v2 and v3 is DTS audio. However, we're working to add more features to v3 Pro such as Chromecast streaming, position sync, iCloud sync, and more.

Stay tuned. :)

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I stumped up the £6.99 for the Pro version last night - figured I'm going to get a lot of use from it and don't want to have to worry about getting a film and it not play.

Look forward to future updates.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I stumped up the £6.99 for the Pro version last night - figured I'm going to get a lot of use from it and don't want to have to worry about getting a film and it not play.

Look forward to future updates.

Thanks!

More great things to come. :)

mavere

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Is AVC 10bit actually confirmed to work on A7 chips?

I'm trying 10bit samples (both personally encoded and grabbed from the web) on both a 5S and a Mini 2, and I'm seeing subtle-to-blatant macroblock errors and an overall chroma shift in every single clip.

Mini 2 is on 8.1.1. 5S is on 8.2b1.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Is AVC 10bit actually confirmed to work on A7 chips?

I'm trying 10bit samples (both personally encoded and grabbed from the web) on both a 5S and a Mini 2, and I'm seeing subtle-to-blatant macroblock errors and an overall chroma shift in every single clip.

Mini 2 is on 8.1.1. 5S is on 8.2b1.
Sorry about that.

Feel free to drop us a note with any issues and we can assist.
http://firecore.com/contact

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Please add h.265 support when you can. The file sizes are much smaller at comparable quality settings at h.264. Both nPlayer and AVPlayer support h.265 although I have to admit with software decoding it seems like I really strain even an A8 / A8X processor. I wish apple would just open up the API for hardware h.265 decoding on those chips....

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Please add h.265 support when you can. The file sizes are much smaller at comparable quality settings at h.264. Both nPlayer and AVPlayer support h.265 although I have to admit with software decoding it seems like I really strain even an A8 / A8X processor. I wish apple would just open up the API for hardware h.265 decoding on those chips....

We'll see what we can do.

Thanks!

frequenzy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
i'm trying to test infuse 3 but it looks like turning off metadata fetching is not working. i chose list view, but everytime i browse the folders of my dlna server it tries to fetch something. how can i turn this off completely? this is a major issue for me since our internet is on volume allocation only.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
i'm trying to test infuse 3 but it looks like turning off metadata fetching is not working. i chose list view, but everytime i browse the folders of my dlna server it tries to fetch something. how can i turn this off completely? this is a major issue for me since our internet is on volume allocation only.

The metadata fetching option refers to online metadata only. Instead of searching and downloading info from TMDb, Infuse will display metadata that is embedded within the file itself.

If you are looking for a completely bare bones list view, you can browse the share through the 'Add Files' menu (tap + icon from home menu).

Hope this helps. :)

frequenzy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
subtitle support

Does infuse support .srt subtitle when playing via dlna server? I use Serviio as the media server. Subtitle is placed on the same folder as the movie.

e.g.
Movie.mkv
Movie.srt

Subtitle is enabled but its not displayed. Tried playing the same movie via Nplayer and it works correctly.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Can Infuse play movies with subtitles tracks that are separate? I have some movies that contain a separate file for English subtitles. Not sure how that would work.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Does infuse support .srt subtitle when playing via dlna server? I use Serviio as the media server. Subtitle is placed on the same folder as the movie.

e.g.
Movie.mkv
Movie.srt

Subtitle is enabled but its not displayed. Tried playing the same movie via Nplayer and it works correctly.

External .srt files are supported, so it's a bit strange they're not showing up for you.

If you can drop us a note with a few more details about your setup we can definitely look into what's going on.
http://firecore.com/contact

----------

Can Infuse play movies with subtitles tracks that are separate? I have some movies that contain a separate file for English subtitles. Not sure how that would work.

Yes, external subtitles are supported. Additionally, Infuse allows for downloading subtitles on the fly from OpenSubtitles. In the app you will have options for selecting from any available subtitle tracks, whether they be embedded, external, or downloaded from within Infuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.