Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffettfan33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Arlington, VA
Ok, after I did the iTunes update to 7.4, I stupidly decided to do a restore on my iPhone to start off with a clean slate, as I had previously used iFuntastic, but now wanted to switch over to using only installer.app via the AppTapp installer (and also because I kinda wanted to test the waters with 7.4 :) ). Now, neither seem to be working...

When I try to use AppTapp it barely lets me get past clicking continue when it pops up and tells me that "Boot strap failed. Check consolelog for detail" (or something close to that). My iPhone then just hangs at the "Please connect to iTunes screen" (the yellow triangle of death if you will...), and the only way I can do ANYTHING is to restore it via iTunes. Tried this 3 different times and came up with the same thing. I also searched around for other people having boot strap errors and didn't really come up with much (thus my post here).

I then resorted to trying iFuntastic (after I restored again), and at certain points it said it was unshackling, and after about 2 reboots it says it is unshackled, it just times out when I try to do anything and I get a communication error. Tried rebooting (computer and iPhone), unplugging, etc., all with no luck.

I e-mailed the people at nullriver about this issue, and may do the same with iFuntastic (though I really just want to use installer.app, since iFuntastic tries to do too much and makes it tough to revert without restoring).

Anyone else have this happen? (though I doubt anyone will want to try to replicate this now :D ) I'm up for ideas and/or suggestions. I'll be in class until later this evening so I may not be able to try anything right away, but will definitely be willing to fool around with it later tonight.

First the iPhone price drop and now the update to 7.4... looks like I learned two lessons in one day on why not to be an early adopter ;)

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
can anyone confirm this? If so then screw updating, why do I need to buy ringtones when I can have as many as i want for free now!?

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
the people at fiveforty forum are reporting bricking (actual nonrecoverable bricking) of iphones after restoring in 7.4 and attempting to jailbreak. I'm not sure what the deal is yet though.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Ya, I haven't been able to get it to work ... however, after hearing reports of bricking, I am going to back away from this. This was going to be my first attempt to mod the phone, however I will wait for confirmed reports of it working again.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I get the feeling they're trying to prevent hacking. This really sucks, as I really wanted to install the NES emulator. Oh well, I'm not taking the risk.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Through iTunes & software updates, Apple is going to actively try to stop hackers from messing with their product. Expect this. But, also expect that the hackers will continue to find out ways to get access to the iPhone.

So, if you've used jailbreak on your phone, be cautious of iPhone updates and iTunes changes. You never know what Apple will be putting in there to stop you from using hacked software on their phone.

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
I can confirm that version 3 works with an iTunes 7.4 restored iPhone.

Just to be absolutely clear, you took your modded iPhone (which I assume was just using installer.app), restored that in the the new version of iTunes, and then reinstalled installer.app?
(as opposed to restoring in 7.3.x and then restoring again in 7.4, for example)

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Just to be absolutely clear, you took your modded iPhone (which I assume was just using installer.app), restored that in the the new version of iTunes, and then reinstalled installer.app?
(as opposed to restoring in 7.3.x and then restoring again in 7.4, for example)

Yes. I updatd iTunes to version 7.4, plugged my modded iPhone into my MacBook Pro, restored my modded iPhone to original factory settings by means of pressing the "restore" button in iTunes.

Then I downloaded the AppTapp installer from http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/ where you can clearly see the new version 3.0 is said to be for iTunes 7.4, ran the installer and it worked 100% perfectly fine without a hitch whatsoever.

I am now installing BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH on my iPhone using Installer.app.

I cannot possibly be anymore crystal clear in how crystal clear I am being: It works.

buffettfan33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Arlington, VA
Sweet!!! Thanks for being the guinea pig General!

Edit: Double Sweet!!! Hundred bucks back AND MobileChat, Summerboard, NES etc. Amazing how much can change in 8 hours... :rolleyes:

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
very good; I suspect that the bricked iphones are coming from people trying to activate outside of ATT (the tools they mentioned were for activation and jailbreaking I think). Appears to be a nonissue for our more mundane hacking needs.

brickediphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
confirmed

Yeah, i bricked my iphone this morning with the latest version of AppTap & the latest iTunes 7.4 (26) and iPhone 1.0.2 (1C28). But as for the above comment, i am an ATT customer & my phone was activated as such. I was able to restore my iPhone to factory defaults, but stay away for now....

flooie

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Hey, I have the exact same problem. I actually just got my phone the day after the price drop and tried to install nullrivers apptapp but I get to the same caution sign with the '!'.

Headblade

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
I have spent all day on this as i was sick of iFuntastic, and wanted to mod my phone without all their extra pages and stuff. Reset my phone several times, had issues with visual VM, etc... Finally found this thread, and now.... Woohoo!
Installing BSD subsystem now. Thanks for the heads up on the new version of installer...

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
I can confirm that Apptapp(installer.app) works perfectly fine with 7.4.1. At least on a Mac. It's important to just remember the basic steps:

Dock your iphone, go in itunes and uncheck sync automatically, quit itunes, then run the install application. Let it do its thing then once it's done just fire back up itunes and re-check sync automatically.

Then just load the BSD subsystem, launcher, and summerboard on your iphone from the installer application and go to town :)

kaitak98

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
Ok, after I did the iTunes update to 7.4, I stupidly decided to do a restore on my iPhone to start off with a clean slate, as I had previously used iFuntastic, but now wanted to switch over to using only installer.app via the AppTapp installer (and also because I kinda wanted to test the waters with 7.4 :) ). Now, neither seem to be working...

When I try to use AppTapp it barely lets me get past clicking continue when it pops up and tells me that "Boot strap failed. Check consolelog for detail" (or something close to that). My iPhone then just hangs at the "Please connect to iTunes screen" (the yellow triangle of death if you will...), and the only way I can do ANYTHING is to restore it via iTunes. Tried this 3 different times and came up with the same thing. I also searched around for other people having boot strap errors and didn't really come up with much (thus my post here).

I then resorted to trying iFuntastic (after I restored again), and at certain points it said it was unshackling, and after about 2 reboots it says it is unshackled, it just times out when I try to do anything and I get a communication error. Tried rebooting (computer and iPhone), unplugging, etc., all with no luck.

I e-mailed the people at nullriver about this issue, and may do the same with iFuntastic (though I really just want to use installer.app, since iFuntastic tries to do too much and makes it tough to revert without restoring).

Anyone else have this happen? (though I doubt anyone will want to try to replicate this now :D ) I'm up for ideas and/or suggestions. I'll be in class until later this evening so I may not be able to try anything right away, but will definitely be willing to fool around with it later tonight.

First the iPhone price drop and now the update to 7.4... looks like I learned two lessons in one day on why not to be an early adopter ;)

I had the same problems....

To get iFuntastic to work I had to download an old version of MobileDevice.Framwork and replace the newer file via the terminal.

See this thread for a link to the file and the terminal commands:

http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896

The second screen in iFuntastic now stays there long enough to read and you see a buch of verbose code on the screen of the phone. This worked on my Macbook even thought the thread has PPC in the title.

I then tried to install AppTapp and had the same bootstrap error. Had to recover via iTunes. Tried going with AppTapp before iFuntastic with the same result. At least this time my backup worked which hasn't always been the case.

So, I'm living with iFuntastic and manually installing apps for now. It worked like a charm with iTunes 7.4.2 once the old framework was place and I haven't had any ill effects from reverting.

I think we need a new term for a non-working device that is recoverable so people don't get too freaked out. Maybe "Soft Bricked"?

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Apparently some people are having luck in getting iFuntastic working with iTunes 7.4.XX, but I have not tried it yet.

someguy said:
Guys:

I am having no issues with using iFuntastic 3.0.3 with iTunes 7.4. This is what I did, you may want to try:

I had used iFuntastic 2.5 to make some mods prior to the new releases (iTunes 7.4 & iFuntastic 3.0.3). I did the following to get things working:

1. Sync with iTunes to make sure everything is up to date
2. Launch iFuntastic 3.0.3 while phone is connected and accessible in iTunes
3. On the iFuntastic Troubleshooting page, initiate a Restore. Note, I think initiating the Restore from within iFuntastic is the key.
4. Wait while iTunes performs a Restore of your iPhone. It is OK to restore from your most recent sync when iTunes asks. You will notice that iFuntastic says it is waiting for iTunes to complete the restore while this is going on.
5. When the restore is complete, sync your phone again to get back your contacts, etc.
6. Close iTunes (again while the phone is still connected to iTunes) and start all over with the Unshackling in iFuntastic.

This process worked fine for me and I was able to make all my changes and mods etc. Be careful with changing any of the system stuff because the "Restore Original" feature in iFuntastic does not always (usually?) work - especially in the File Manager area when replacing system sounds.

300ZX

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2005
I can confirm that AppTapp does NOT work with iTunes 7.4.1

I tried it twice and had to restore my phone both times.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I can confirm that AppTapp does NOT work with iTunes 7.4.1

I tried it twice and had to restore my phone both times.

:confused: It works just fine.

Click for full sized:
picture1sb1.png

Where are you getting the AppTapp installer? This is the only place you should get it from:
http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/

Also, you're choosing firmware version 1.0.2, no? There's no reason why yours shouldn't work.

moviespoof

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Free Me

I just did the same thing.

Got and experienced everything you did...

go here follow all the instructions:

http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/endless_reboot

after that you will be back to where you were....:rolleyes:

make sure you re:new your password in the terminal from what it is to what you want it to be after you finish...

NES works ok but you can't save the games so you better be really good at super mario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.