Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradkane

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
i have a brand spanking new iphone and the latest version of itunes. i followed all the instructions, multiple times over, and every time i get the situation where bootstrap fails and i have to restore.

so, the process clearly works perfectly for some people, and fails for others. why would this be the case?

i *can* jailbreak and un-jailbreak using independence. but the new apptapp (3.1) just flat out doesn't work.

ideas?

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Ever since I upgraded to itunes 7.4 and firmware 1.0.2 I have NEVER gotten apptapp to install and it always gives a "bootstrap failed see console log" and puts the iphone into recovery mode and have to restore all over again in itunes but I can unshackle with ifuntastic but all of my 3rd party apps won't be installed. Has anyone figured out this "chicken and the egg" paradox? I want to get the installer app without using the GUI installer to circumvent any more "bootstrap failures" jacking up my iphone. Is there any way to extract the package through ifuntastic or is this method only good through the terminal command line? I just spent an hour restoring, unshackling and resyncing my iphone and don't want to chance going into recovery mode and having to restore all over again.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Ever since I upgraded to itunes 7.4 and firmware 1.0.2 I have NEVER gotten apptapp to install and it always gives a "bootstrap failed see console log" and puts the iphone into recovery mode and have to restore all over again in itunes but I can unshackle with ifuntastic but all of my 3rd party apps won't be installed. Has anyone figured out this "chicken and the egg" paradox? I want to get the installer app without using the GUI installer to circumvent any more "bootstrap failures" jacking up my iphone. Is there any way to extract the package through ifuntastic or is this method only good through the terminal command line? I just spent an hour restoring, unshackling and resyncing my iphone and don't want to chance going into recovery mode and having to restore all over again.

Are you installing AppTapp before trying to unshackle in iFuntastic? My advice would be to:

Restore via iTunes
Install AppTapp v3 for iTunes 7.4
Forget iFuntastic exists.

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Nope doesn't work. Got a new phone yesterday because my battery overheated and the first thing I did was try to install Apptapp 3 and got the bootstrap failure before I even tried to unshackle with ifuntastic. Tried this 3 times and gave up after spending 2 hours restoring and resynching so now I just have ifuntastic so I can add my custom system sounds. As for wallpapers I will NEVER again use this feature in ifuntastic as it will seriously jack up your system icons.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Nope doesn't work. Got a new phone yesterday because my battery overheated and the first thing I did was try to install Apptapp 3 and got the bootstrap failure before I even tried to unshackle with ifuntastic. Tried this 3 times and gave up after spending 2 hours restoring and resynching so now I just have ifuntastic so I can add my custom system sounds. As for wallpapers I will NEVER again use this feature in ifuntastic as it will seriously jack up your system icons.

Again:

AppTapp v3, iTunes 7.4.1
Use Summerboard for wallpaper.
Use SFTP to change system sounds.
Forget that iFuntastic exists.

I don't get how you guys can't get the AppTapp installer to work ... are you choosing the wrong firmware?

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Yes I select the correct firmware 1.0.2. I downloaded the installer from nullriver. Is there anyway to extract the package from the .dmg and install through the terminal?

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
First of all, will iphuc work on a PowerPC mac? Secondly, the .dmg automounts the installer so there is no app to drag over. I would have to extract via the terminal and move the hidden package to the phone (which is unshackled). If there was some way to actually "grab" the package from the .dmg I would have just dropped it into the applications directory through ifuntastic and then I would have had to execute the installer from inside the phone, bypassing the GUI auto-installer.

ajaxon

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Again:

AppTapp v3, iTunes 7.4.1

I don't get how you guys can't get the AppTapp installer to work ... are you choosing the wrong firmware?

Consider yourself lucky. Or us guys unlucky. Seems that new phones are the ones that have trouble. I just got mine on Sep. 15. Like many others that have posted here, the "boostrap failed" message is a constant refrain. I've followed the directions of those that have been succesful to a T. No dice.

Looking at the numbers of those for whom the AppTapp installer doesn't/wont install, I'd say it's more alpha than beta at this time.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Again:

AppTapp v3, iTunes 7.4.1

Why should we forget iFuntastic exists? How else am I going to rearrange my icons to what I think is more efficient? If there's another way, I'll try it. :) I also like changing my Carrier Icon as well as installing my own custom ringtones.

With that all said, I have installed AppTapp with no issues. The issue I am experiencing today however is a "Error during install script execution" when trying to update Summerboard to 2.11. Actually, it seems I can no longer install anything. I shackled and unshackled my iPhone and tried again, same thing. Anyone know what's going on? I have iTunes 7.3.2, AppTapp 2.4 and 1.0.2 iPhone firmware. Thanks!

mdweezer

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2007
Just activated a clearance 4gb iPhone, ran the latest AppTapp with no problems. Installer showed up and installed applications fine.

Running the latest iTunes (7.4.2?). Things seem fine.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Why should we forget iFuntastic exists? How else am I going to rearrange my icons to what I think is more efficient? If there's another way, I'll try it. :) I also like changing my Carrier Icon as well as installing my own custom ringtones.

With that all said, I have installed AppTapp with no issues. The issue I am experiencing today however is a "Error during install script execution" when trying to update Summerboard to 2.11. Actually, it seems I can no longer install anything. I shackled and unshackled my iPhone and tried again, same thing. Anyone know what's going on? I have iTunes 7.3.2, AppTapp 2.4 and 1.0.2 iPhone firmware. Thanks!

use rSBT to rearrange icons. its very easy.

ajaxon

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Consider yourself lucky. Or us guys unlucky. Seems that new phones are the ones that have trouble. I just got mine on Sep. 15. Like many others that have posted here, the "boostrap failed" message is a constant refrain. I've followed the directions of those that have been succesful to a T. No dice.

Looking at the numbers of those for whom the AppTapp installer doesn't/wont install, I'd say it's more alpha than beta at this time.

Okay, retract the quoted post. Looks like the 4th times a charm. Count me among the lucky. AppTapp installed without a hiccup this time around. Clicked installer, then community sources, and voila! Lot's of new apps available to me. Summerboard is very cool. MobileChat seems a lot faster than web based clients too.

To those that have experienced the bootstrap error, don't give up. Installer app is just finicky I guess.

phatphil

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Can someone post a link to a direct download of Installer.app (not AppTapp)? I have a brand new iPhone (3 days old) and every time I try to install AppTapp it fails with a Bootstrap error. I'm running the latest version of... everything and the iPod Firmware is 1.0.2.

I've tried running AppTapp to install the Installer.app on my iPhone over 5 times and it always fails. I've tried on a 100% fresh restore to make it a "virgin" iPhone and I've also tried after it's been Jailbroken (from iNdependence) and when it's been returned to Jail.

I can successfully connect to the iPhone in my FTP client and transfer files that way, but I need a direct download or another way to install Installer.app without AppTapp.

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Can someone post a link to a direct download of Installer.app (not AppTapp)? I have a brand new iPhone (3 days old) and every time I try to install AppTapp it fails with a Bootstrap error. I'm running the latest version of... everything and the iPod Firmware is 1.0.2.

I've tried running AppTapp to install the Installer.app on my iPhone over 5 times and it always fails. I've tried on a 100% fresh restore to make it a "virgin" iPhone and I've also tried after it's been Jailbroken (from iNdependence) and when it's been returned to Jail.

I can successfully connect to the iPhone in my FTP client and transfer files that way, but I need a direct download or another way to install Installer.app without AppTapp.

Same here. That's the problem I'm having. No luck with the AppTapp installer. I have a PPC G4 running 10.4.10 so I'm wondering if this issue might be affecting pre-Intel users. We're sort of caught in a chicken-and-the-egg situation where we need to manually install the installer and execute it from inside the iphone, not via the GUI installer.

mpheery3

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Some detailed info when it works :)

Okay, retract the quoted post. Looks like the 4th times a charm. Count me among the lucky. AppTapp installed without a hiccup this time around. Clicked installer, then community sources, and voila! Lot's of new apps available to me. Summerboard is very cool. MobileChat seems a lot faster than web based clients too.

To those that have experienced the bootstrap error, don't give up. Installer app is just finicky I guess.

Guys - I tried several times - lost track of how many :).

However, last time I had Console Log up & cleared it to see just the AppTapp msgs - learned a little there - it seems that the 1t time it tells you to connect to iTunes it is booting in recovery mode - if you start iTunes like I thought I should right away iTunes sees that it is in recovery mode (this is the way AppTapp reboots the iPhone - the 1st time !!) - but if you DON'T start iTunes & let AppTapp do its magic then the iPhone reboots & AppTapp takes off moving the rest of the files there & reboots in regular mode next time - voila - Installer shows up on iPhone.

PAINFUL learning process but - hey - you get desparate some times - I FINALLY decided to look at the Console Log as AppTapp tells you to when it aborts !!! The clue was that the log shows AppTapp waiting for the reboot in recovery mode - letting it do its thing after the reboot works - the clue was also that the spinning wheel was still going on the device too :) while it was rebooting in recovery mode.

On to get all those GREAT apps you guys are writing back up & running on my FANTASTIC iPhone !!!!

Keep giving us those apps - we LOVE them.

Thanks for all the GREAT work you guys are doing.

phatphil

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Same here. That's the problem I'm having. No luck with the AppTapp installer. I have a PPC G4 running 10.4.10 so I'm wondering if this issue might be affecting pre-Intel users. We're sort of caught in a chicken-and-the-egg situation where we need to manually install the installer and execute it from inside the iphone, not via the GUI installer.

I just removed and reinstalled iTunes, then AppTapp installed without a hitch.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
How to Delete Installer

I have installed used some apps and now want to delete it. Does anyone know how to do that ?

Thanks

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I went through this last night. If you have this option it works perfectly.....

On my MAC (17"g4) running updated everything I had the same result as you, however on my desktop PC it worked flawlessly. I found this out when I had to use software that was PC only to unlock the phone again (activate).

I came back down to start the hack again and add things on my MAC and it locked again. Went back up to the desktop PC after a full restore and it worked flawlessly.

Moral of the story.... things are not meshing with the MAC for modding the Iphone, but they are all working great when using a PC. (I am running XP)

I am fully updated to the very latest of everything on the phone and Itunes and it worked flawlessly, but failed with bootstrap error on every attempt doing it from my MAC.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Hey friends.. hoping I cant get some help here. I'm on a PPC Mac as well.

I'd been getting the Bootstrap error, even though the Installer icon is on the iPhone. I've just tried getting by this error by attempting an install via my PC. Everything went well, by the looks of it. It claimed the installation was complete. However, when I open the Installer application on the iPhone there is nothing there (no apps). Just the window with the 4 tabs, etc. It doesn't even allow me to open any tabs, this is the same result I was having before I attempted the PC installation that claimed successful.

Am I missing something?

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Make CERTAIN the files are unzipped into the directory specified. As the program runs you can see it scroll out the files and where they are supposed to be. If they are not unzipped into that folder it will fail.

A common mistake with winrar is that people will not unzip the entire folder, only the exe file they need.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
one1..

Thanks for your help. I think I understand what your saying, however I'm using the AppTapp installer on both the Mac and PC. I'm under the impression that there's nothing the user(me) can do but let it run. I do see it scrolling the procedure on the PC, but how would I be sure the files are unzipped where they are supposed to be. Isn't this thing on autopilot?

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.