Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
So I just owned a 70 with me and my friend who are both Level 58 DK. Man DK are so OP its awesome. We are the destroyers of worlds. I hope not ev1 goes DK so I have some other players to fight.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
So I just owned a 70 with me and my friend who are both Level 58 DK. Man DK are so OP its awesome. We are the destroyers of worlds. I hope not ev1 goes DK so I have some other players to fight.

hehe. It's prolly more that you outnumbered him and he didn't know how to counter DK's yet. Blizzard wouldn't let too many imbalances go without notice. They are known for nerfing things. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you are 61.5, blow off your remaining quest and head to Outlands (Hellfire peninsula).

The best WoW suggestion I've heard lately. So yesterday my 61.5, (now 63) stumbled though the Dark Portal to a whole new world. The XP here is simply amazing! I was going from 300xp per kill in Slithus or Plaguelands to 900-1100xp per kill in Outlands. And although Hellfire Penninsula is another hell hole, it was a refreshing change of pace. Just me wandering around, I got invited to both Ramparts and Blood Furnace in the Horde Citadel. I think I died and went to heaven because both of these were 5 player dungeons taking about an hour each to finish.

Hellfire Citadel[/url

Also it seems the Dark Knights are the current flavor of choice as there are more of them running around than you can shake a stick at. One party I was in had me (Pally), 3 DKs, and a Druid. During one of the instances there was this big blue bubble that appeared, but I never figured out if it was the Druid or a DK that was creating it. By far the coolest DK spells was the "Snatcher" (un official name) where they could virtually reach out and yank someone in an instant next to them to be subsequently pounded in close proximity. :D

I needed access to the Bank so I ended up riding down through the Zangar Marsh, then cut South to Shattrath (a Draenei town) in Terrokhar. Also got the flight path there. Interesting ride. Outlands tends to be bazaar. :)

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I just hit level 74 with my main, and I have to say this is definitely much better than The Burning Crusade. Howling Fjord, Dragonblight, Crystalsong Forest, Grizzly Hills are simply beautiful places. But I think the grind to level 80 is a bit too slow for my tastes.

By the way, I still haven't changed any of my gear to new ones, I had tier 4/5/6 level gear on so I believe this stuff will do fine until level 80.

ScottC2105

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
I have started playing WoW again with the Mrs (it is the best and "only" MMO for Mac OSX anyway) after trying WAR and some other MMOs. We don't really like TBC, it is a very messy place. We are hoping Wrath of the Lich King will be better once we hit 68, we are currently level 64 and we are both mages.

Death Knights are making WoW horrible though, since we restarted 2 days ago all you see is death knights, all wanting to dual with you and very rude if I might add.

I hope Blizzard do something about Death Knights being way overpowered above everyone else, I can see raids becoming "Death Knight Only" in the near future.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
The best WoW suggestion I've heard lately. So yesterday my 61.5, (now 63) stumbled though the Dark Portal to a whole new world. The XP here is simply amazing! I was going from 300xp per kill in Slithus or Plaguelands to 900-1100xp per kill in Outlands. :)
I just left the DK starting area and thought I would explore some of the regions I passed over or did not do a while lot of till I hit 60. So I am staring at Slithus and definitely enjoying it. I have a 70 and know what to look forward to in the Outlands. But to tell you the truth, I had a heck of a lot of fun at the DK Starting Area. Once you get to Org then you have to endure the rotten food thrown at you until you complete that first quest. But overall a great time....

Bill....:apple:

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I'm almost 73. Didn't start till Friday though to take some of early rush. My guild already has a few 80s and people close but I'm happy doing a level a day. In 8/8 T6 on my warrior and stuff just dies. Also, topped the meters on every instance I've not tanked for.

A little slower than TBC but it seems better designed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just hit level 74 with my main, and I have to say this is definitely much better than The Burning Crusade. Howling Fjord, Dragonblight, Crystalsong Forest, Grizzly Hills are simply beautiful places. But I think the grind to level 80 is a bit too slow for my tastes.

By the way, I still haven't changed any of my gear to new ones, I had tier 4/5/6 level gear on so I believe this stuff will do fine until level 80.

Question from the ignerant- where is the expansion located? Initially Outlands seems bazaar. I've only been to 3 zones going down to Shrattrath to find a bank. I know I could research it but answers from forum members are more fun. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just left the DK starting area and thought I would explore some of the regions I passed over or did not do a while lot of till I hit 60. So I am staring at Slithus and definitely enjoying it. I have a 70 and know what to look forward to in the Outlands. But to tell you the truth, I had a heck of a lot of fun at the DK Starting Area. Once you get to Org then you have to endure the rotten food thrown at you until you complete that first quest. But overall a great time....

Bill....:apple:

My understanding is that you need a L55 character to start a DK?

Why Play a DK? (Death Knight for uninitiated) :)
As there are SO MANY DKs running around Outlands, maybe a brief description of why they are so fun. And where is their starting area?
Thanks! :)
-Dave

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm almost 73. Didn't start till Friday though to take some of early rush. My guild already has a few 80s and people close but I'm happy doing a level a day.

Addiction shows it's ugly face! ;) (Kidding)

In 8/8 T6 on my warrior and stuff just dies. Also, topped the meters on every instance I've not tanked for.

A little slower than TBC but it seems better designed.

I may have to pop for the WLK. The new areas, what level are they?

Queue's are becoming a regular occurrence to get logged in. :(
Thanks.

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
My understanding is that you need a L55 character to start a DK? As there are SO MANY DKs running around Outlands, maybe a brief description of why they are so fun. And where is their starting area?
-Dave

The starting area is in the plaguelands.

I rolled a DK and I have to admit that it really is fun. The DK quests feel more original than the typical kill xx of these mobs and gather 10 of these although there is a little of that. The final DK quest is epic and really fun to do.

In outlands, the DK at 58 feels more powerful than any of my other chars at that same level. Partly because he is in all blues and partly because the class really is powerful. I went Unholy in spec and it is awesome for DPS and the 20% mount speed increase is welcomed. My only problem is I got so used to the druid's ability to heal that I get myself into tight spots. I am still adjusting to the Warlock/Warrior approach but it is serious dmg even while I am not playing it well.

I think it feels like more fun because it feels different in play style and it feels more powerful.

-mx

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I have started playing WoW again with the Mrs (it is the best and "only" MMO for Mac OSX anyway) after trying WAR and some other MMOs. We don't really like TBC, it is a very messy place. We are hoping Wrath of the Lich King will be better once we hit 68, we are currently level 64 and we are both mages.

Death Knights are making WoW horrible though, since we restarted 2 days ago all you see is death knights, all wanting to dual with you and very rude if I might add.

I hope Blizzard do something about Death Knights being way overpowered above everyone else, I can see raids becoming "Death Knight Only" in the near future.

You can always bootcamp Vista. This way you would also get to use those add-ons ppl make for Windows that help with the interface and gameplay.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You can always bootcamp Vista. This way you would also get to use those add-ons ppl make for Windows that help with the interface and gameplay.

Aren't all addons based on WoW's built in scripting system? Hence removing all system dependant requirements?

If you're looking for a addon manager, look up WoWMatrix, it uses curse.com for all it's updates.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
My understanding is that you need a L55 character to start a DK?

Why Play a DK? (Death Knight for uninitiated) :)
As there are SO MANY DKs running around Outlands, maybe a brief description of why they are so fun. And where is their starting area?
-Dave

I was surprised that ultimately they just went with one new class. Are they planning to add more "hero class inspirations"? Sorceress? Demon Hunter?

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Aren't all addons based on WoW's built in scripting system? Hence removing all system dependant requirements?

If you're looking for a addon manager, look up WoWMatrix, it uses curse.com for all it's updates.

Oh it is? I didn't know that you can install them on both. I guess most people I know who play these things don't use a Mac for games so I've never seen it. :)

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
I was surprised that ultimately they just went with one new class. Are they planning to add more "hero class inspirations"? Sorceress? Demon Hunter?

Blizz refers to the DK as the "first" hero class in the documentation so, I am pretty sure that they will introduce others. However, I am not sure the game will live long enough to see many more come forward.

-mx

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Blizz refers to the DK as the "first" hero class in the documentation so, I am pretty sure that they will introduce others. However, I am not sure the game will live long enough to see many more come forward.

-mx

I want a Pandaren Brewmaster! That guy was awesome! :p

There hasn't been a game to knock it down yet. Conan and WarHammer were good prospects but it didn't do it. Now I've head about Star Wars MMO but I'm not sure if they can pull that off considering how bad a lot of Star Wars games titles are. And I tried Lord of the Rings. Damn that game sucked. :p

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Oh it is? I didn't know that you can install them on both. I guess most people I know who play these things don't use a Mac for games so I've never seen it. :)
I think it's just a Java app, so it prolly does run on Windoze as well. At least it feels like a Java app. Not exactly polished, but it's really great nonetheless, makes addon management soooo much easier than doing it manually. Huge timesaver. Only thing I wish is that is had facilities to sync your addons across multiple installations of WoW, since I have it on 3 different boxes.

Boss250

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Hi, I just installed W.O.W. a few weeks ago, and its so big! like 12gb. and I'm on a mini so Im working with 80gb, with an external, but I like to keep my startup as clear as possible so Im looking here first too see if anyone could let me know what kind things I could delete in the WOW folder with out affecting anything, and also, does anyone know of an automatic HD cleaner that I could use to slim down my apps safely?

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I think it's just a Java app, so it prolly does run on Windoze as well. At least it feels like a Java app. Not exactly polished, but it's really great nonetheless, makes addon management soooo much easier than doing it manually. Huge timesaver. Only thing I wish is that is had facilities to sync your addons across multiple installations of WoW, since I have it on 3 different boxes.

Are you talking about like prices, kills and those kind of logs? You should be able to find some files it stores it in. Look for the date changed. I'm sure it's not that hard to figure out.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Are you talking about like prices, kills and those kind of logs? You should be able to find some files it stores it in. Look for the date changed. I'm sure it's not that hard to figure out.
Well I'm talking about it sychronizing which addons you have installed across computers, along with their preferences and data. Sure, I could manually do it, but when you have a few dozen addons that's a big job. I'd like to tell WowMatrix something like "If I delete an addon here, delete it on all these other machines too, or when I add an addon, add it to the others the next time I log on as well."

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Btw, anyone on Caelestraz?

Did you want to have it so that when you quit it would sync your 'Addons' folder across or other installs? Well, you could do it with AppleScript or a Shell script if you're mildly proficient with mac.

Hi, I just installed W.O.W. a few weeks ago, and its so big! like 12gb. and I'm on a mini so Im working with 80gb, with an external, but I like to keep my startup as clear as possible so Im looking here first too see if anyone could let me know what kind things I could delete in the WOW folder with out affecting anything, and also, does anyone know of an automatic HD cleaner that I could use to slim down my apps safely?

No, you need every every file inside the 'World of Warcraft' to be the way the updaters and installers leave it, otherwise the game won't launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.