Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
After much consideration, I have decided to install Monterey on my old Mac pro 5.1. I will take the risk and do it. Everything is set and today I will have a USB that is ready with OpenCore Legacy patcher and Monterey ready to go. My only issue that I need to resolve is how in the world do I see the boot screen?

Here are my options:
1) Install my other GT120 alongside my RX 580 and install Monterey. The GT120 will let me see the boot screen and the RX580 will fulfill the requirement of a Metal card

2) Remove the 580, install GT120 and boot the mac to only see the screen. Memorize the boot options so that I can select my USB drive. Remove the 120 and install the RX580. Press the directional buttons to select the boot option.

So of these two options, which one is the best way for me to go? Or is there a third option that I can do?

I do have a concern for option 2 that when the OS reboots during installing of the OS, I will need to select the boot device or will the Mac auto select for me? Now the memorizing technique only works if the order of the boot devices does not change

Please let me know your thoughts

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Do you see your USB in System Preferences >Startup Disk? In that case you can choose it there and keep yourRX580.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Well, I should have thought about that before I did everything.

I decided to replace the RX580 and the GT120. I was able to get it to boot on the boot screen and start installing.

However, now, I have the apple logo and a progress bar that is at 1/2 way there. I have been away from the mac and just checked. Not sure if this is normal but we will see if it is stuck.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
I started the process about 1.5 hrs ago. Does it usually take this long?

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
What can I do if the progress bar is stuck at half way? There is no time to complete. Should I power off the machine and place in my RX580?

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Great news everyone, I was able to fix the issue. All I had to do was to restart the machine and everything worked working.

Thank you everyone for taking their time to help me with the process and to assist in picking out a wireless card.

If I could, I would buy everyone drinks!

Reactions: paalb

NoahJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
How is the performance with Monterey on your 5.1 Pro? I just upgraded to Big Sur Using OCLP and the performance is very good. That gave me the confidence to possibly continue to Monterey.

My Specs:
Mac Pro Mid 2012
3.2 Ghz quad core Xeon
16GB RAM
Radeon RX580 8GB

N4LYD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2021
How is the performance with Monterey on your 5.1 Pro? I just upgraded to Big Sur Using OCLP and the performance is very good. That gave me the confidence to possibly continue to Monterey.

My Specs:
Mac Pro Mid 2012
3.2 Ghz quad core Xeon
16GB RAM
Radeon RX580 8GB
Monterey is working great on my 5,1 pro. Very stable, and even the standard 15.1 -> 15.2 update completed without any issue. I did use the OCLP post-install after the update, but am not even sure what that added.

Reactions: AlexMaximus

NoahJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
I am not sure about the Post-Install as when I did that under Big Sur it completely messed up my Install causing video issues and my Finder Bar went away and my user account logged out randomly. I had to reinstall over the top to get back to working.

I am more asking about performance for like everyday tasks and video specifically. It sounds like you don't have any reservations.

N4LYD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2021
I am not sure about the Post-Install as when I did that under Big Sur it completely messed up my Install causing video issues and my Finder Bar went away and my user account logged out randomly. I had to reinstall over the top to get back to working.

I am more asking about performance for like everyday tasks and video specifically. It sounds like you don't have any reservations.
Indeed, it's working fine for everyday tasks - I have 9 virtual desktops with many Firefox windows (each with many tabs) open, no lags. Netflix and Amazon video works fine, as do VCVrack, Logic Pro, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Virtualbox and pretty much everything else I've thrown at it. It's significantly more featureful than Catalina on the same machine was back in the dosdude days. As with everything, ymmv, but so far so good here.

Reactions: NoahJ

NoahJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Just did the upgrade, super easy, didn't even require anything out of the ordinary, just ran the file to upgrade from the HDD and it completed. In place upgrade. So far it is working very well...

N4LYD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2021
Spoke too Soon, WiFi is not working now. Troubleshooting.
As I recall, something related to WiFi is exactly what the Post Install patch downloaded and installed. WiFi is working for me.

NoahJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Yes, I ran the post install Patcher, it ran a WiFi piece, I rebooted, still broken. Grumble...

eikic1

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2014
indonesia
My cMP2012 SUper Normal and working fine with OCLP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 09.34.53.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 09.34.53.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 1,299
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 09.38.13.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 09.38.13.png
    306.4 KB · Views: 1,412
Reactions: NoahJ

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
What to do if Post-Install button is always greyed out !?

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 8.38.34 AM.png

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
I'm currently on Mojave on my early MacPro 2009 with the specs in my signature. Before I go down this road toward installing Monterey with OpenCore, does anyone notice any red flags with my current hardware? On Mojave everything is mostly working (having a constant crashing problem with suggestd): bluetooth, wifi, boot screen etc. all work.

N4LYD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2021
I'm currently on Mojave on my early MacPro 2009 with the specs in my signature. Before I go down this road toward installing Monterey with OpenCore, does anyone notice any red flags with my current hardware? On Mojave everything is mostly working (having a constant crashing problem with suggestd): bluetooth, wifi, boot screen etc. all work.
Not a "red flag" but your video card is outside my experience, but the instructions have good workarounds for that. However, that you're hesitating at all makes me think you're not confident that if you pull out your working hard drive, try to install to a fresh hard-drive, and if it doesn't work, are afraid that plugging in your original hard drive won't return you to where you are now. In my experience, it does fine. I keep at least two working, bootable backups, along with a full time machine backup, and so far haven't had any "oh cr*p" moments of losing data. With that suggestion made, "why not give it a try?" But definitely unplug and set aside your working system drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddhhddhh2

N4LYD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2021
What is a 15.2 update?
It's a typo, I meant to type 12.1 -> 12.2. I do have to say that the 12.3 update wasn't as smooth, but I finally got it going by more-or-less starting from scratch and doing a user migration from my 12.2.1 system drive.

Mic-M4c

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
Paris, FRANCE
Hi all !

What is the "best" Martin Lo version of OpenCore to run Monterey 12.3.1 in the most stable and reliable way ?

My configuration:
Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2010) | 2x 3,46GHz | RX 580 | NVMe 1TB (Big Sur with OC 0.7.6) | SATA SSD 500GB (for Monterey installation) | upgraded WiFi ac & BT 4.2 module BCM943602CDP

Thank you !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.