Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
pallys are ****.
my lock is boring, Shadow Priest is awesome fun.
as are shamans
and druids.
i reccomend hybrids for mixing things up without relevelling

lock is slowest to level

in arena i am SL/SL on my lock, i use felhunter on caster but they also harrass melee targets quite well!

Since I originally quit the game, they have done quite a lot to make Pally combat more visually appealing. I recently grouped with a mid level Pally and he got my interest back to take my Pally up to 70 and see if I get sick of the class again or not.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Honestly, I have grown so weary of all the nerd rage and pointless hostility and flat-out terrible players that I've lost any desire to continue. I really want out of the endless loop of faction rep and inventory maintenance, too. It's become like a job I have to pay for.

It's a good game, but enough is enough.

Burn out, I think it happens to the majority. The question becomes how long before you return if you return? :D

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I'm not saying you're wrong. I just had a L70 Druid buddy power me through Strath. He was aggroing groups of 15 mobs in bear form and wiping the floor with them. It was pretty impressive.

However, honestly I have never liked power leveling. There is an experience to be had in ever instance and powering through short changes it. I did that once in West Fall with a character where they ran me through that zone in about an hour. That is why I usually resist having a L70 drop in on a leveling instance because you quickly get the reward, but where is the challenge and the fun?

LOL I've tanked strat on my holy priest at 70. Except for the last boss. POM and renew on myself and a holy fire opener. Wasn't even that hard when the noobs aggro'd half the room.

Not saying druids make bad tanks, but strat isn't really a good test for a 70 tank.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Could anybody with a high level character help me level up pm me?

As I stated in another post, power leveling quickly obtains a goal, but you pay a price to do it, spoiling a large amount of very enjoyable content and depending on what level you currently are, might hinder your knowledge of playing a class.

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
If my experience with Diablo II is any indicator, the burnout will likely be permanent. I may jump back in for a bit once they discount the Xpac, though.

Still and all, two years on one game regardless of the circumstances is puh-lenty in my opinion. Blizzard has set it up so the adventure treadmill never ends, and I ain't getting any younger here.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Huntn,

I know you don't like raiding but you should give both Kara and Gruul's lair a try when you hit 70. Kara is a longer 10 person instance and Gruul's lair is a very short 25 person instance. Both can easily be pugged and Gruul's lair might take 1/2 hour to complete (it takes longer to put together a 25 person PuG together then to finish the run :) ).

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Is WotLK going to be the end Expansion? Is Arthas the grand final boss? Or is there going to be a 90? 100?

Well, if this is the final, then you GOTTA play if you are even thinking about it.
Other than that, I would imagine it's still fun anyway, but not as cool as when everyone is playing knowing this is their last chance to "experience fresh content" on the same level.

Senor360

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Well...

Is WotLK going to be the end Expansion? Is Arthas the grand final boss? Or is there going to be a 90? 100?

Well, if this is the final, then you GOTTA play if you are even thinking about it.
Other than that, I would imagine it's still fun anyway, but not as cool as when everyone is playing knowing this is their last chance to "experience fresh content" on the same level.

I highly doubt that this will be the last one, although at the same time it would be cool if it was. It would mean that Blizzard might move on to another MMO (*cough*Starcraft*cough*) :D

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I highly doubt that this will be the last one, although at the same time it would be cool if it was. It would mean that Blizzard might move on to another MMO (*cough*Starcraft*cough*)
We do know for certain that Blizzard is working on another unnamed MMO, though World of Starcraft? Who knows. It's also pretty certain based on what's been said that there will be more WoW expansions. It would be downright silly to discontinue it while they're raking in so much money.

Funnily enough in the time it's taking for WotLK to come out, I've taken a break from WoW and had some time to consider not playing — at least for a while. I had tremendous fun in TBC but raiding is such a huge timesink that I'm not sure. It's all or nothing for me since I wouldn't enjoy playing "just a little" like the OP is doing and would want to continue with the 25 mans with my guild.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I highly doubt that this will be the last one, although at the same time it would be cool if it was. It would mean that Blizzard might move on to another MMO (*cough*Starcraft*cough*) :D
I doubt WoW would end any time soon as well. 11 millions subscribers, that's more than USD$150 million per month discounting transfer and miscellaneous fee. Even if the developers grew tired of the game, I'm sure the suits will still beat the horse relentlessly.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Now that I have a computer to play it (new MBP), I spent the 10 hours to download WoW and all its patches. I'm going to do the 10-day trial and see what happens.

I now have a "Play World of Warcraft" icon on my desktop. That icon is kind of like Pandora's Box. I've never played before, but I know my personality. I really, really want to double click it. But I know that as soon as I do, I'll be sucked in.

Sigh. Seriously. I like my marriage. I really do. But the icon beckons...

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Now that I have a computer to play it (new MBP), I spent the 10 hours to download WoW and all its patches. I'm going to do the 10-day trial and see what happens.

I now have a "Play World of Warcraft" icon on my desktop. That icon is kind of like Pandora's Box. I've never played before, but I know my personality. I really, really want to double click it. But I know that as soon as I do, I'll be sucked in.

That is just the most stereotypical notion there is out there.
Slob who eats hotpockets all day without showering in front of the computer killing little kids.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2013601753

Are there really people like this? Probably...out of 11 million players, there's also a chance that there's a billionaire there too!!!

Oh, and Grand Theft Auto makes people go out and shoot cops, right? Out of the gazillion people who played that game, how many do you think would shoot a cop. I'll have to admit that I feel like it sometimes and I never played GTA! :D

Media headlines are there for one purpose...to sell you the stuff of their Ad partners. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

BTW, I'm not sure if the trial lets you make Burning Crusade characters. If not and you want to make one, you have to start all over after the 10 days and buy TBC as well as WOW.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
I reactivated my account and am playing my alt rogue on smolderthorn with a friend. I forgot how much fun this game is and we are planning to chill @ 60-69 bracket while our friends level up so we can grind to 80 together. PVP, questing, and 5-mans are the most fun for me. Raiding was the reason I got bored the first time, so I am going to try my best to avoid the item grind.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn,

I know you don't like raiding but you should give both Kara and Gruul's lair a try when you hit 70. Kara is a longer 10 person instance and Gruul's lair is a very short 25 person instance. Both can easily be pugged and Gruul's lair might take 1/2 hour to complete (it takes longer to put together a 25 person PuG together then to finish the run :) ).

Oki dokey, I'll consider it especially if you're talking 1 hr or less. A regular 40 player raid took an hour just to get everyone there. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Has Blizzard said ANYTHING about a WoW end date? As long as you have anything over 200,000 subscribers, I imagine it will continue forever with endless expansion.! ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Listen dude, don't let WoW become your drug of choice. Keep it casual and you'll be o.k. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I reactivated my account and am playing my alt rogue on smolderthorn with a friend. I forgot how much fun this game is and we are planning to chill @ 60-69 bracket while our friends level up so we can grind to 80 together. PVP, questing, and 5-mans are the most fun for me. Raiding was the reason I got bored the first time, so I am going to try my best to avoid the item grind.

Sounds good to me. 5-players are basically casual endeavors. I don't even know if the new expansion includes 40 player raids, 20 maybe? Anyway, 40 player raids killed the game for me the first time.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
That is just the most stereotypical notion there is out there.
Very true. You don't have to ruin your life to play WoW just because some people have. As long as you know how to prioritize. For me it simply became WoW instead of other games, never instead of more important things.

With the boss nerfs post-3.0.2 patch, everything seems to be super easy. And since Gruul was already the easiest and shortest, I bet it's quite easy now.

I don't even know if the new expansion includes 40 player raids, 20 maybe? Anyway, 40 player raids killed the game for me the first time.
25 man was the biggest in TBC and the same in Wrath. They've said they don't plan to ever increase that number.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Very true. You don't have to ruin your life to play WoW just because some people have. As long as you know how to prioritize. For me it simply became WoW instead of other games, never instead of more important things.

With the boss nerfs post-3.0.2 patch, everything seems to be super easy. And since Gruul was already the easiest and shortest, I bet it's quite easy now.

25 man was the biggest in TBC and the same in Wrath. They've said they don't plan to ever increase that number.

I heard they made it easier to "catch up". I guess you don't have to "grind" as much. And you probably can do those 40-man instances with just a couple of higher levels just to check it out. There's less people requirements for most of the new stuff. And if you want to go solo, I'm sure you'll be able to get to 80 just from solo quests alone.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I heard they made it easier to "catch up". I guess you don't have to "grind" as much. And you probably can do those 40-man instances with just a couple of higher levels just to check it out. There's less people requirements for most of the new stuff. And if you want to go solo, I'm sure you'll be able to get to 80 just from solo quests alone.

I'm trying to remember the specifics of being easier to catch up. It might have something to do with the amount of xp you now get for kills as compared to before? I remember a "rest" aspect from before. If your character is rested (blue xp bar vs purple), you get double xp. That maybe more generous now in how long it lasts.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I'm trying to remember the specifics of being easier to catch up. It might have something to do with the amount of xp you now get for kills as compared to before? I remember a "rest" aspect from before. If your character is rested (blue xp bar vs purple), you get double xp. That maybe more generous now in how long it lasts.

They just make you gain more XP from areas.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=200526

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I have this sickness that some people call altoholism... I have a main that is in tier 6 gear (a human holy priest) and I do all raids with that char, but I have many alts and I just can't keep myself from leveling them. Right now I'm at level 43 on both an undead priest and a draenei warrior. I wouldn't mind if they cut the leveling XP needs again, as doing the same quests over and over again for many characters just isn't very fun :( The grind from level 30-50 is the most painful and boring part IMO. Makes me wish I had created another account for myself using that recruit-a-friend program to get triple XP.

At least with the Death Knight they get to start from level 55, I wouldn't think it'd be game-breaking if at some point they allowed players to simply create level 55 characters of any class...

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Listen dude, don't let WoW become your drug of choice. Keep it casual and you'll be o.k. :)

LOL. I'll try! I created an account and did a little playing last night. Got my Human Mage to Level 9. I'll do a little more tonight.

WayOutWest

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Lexington, KY
But if you decide to be a wuss and relapse, go Shadow Priest on a PvP Server. Hell hath no fury like a Priest that melts faces.

That's me! I've got a 70 SPriest ready to go when WOTLK is released. Haven't played in about 3 months but I am ready to get back into it. Only thing standing between me and Wrath is an exam and 10 page research paper :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.