Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I have friends and family that play regularly and that kept me in the game - even if I didn't play *with* them just talking about it was enough to make it appealing.
Indeed. Sometimes it seems it's more fun to talk about WoW than to play it. :p If the people I know moved on, I would too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was just saying Ret pallys weren't too desirable in PvE in TBC, though with just 5-mans there's not as much concern about what classes and specs you bring. It's certainly more relaxed. I know what you mean about how slow they are. Sometimes I'll get impatient just watching a paladin kill something, and toss a few shadowbolts at it to speed things up.

LOL! :D

Technical question- if you take a v1.0 WoW DVD, install the game and then insert your Burning Crusade DVD and try to install it, does it include all of the patches to get you up to BC or must you go through the laborious patch process of getting your classic WoW up to date before the BC installer will install? (Just for my future reference.)

I can confirm that if you have all of the patches downloaded (which took days to download ;)), for WoW, starting from v1 it's gonna take a couple of hours to get them all installed. :)

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
LOL! :D

Technical question- if you take a v1.0 WoW DVD, install the game and then insert your Burning Crusade DVD and try to install it, does it include all of the patches to get you up to BC or must you go through the laborious patch process of getting your classic WoW up to date before the BC installer will install? (Just for my future reference.)

I just went through this whole rigamarole - wanted to just try out WoW on the new computer. It patched all the way up to 3.0.2 or whatever, and that was without installing any of the BC content. I have no idea why....

Also, I'm just screwing around again on Eonar with a 10-day trial, if anybody would like to join up (level 7 atm)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just went through this whole rigamarole - wanted to just try out WoW on the new computer. It patched all the way up to 3.0.2 or whatever, and that was without installing any of the BC content. I have no idea why....

Also, I'm just screwing around again on Eonar with a 10-day trial, if anybody would like to join up (level 7 atm)

Just to confirm, your BC DVD would not install until the original WoW was patched up to date? Why doesn't Blizzard make a comprehensive patch that will patch any version up to the current version? Would that be so hard?

Any Warlocks on board who care to discuss how they handle group combat? Anything special you do when the mobs start beating on you? ;)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I It patched all the way up to 3.0.2 or whatever, and that was without installing any of the BC content. I have no idea why....
The latest patch is required to login to live severs regardless of what expansion you have. As far as I can tell you'll have to go from 2.0 > 2.4.x > 3.0.x with maybe a few smaller ones in between. Blizzard's lack of a "combo update" like Apple puts out for system updates has always irked me.

Any Warlocks on board who care to discuss how they handle group combat? Anything special you do when the mobs start beating on you? ;)
You mean like solo PvE, or grouped for a 5-man? For solo, it depends on your spec, but I'd use the voidwalker or Felguard to gather initial aggro and dot them up. Fear one if you need to, or burn Death Coil if you need to get one off you quick. If you're Affliction then dots + drain life is all it takes.

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
Just to confirm, your BC DVD would not install until the original WoW was patched up to date? Why doesn't Blizzard make a comprehensive patch that will patch any version up to the current version? Would that be so hard?

I probably downloaded at least 3 gigs of downloads, taking hours, and never touched the BC discs. It was nuts.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I probably downloaded at least 3 gigs of downloads, taking hours, and never touched the BC discs. It was nuts.

I'm not even sure you have to load the tBC disk (I believe that 3.02 might include everything). You do however need a tBC serial number entered into your account administration to add the tBC content.

I would first add the tBC serial number to your account and see what happens before going through the tBC installation / huge patch download treadmill.

Note - One great thing about Macs is that you only need to drag a current WoW folder from a similar Mac to another Mac to load the game (Be sure the tBC serial number is in your account before copying it). Enter your name / password when you start the game and you are good to go.

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Note - One great thing about Macs is that you only need to drag a current WoW folder from a similar Mac to another Mac to load the game (Be sure the tBC serial number is in your account before copying it). Enter your name / password when you start the game and you are good to go.

This is very true. The install process of WoW is painfully long. Keeping a recent install around is sage advice and it works flawlessly. I have always kept one on an external drive for the many times I have quit and came back :D

-mx

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I have a warlock alt in Kara-level gear.

How you handle a group depends on your spec. And I assume you mean PvE.

If you're leveling, a felguard is ez mode. Just send him on one mob, dot up another mob and fear it and dot (different dots) another mob and drain tank using drain life.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a warlock alt in Kara-level gear.

How you handle a group depends on your spec. And I assume you mean PvE.

If you're leveling, a felguard is ez mode. Just send him on one mob, dot up another mob and fear it and dot (different dots) another mob and drain tank using drain life.

Thanks for the info! That sounds good. I don't have a felhunter yet... I assume felhunters should be used for casting targets and voidwalkers used on melee targets?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I don't have a felhunter yet... I assume felhunters should be used for casting targets and voidwalkers used on melee targets?
I think you're mixing your 'guards and your 'hunters. I don't remember what level you get the Felhunter at, but it's only really useful in PvP and in very specific PvE situations. Yeah, it's good against casters, but it's easier just to use the Voidwalker. At level 50 if you're so inclined you can invest in the 41-point Demonology talent Summon Felguard. After you get the Felguard, solo play is easymode. Demonology is a really fun spec — great for leveling — but I think that even with changes in Wrath, it will still be the weakest DPS.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn,
How is WoW going and did you decide to get tBC ?

I'm back and having a great time! Thanks for asking. :D I did upgrade to tBC and signed up for a 6 month subscription. I'm on the Dalaran server and am making choices about what toons to push up. I had written off my L60 Pally (Arclight) until I sent her out to gather some stuff for a robe. Decided she might be worth pushing up. :) I've got a variety of other toons at various sub-60 levels. Likely candidates are L40 Warlock (Neasharp), a L34 Priest (Eureka), a L55 Hunter (Jaquar), and or a L16 Druid (Ashely). I want to focus on 3 of them. I'm not into raiding and I'm in no rush, hence I'm focusing on 3 toons. I like the different game-play styles and I think it helps keep some variety and avoids boredom.

The problem with this game is that the people I meet and develop relationships with tend to out level me. It was a problem before but I don't mind, it's just a fact of WoW life...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think you're mixing your 'guards and your 'hunters. I don't remember what level you get the Felhunter at, but it's only really useful in PvP and in very specific PvE situations. Yeah, it's good against casters, but it's easier just to use the Voidwalker. At level 50 if you're so inclined you can invest in the 41-point Demonology talent Summon Felguard. After you get the Felguard, solo play is easymode. Demonology is a really fun spec — great for leveling — but I think that even with changes in Wrath, it will still be the weakest DPS.

Your right I mixed up 'hunter, with 'guard. :) I need to read up on Warlock builds. I love my Hunter but I found keeping the pet happy and supplied with food to be a chore at times. That is why the magic oriented Lock seems a very good alternative. :)

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Hunters seem to lvl the quickest in my experience. Warlocks are close behind if played well. However, what do you want to do once you reach 70 (or 80)? That is another consideration for class choice.

-mx

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hunters seem to lvl the quickest in my experience. Warlocks are close behind if played well. However, what do you want to do once you reach 70 (or 80)? That is another consideration for class choice.

-mx

5 Party Instances mostly, maybe some 10 Player Raids.

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
5 Party Instances mostly, maybe some 10 Player Raids.

Well, both a lock or a hunter would work well in those group situations if you choose your talents appropriately. However, they serve similar roles (DPS) and have similar DPS potential so you may want to choose something like a healer or (gulp) tank to balance out your little collection of three chars.

-mx

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, both a lock or a hunter would work well in those group situations if you choose your talents appropriately. However, they serve similar roles (DPS) and have similar DPS potential so you may want to choose something like a healer or (gulp) tank to balance out your little collection of three chars.

-mx

Yeah, it won't be both the lock and the hunter, one or the other. I'd say Priest is a certainty. Then it is Pally or Druid, or maybe both! :cool:

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
As the talents sit right now, the pally tank is looking more desirable for a group. Bear form is a powerful tank but, there are some buffs from the pally that outweigh it.

-mx

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
I don't plan on doing raids. My focus will be 5 party action and instances. After some hard consideration, I'm going to ignore my Pally. Please don't take offense. (To each his own.) I remember how boring Pally combat was. Bash, bash, bash, heal, bash, bash, bash. ;) After some soul searching I've decided I'll have more fun pushing up my Shadow Priest, Lock, and possibly a low level Druid (L13). I got myself into a complete funk last time playing my Pally. The bad thing is how long it's going to take me just to get someone over to Outlands. I think these other classes offer more variety of game play, but maybe I'm just not bored with them yet. :)

pallys are ****.
my lock is boring, Shadow Priest is awesome fun.
as are shamans
and druids.
i reccomend hybrids for mixing things up without relevelling

lock is slowest to level

in arena i am SL/SL on my lock, i use felhunter on caster but they also harrass melee targets quite well!

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Honestly, I have grown so weary of all the nerd rage and pointless hostility and flat-out terrible players that I've lost any desire to continue. I really want out of the endless loop of faction rep and inventory maintenance, too. It's become like a job I have to pay for.

It's a good game, but enough is enough.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As the talents sit right now, the pally tank is looking more desirable for a group. Bear form is a powerful tank but, there are some buffs from the pally that outweigh it.

-mx

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just had a L70 Druid buddy power me through Strath. He was aggroing groups of 15 mobs in bear form and wiping the floor with them. It was pretty impressive.

However, honestly I have never liked power leveling. There is an experience to be had in ever instance and powering through short changes it. I did that once in West Fall with a character where they ran me through that zone in about an hour. That is why I usually resist having a L70 drop in on a leveling instance because you quickly get the reward, but where is the challenge and the fun?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.