Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
it depends on what you are playing for. If I just wanted raid gear I could play 2 nights a week but I get super addicted when it comes to pvp

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
If I just wanted raid gear I could play 2 nights a week but I get super addicted when it comes to pvp
Funny, I see it the other way around. Raiding requires a fairly serious and regular time commitment, whereas PvP can be done any time you feel like it (except for Arena, perhaps, but even that should be a lot more flexible than a raiding schedule).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
This may sound stupid so have mercy- Outland is the new TBC continent. You're saying there is usually no one there other than raiders? Are you implying that everyone that is still playing the game is high end raiding? :) I was playing a year ago for the second time with my wife, and we were running into people in the starter zones on a regular basis.

I think he's saying that when WotLK comes out, the population in Outlands will drop significantly.

Currently, I think the population is fairly balanced between raiding, 5 man heroics, daily quest / questing, rep / gold farming, BGs, and arena. The hardest thing to find might be groups for normal 5 man instances since most people only want to do heroic 5 mans after hitting 70. If you are in a guild it shouldn't be too hard to put together a normal 5 man but if you PuG, it may take you a little while to put together a normal 5 man.

The smallest raid instance is Kara and it's a 10 player instance. You always see groups LFM Kara so you can easily play / get in a group as a casual.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Outland is the TBC content area, but it's not new by any means. YMMV depending on your realm, but for me it seems there are fewer people doing the 5-man content now. Everyone who's 70 is going to be moving to Northrend when Wrath of the Lich King comes out next month, and Outland will just be the place you go to level from 60-70.

Thanks for your perspective. I'm starting to think that I'm experiencing a temporary bout of insanity. ;) I'll either blow off the whole notion of WoW revisited or I might just crank up Classic WoW and just see if anyone is still there. I don't necessarily want to move my L60 Paladin up for BC as I got bored with that style of game play before I quit. I'm much more likely be temped to start a Druid (which I played extensively in beta, although I realize that class has been extensively reworked over the years), or continue my Priest or Lock which are in the 30ish level. If there is no one there to run 5 player instances, there could be hope if there is a casual guild to be found.

I think he's saying that when WotLK comes out, the population in Outlands will drop significantly.

I agree with your premise. I admit although it's been a year since I've played, casual last time, if I start thinking about it (WoW) too much, I get the powerful urge to return, despite being mostly burned out on the routine questing routine. The 5 player instances were very enjoyable group experiences.:)

What is the current wisdom on professions? Are they worth pursuing these days? I was extremely disappointed in all the work required for Armorsmith as compared to the end result, although it was handy for my other toons that were leveling.

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
shadow priest is awesome. Being a priest in general is great if you're into the more social aspect of the game as everyone is always looking for someone with healing capabilities for instances.

Being a shadow priest should level you up fast, but you need potions to get you armoured up for battles, and a lots of mana drinks to reduce downtime. (having a Mage friend is awesome)

DamFu

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
I have a 70 Mage, Hunter, and Pally. Also have a 50 Warlock. My Pally is prot spec and was by far the easiest to grind with (with the right gear and enchants). Once I hit 70 though, i never really used him much.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
might just crank up Classic WoW and just see if anyone is still there. I don't necessarily want to move my L60 Paladin up for BC as I got bored with that style of game play before I quit. I'm much more likely be temped to start a Druid (which I played extensively in beta, although I realize that class has been extensively reworked over the years), or continue my Priest or Lock which are in the 30ish level. If there is no one there to run 5 player instances, there could be hope if there is a casual guild to be found.
You won't find much to do without TBC or WotLK, besides level alts. I had a blast leveling my druid and am actually switching to him as my main in Wrath. Balance and Feral (kitty) are getting big DPS boosts, Feral tanks are looking very strong, and Restoration is getting a larger variety of heals and an out-of-combat res so they'll be better in 5-mans.

What is the current wisdom on professions? Are they worth pursuing these days? I was extremely disappointed in all the work required for Armorsmith as compared to the end result, although it was handy for my other toons that were leveling.
I didn't play pre-TBC, except for a little of the open beta, so I can't say how the professions compare, but they're all getting a big boost in WotLK, even the gathering professions. Plus the new one, Inscriptions. They will mostly have at least some use in the endgame, and unique things you can only do if you have that profession (like the awesome engineering flying mounts or the finger enchants in TBC). I don't think anyone would tell you to not do any professions - it seems silly not to have at least some gathering ones for making money.

P.S. every single raid instance in WotLK is going to have a 10-man and 25-man version. They're really making the endgame content more accessible.

P.P.S. I think WoW is by far the most accessible as well as well-made MMO out there currently — that's why so many people play it — but if you found yourself uncontrollably addicted to it before I don't think that will have changed for you. If only SC2 and Diablo 3 were coming out sooner I'd recommend sticking to those instead. :) I'm anxious for them as well, but I really do enjoy raiding and that will be taking up the majority of my gaming time.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
so much BS in this thead.

All the instances are still going strong on BlackRock
Most people are just leveling alts waiting for WotLK, so You will find players of every class and level everywhere... I have a 70lock(i stopped raiding due to peoples attitudes driving me nuts, i now just arena with RL mates and muck around in BG's, do 5'mans etc), have a 60druid(has been very quick to level, should see 70 by wotlk) and am also working on a shaman.

My relationship with my Fiance is still going and i run a guild on BR :p, even if it is a small one...

Due to the fact people twink more and more every day, you will find instances being run for gear.

In Outland, people run heroic 5mans for badges for PVE gear
BG's are always easy to get into a pre-org, and is the most fun you can have with your pants on!

Cheers,

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Very little has changed in the original WoW. If you got bored / burned out in the original, you will probably be bored if you return to the original (I came back after tBC came out and I dislike gaming on the original continent). tBC is almost like a new game with all the content and things to do in it. Even if you decide to make a new character or level one of your 30's on the original continent, I would still get tBC so you can have some fun playing tBC on your Paladin. I usually don't recommend games but I would highly recommend tBC.

In tBC, I think one of the worst professions is still blacksmithing although armorsmith is much better than weaponsmith. Professions can now be trained up to 350 and, at 350, armorsmith has some good plate epic gear that can be crafted. Unfortunately, the mats for the epic gear can be tough (or expensive) to get. Many of the recipes are BOP (bind on pickup) so you can't sell the armor and blacksmith is not a good money making profession.

They added a new profession called jewelcrafting that allows you to make enchanted gems that you can add to many armor sets (similar to Diablo). I would also consider alchemy with all the great stuff you can make at 350.

As far as classes, most of the classes have changed dramatically since you last played. Prot paladins and holy paladins are a lot of fun to run now and are always in demand by adventuring groups.

Give tBC a try. You will not regret it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
* Anyone know a good link for Class Builds?
* I heard CTMOD was kaput. I have not verified that though. I liked it because I liked the tool bars and I liked CT-Raid Assist that was really helpful in parties if you are a healer. What are people using these days? I had a Blizzard type tell me the Titan Panel was the add-on GUI enhancement to use, but a quick check on my part did not reveal any tool bar enhancements. Opinions? Thanks.

shadow priest is awesome. Being a priest in general is great if you're into the more social aspect of the game as everyone is always looking for someone with healing capabilities for instances.

Being a shadow priest should level you up fast, but you need potions to get you armoured up for battles, and a lots of mana drinks to reduce downtime. (having a Mage friend is awesome)

I need to look around for some Priest builds. Thanks!

Spriests were nerfed for xpac tho.

xpac= TBC?

You won't find much to do without TBC or WotLK, besides level alts. I had a blast leveling my druid and am actually switching to him as my main in Wrath. Balance and Feral (kitty) are getting big DPS boosts, Feral tanks are looking very strong, and Restoration is getting a larger variety of heals and an out-of-combat res so they'll be better in 5-mans.

I didn't play pre-TBC, except for a little of the open beta, so I can't say how the professions compare, but they're all getting a big boost in WotLK, even the gathering professions. Plus the new one, Inscriptions. They will mostly have at least some use in the endgame, and unique things you can only do if you have that profession (like the awesome engineering flying mounts or the finger enchants in TBC). I don't think anyone would tell you to not do any professions - it seems silly not to have at least some gathering ones for making money.

P.S. every single raid instance in WotLK is going to have a 10-man and 25-man version. They're really making the endgame content more accessible.

P.P.S. I think WoW is by far the most accessible as well as well-made MMO out there currently — that's why so many people play it — but if you found yourself uncontrollably addicted to it before I don't think that will have changed for you. If only SC2 and Diablo 3 were coming out sooner I'd recommend sticking to those instead. :) I'm anxious for them as well, but I really do enjoy raiding and that will be taking up the majority of my gaming time.

Thanks! Diablo 3 could be an attraction for me. I was quite surprised when I finally got to looking up how many 5 player instances there are in TBC.

Very little has changed in the original WoW. If you got bored / burned out in the original, you will probably be bored if you return to the original (I came back after tBC came out and I dislike gaming on the original continent). tBC is almost like a new game with all the content and things to do in it. Even if you decide to make a new character or level one of your 30's on the original continent, I would still get tBC so you can have some fun playing tBC on your Paladin. I usually don't recommend games but I would highly recommend tBC.

In tBC, I think one of the worst professions is still blacksmithing although armorsmith is much better than weaponsmith. Professions can now be trained up to 350 and, at 350, armorsmith has some good plate epic gear that can be crafted. Unfortunately, the mats for the epic gear can be tough (or expensive) to get. Many of the recipes are BOP (bind on pickup) so you can't sell the armor and blacksmith is not a good money making profession.

They added a new profession called jewelcrafting that allows you to make enchanted gems that you can add to many armor sets (similar to Diablo). I would also consider alchemy with all the great stuff you can make at 350.

As far as classes, most of the classes have changed dramatically since you last played. Prot paladins and holy paladins are a lot of fun to run now and are always in demand by adventuring groups.

Give tBC a try. You will not regret it.

Thanks for the opinion. You can't sell your armor?? THAT"S BS! :) really...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Please Don't Kick Me

For grins, I just looked up armor sets for Priests and I was disappointed to be reminded that all of the Dungeon sets come from the top end dungeons like Schol and Straith or BRS. And all the Tier 1 sets come from places like Molten Core. And then I remembered why I did not like the high end dungeons, hell holes most of them, nor did I like the WoW end-game where repeating dungeons multiple times for armor became the primary goal and point of the game, and because that is not what attracted me to WoW in the first place. What attracted me was exploration and the "fun" 5 player instances mostly. ;)

Bottom line what if you don't give a damn about armor sets? Are you going to be screwed if you try to move forward with crappy armor? Something tells me "yes". :eek:

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I have one level 70 Pally with no Tier anything. I can say overall I enjoyed leveling. There were some down times especially not finding groups but a lot of the time it was due to my own time constraints (outside activities or honey-do lists). Once I hit 70 I was at a loss as to what to do next. Grinding , more quests for Gold, etc. So I quit for 3 months. Finally tried it again and found the BattleGrounds a good place to release some energy. That along with running around Sunwell and gaining rep has renewed my interest. I play on the average about 3 times a week for about 2 to 3 hours at a time. Definitly not a lot of time for any raiding and not a lot time for long instances, but enough to build my rep up and run the BG's. Running the BG's is at least one way to pick up some pretty good armor. By the way for those interested here is the link to the new talent tree for the Return of the Lich King;

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/talent-index/wrath.html

Bill....:apple:

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Bottom line what if you don't give a damn about armor sets? Are you going to be screwed if you try to move forward with crappy armor? Something tells me "yes". :eek:
Yes. You need better gear to advance to the harder dungeons, that's how the PvE endgame works. However, you can easily go to all of the normal difficulty 5-man instances with just the gear you get from leveling (quest rewards, random drops, bought from the AH, and from the 5-mans you've already done).

However in TBC they did introduce ways to get better gear without raiding, called Heroic Badges. You have to do the heroic version of the 5-mans to get them (all raid bosses now also drop several), but with them you can buy raiding quality epics. Of course, the ability to effectively do the heroics requires a certain quality of gear in the first place, but it's nothing like what's required for raiding.

Return of the Lich King
:p :p :D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
For grins, I just looked up armor sets for Priests and I was disappointed to be reminded that all of the Dungeon sets come from the top end dungeons like Schol and Straith or BRS. And all the Tier 1 sets come from places like Molten Core. And then I remembered why I did not like the high end dungeons, hell holes most of them, nor did I like the WoW end-game where repeating dungeons multiple times for armor became the primary goal and point of the game, and because that is not what attracted me to WoW in the first place. What attracted me was exploration and the "fun" 5 player instances mostly. ;)

Once you hit 60, pre-tBC gear really doesn't matter since even the green tBC gear is very good. In tBC, many people hit honored with the five major groups (easy with questing and instances) and buy their class blue armor set (5 pieces) ( http://thottbot.com/?set=740 ) at lvl 70. Various group quest are very fun and will also give you good equipment (i.e. ring of blood, etc. http://thottbot.com/q9977 ). People then do some battlegrounds for some epics and run some 5 man heroic instances for badges to buy epics.

You can check out my shaman at http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderlord&n=Plutonius . I'm currently wearing my PvP set and I only have 1 piece of armor from raiding (10 man kara) and none from arena. All my gear is from questing, 5 man heroics, or battlegrounds.

Note - My PvE healing set has about +1850 healing (before WotLK) and 150 mp5 and I just have the 1 piece from raiding Kara and no arena gear.

Don't worry about getting gear in tBC. You can still get good gear without raiding.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
* Anyone know a good link for Class Builds?
* I heard CTMOD was kaput. I have not verified that though. I liked it because I liked the tool bars and I liked CT-Raid Assist that was really helpful in parties if you are a healer. What are people using these days? I had a Blizzard type tell me the Titan Panel was the add-on GUI enhancement to use, but a quick check on my part did not reveal any tool bar enhancements. Opinions? Thanks.

The latest talent calculator (for the next patch supposedly coming out tomorrow is http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?= .

I generally get all my addons at http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/default.aspx . For a healer, I highly recommend decursive and healbot .

dpcalhoun

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Nashville, TN
It's a trap! Stay away. I've been detoxing from WoW for 4 months now, and it still hurts. Had only 3 toons, all 70 (H Priest, S Priest, and Resto Druid) but I still dream about them. Don't fall back into the pit! Stay away from the WoW website and all the wonderful things they're offering, and the shiny new expansion with promises of wonderful wonderful things!

But if you decide to be a wuss and relapse, go Shadow Priest on a PvP Server. Hell hath no fury like a Priest that melts faces.

i agree with this man. wow is way too addictive. you'll get sucked back in and it will eat away your social life. i played for 2 years before selling my account for $310 on ebay before BC came out. when i typed /played and got a response of over 62 days(for my main, not including alt characters' playing time), i knew it was time to quit. stay away! stay far away!

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
New York
I quit a looong time ago ( this spring lol ) it was so boring spent a month playing it addicted and quit it without any problems you should do the same.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I'm a recovering addict, and I won't play again. I'm still saddened by the amount of time I wasted on a game.

I have 5 level 70's, a couple very well geared. I haven't logged on in over 4 months. It's surprisingly easy to avoid playing now that I quit.

Anybody want to buy some toons? lol

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Once you hit 60, pre-tBC gear really doesn't matter since even the green tBC gear is very good. In tBC, many people hit honored with the five major groups (easy with questing and instances) and buy their class blue armor set (5 pieces) ( http://thottbot.com/?set=740 ) at lvl 70.

The latest talent calculator (for the next patch supposedly coming out tomorrow is http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?= .

I generally get all my addons at http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/default.aspx . For a healer, I highly recommend decursive and healbot .

Where do they buy their blue stuff at? Regarding the talent calculator does that mean talents will be wiped?

I do have Healbot and Titan Panel installed but I've not partied yet with it installed so I'm not sure it's configured properly. What I want mostly is an aggro meter.

As far a being warned, thanks all. I realize the danger as I was once addicted and have a highly addicted friend with a husband and teenage kids and that's basically all she does. Or I should say she does stuff around her raiding. It's sad and if not addicted it is compulsive at a minimum.

About a year ago I played dedicated partners with my wife, but she did not get into WoW so we stopped. However one thing I learned from the last time in was that I could play on a limited basis. Some of danger is mitigated by realizing the addictive nature of the game. I'm not into raiding and I'm no longer worried about being outleveled. Most of my interest is the small party action including 5 player instances. I don't ever want to be back doing 20+ hours a week and by staying casual, I think I can avoid that. If not, I'll quit, really. ;)

I loaded up a Resurrection Scroll, got the game patched up (which only took a couple of days). In fact there is a new 1.17 GB patch downloading right now. I assume that is for tomorrow.

My first evening, I took my L30 Priest and tried to figure out my elbow from my *** and spent some time down in Darkshire. I met up with a couple and we ran through a couple of quests, which was very enjoyable including Look To The Stars where we visited the Darkshire Ogre Mound and got a monocle for the quest givers telescope. It was simple and easy, but very enjoyable. Most enjoyable aspect is interacting with other players. This is much more satisfying than playing solo on Oblivion or Mass Effect. It really does make the World of War-craft seem more like a real place.

One other thing which might be bias on my part. The depth of WoW spell casting seems richer than the competition I've been exposed to, such as LOTRO and Vanguard, but keep in mind, I only messed with those in beta so I probably don't have a balanced view of those games.

One thing that surprised me was the amount of people running around in the classic areas of Azeroth. I'm on the Dalaran Server and it had lots and lots of players. I'll know more when I try to gather 5 player parties for instances.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Where do they buy their blue stuff at? Regarding the talent calculator does that mean talents will be wiped?

In tBC, most of the major factions have a quartermaster which sells rep based gear. The quartermasters are spread out throughout outlands.

Players are going to get a free respec of talents. i.e. They are giving you back all your talent points and you get to pick your talents again. This is because many of the talents are going to change and because they added new ones for you to chose from.

Get omen for a group aggro meter.

The patch should be for tomorrow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In tBC, most of the major factions have a quartermaster which sells rep based gear. The quartermasters are spread out throughout outlands.

Players are going to get a free respec of talents. i.e. They are giving you back all your talent points and you get to pick your talents again. This is because many of the talents are going to change and because they added new ones for you to chose from.

Get omen for a group aggro meter.

The patch should be for tomorrow.

Thanks Plutonius! Do you know of a good site which describes the talent changes in a meaningful way?

I've realized something about WoW and it's only taken me 4 years. If you want a MMO which focuses on exploration, you are not going to really get that in WoW. Yes you will visit new zones and possibly be wowed by the scenery however this game is all about the end game- raiding or instances of varying sizes. I think if you don't over do it, the 5 player instance is just about the best thing going in online gaming. They really are fun.

But if you look at the game when I originally quit (orig version), most of the end game focused on 40 player raids and I hated it, absolutely. And I was burned out from playing too much, 20+hrs per week. TBC, the first expansion has a large number of 5 player instances and I think WLK will have lots too. I think if you can get up to the cap and don't play every day, the instance experience can be a blast.

Regarding rich and rewarding exploration?- the WoW game world is just too shallow with loads of kill and collect quests which get repetitive fairly fast. And that's about all you can do. I don't think a MMO that primarily focuses on exploration and discovery exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.