Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I assume there's going to be a developer beta release tomorrow followed by a public beta days (or weeks later) as with iOS 9.

However, I'm wondering if iOS 10 will come via the current beta profile already installed (for those of use using the current beta of iOS 9.3.3) or will it require a new profile. Or it may come just through the developer portal.

Since we didn't have the developer profile (and thus OTA updates) when iOS 9 beta was first released, I'm curious what everybody thinks about how iOS 10 beta will come.

Is there anything that limits the current beta profile to just iOS 9 that anybody knows of?

Share your thoughts.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm inclined to think it'll be via dev portal for beta 1 and OTA on from that. My hope is that it's a big enough update to warrant no OTA for beta 1.

Reactions: amg949 and VSMacOne

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm inclined to think it'll be via dev portal for beta 1 and OTA on from that. My hope is that it's a big enough update to warrant no OTA for beta 1.
This makes sense. I'm hoping it will be OTA since they've moved to the beta profile.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Since developers are using a different profile then public beta testers, I wouldn't be surprised if developers got it OTA.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Since developers are using a different profile then public beta testers, I wouldn't be surprised if developers got it OTA.
That's what I'm hoping for. It seems like the beta profile that has enabled OTA has been really solid. So I think it would be a step back to go to requiring an IPSW to install.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm sure they'll send out a new profile.

Anyway, I always do a fresh restore with any significant update. That's probably being over cautious, but I feel like everything works better when I do that.

dereknas

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2014
If we're on 9.3.3 beta 2, will we be able to OTA update to 10 beta 1? Or we need to be on 9.3.2 first?

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
In the past have the beta's normally been available for download the same day after WWDC broadcast event? Just wondering if i should take a spare iPad and Macbook home with me to play with it later.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I'm sure they'll send out a new profile.

Anyway, I always do a fresh restore with any significant update. That's probably being over cautious, but I feel like everything works better when I do that.

I used to do that, but lately I've installed the new OS over the current one, and then did a Reset All Settings to get all the defaults of the new OS. Then, at the public launch in the Fall I may do a clean install, depending on how my phone feels after an entire summer of beta.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Well this is odd... Looks like the Public Beta website has gone down ahead of WWDC. This might mean iOS 10 beta 1 will come to public beta testers as well as developers.

Reactions: DJLAXL

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Well this is odd... Looks like the Public Beta website has gone down ahead of WWDC. This might mean iOS 10 beta 1 will come to public beta testers as well as developers.

You beat me to it. Lol. Curiouser and curiouser......

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure we'll need an iOS 10 IPSW so that people will still have the option to run the 9.3.3 beta, since there was no release of that today.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure we'll need an iOS 10 IPSW so that people will still have the option to run the 9.3.3 beta, since there was no release of that today.

So far..

It's up!

IPSWs and OTA profile available, new one required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.