Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MNissen

macrumors member
May 10, 2021
Thanks for the advice - maybe I'll try Ventura on the fusion drive first. I did have Monterey on the fusion drive quite happily, but couldn't boot into my BootCamp drive, no way no how.

So I'm hoping I'll get Ventura to allow me to boot into the BootCamp, else its back to Catalina.

MNissen

macrumors member
May 10, 2021
As it happened I used 0.6.8 and got a SSD 2Tb per aaronhitekpc's advice. It's all working beautifully.

I installed Monterey first, then did an over the air update to Ventura 13.5

I have a Sapphire Nitro RX590 and was getting no screen, to choose the OCLP EFi choices etc, so I swapped it out for the GT120 that came with the machine and that worked fine, to get the install done, and then I put the RX590 back in.

I like the idea of using both cards with a different monitor on each, but I can only get one card to work at a time. Not both together.

Could anyone give me an idea on how to get both graphics cards running?

Last edited:

MNissen

macrumors member
May 10, 2021
I post the following, to note where I ended up with my big experiment. This maybe of some help to others trying similar things:

Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1 - 2 x 2.26 quad core - early 2009.

48Gb (6x8) Ram, in two sets of three as I'm told that's an arrangement that's quicker for some reason.

Sapphire AMD RX 590 Nitro + blue graphics card, no boot screen, not flashed.

Various HDDs and SSDs.

Catalina via DosDude's patch on a 2.5Tb fusion drive. Happy as a pig in mud. All sorts of work going on here, Final Cut, Logic Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Indesign, etc, etc.

Boot Camp on a 1Tb SSD - for the sole purpose of entertaining myself with DCS World in Windows10.

So I got 2Tb SSD, to install Ventura on, via Open Core Legacy Patcher 0.6.8.

And that your honour, is where the trouble started...

I wanted to have all three coexisting in a peaceable manner.

I got Ventura via Monterey installed with the other disks pulled out and it went well. One minor annoyance is that if I "restart" Ventura, it'll not find any system, until the second boot and then it's happy, but if I shut down and then start via the power button. it's flawless.

I can have both Ventura and Catalina together so long and I remember to shut down then press the power button.

I can then use the OpenCore boot screen, to choose between them to boot up. Typically 50~55 seconds to login screen

But if I try to boot into Bootcamp, well, fffffffffft ?:mad:%#&^!$#^!*(@

The workaround is inelegant: pull the Ventura dish when shutdown to then boot into Bootcamp - no problem. Once finished with Bootcamp and shut down, Ventura disk goes back in.

Given that I spend 5 or 6 hours in DCS World, the 2 minutes it takes to pull the Ventura disk is a small price to pay.

Roll on Sonoma :)

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
I'm still using mojave on my 5,1 and want to install opencore so I can upgarde to Big Sur. I tried following the instructions on the video and at first tried to create the EFI partition it on my nvme installation of Mojave. It created the EFI partition but it was empty. So, as the video said, I created the EFI directory and copied the BOOT and OC directories into it. Keep in mind there was no APPLE folder in the EFI directory as shown in the video because I had to create the EFI directory from scratch. When I tried to bless EFI, I got the following error:

3: Could not set boot device
property: 0xe00002e2

I assumed that I got this error because there was no APPLE directory. I couldn't find a way to undo what I had done, so I simply tried it again, but got the same error. I then read the readme and it says that if I have UEFI Windows already installed, it would be better to put EFI on that drive. I do have a Windows installed on a bootcamp SSD drive so I decided to try running EFI partition again, but this time on my Windows SSD. This time the EFI directory WAS created and there was an APPLE directory inside. So I copied the the BOOT and OC directories again and tried to bless the Windows SSD. But again I got the same error as above.

I'm afraid to reboot my mac now because I'm not sure if I just bricked it by putting a failed EFI partition on two of my hard drives. How do I undo the damage? Why was I getting that error?

Some info: I'm using a 2009 5,1 mac pro with a Radeon Sapphire Pulse RX 580 GPU (unflashed). Mojave is isntalled on an NVME drive plugged into a PCI-E slot and my Windows SSD is plugged into a SATA slot. SIP is disabled, I recently flashed my bootrom and did a 3x NVRAM Reset.

Edit: The problem was SIP wasn't disabled properly. I'm not sure why, but only some of the SIP options was disabled. After disabling SIP I tried resetting the NVRAM 3 times again but it didn't seem to work, I got the following error:

-bash/jamesmurray/Volumes >nvram -c

nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

I tried resetting the NVRAM by pressing cmd+options+p+r at startup but it didn't seem to work either. So I decided to skip this step and just try to mount and bless EFI again. This time it didn't give me the option to set up EFI on my bootcamp SSD because it didn't show up in the list of drives when I ran "Mount EFI Partition" so I mounted it on my Mojave NVME drive. It seemed to work, as when I restarted my mac I got a boot screen. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to install Big Sur.

Last edited:

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
I managed to install Big Sur quite easily. I simply just downloaded it from the apple store and installed it. I didn't have to use Opencore Legacy Patcher at all. But all of the instructions said that I would need to use that. Is there a reason for that? Am I going to run into issues because I didn't use OLP?

Also the reason I installed Big Sur instead of Monteray or Ventura was because I heard there are performance issues on old Macs when you try to use anything more recent than Big Sur. But I do know that eventually Big Sur will no longer be supported so I'm wondering if anyone who's used Monterey or Ventura on an old mac like mine has had any problems. Here are my mac specs:

2009 Mac Pro upgraded to 5,1 with Open Core
Memory: 32 GB DDR
Video: Radeon Sapphire RX580
Big Sur isntalled on NVMe card plugged into Aqua Computer kryoM.2 PCI-E card
Windows boot camp installation on WDC SSD drive plugged into SATA bay

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I'm still using mojave on my 5,1 and want to install opencore so I can upgarde to Big Sur. I tried following the instructions on the video and at first tried to create the EFI partition it on my nvme installation of Mojave. It created the EFI partition but it was empty. So, as the video said, I created the EFI directory and copied the BOOT and OC directories into it. Keep in mind there was no APPLE folder in the EFI directory as shown in the video because I had to create the EFI directory from scratch. When I tried to bless EFI, I got the following error:

3: Could not set boot device
property: 0xe00002e2

I assumed that I got this error because there was no APPLE directory. I couldn't find a way to undo what I had done, so I simply tried it again, but got the same error. I then read the readme and it says that if I have UEFI Windows already installed, it would be better to put EFI on that drive. I do have a Windows installed on a bootcamp SSD drive so I decided to try running EFI partition again, but this time on my Windows SSD. This time the EFI directory WAS created and there was an APPLE directory inside. So I copied the the BOOT and OC directories again and tried to bless the Windows SSD. But again I got the same error as above.

I'm afraid to reboot my mac now because I'm not sure if I just bricked it by putting a failed EFI partition on two of my hard drives. How do I undo the damage? Why was I getting that error?

Some info: I'm using a 2009 5,1 mac pro with a Radeon Sapphire Pulse RX 580 GPU (unflashed). Mojave is isntalled on an NVME drive plugged into a PCI-E slot and my Windows SSD is plugged into a SATA slot. SIP is disabled, I recently flashed my bootrom and did a 3x NVRAM Reset.

Edit: The problem was SIP wasn't disabled properly. I'm not sure why, but only some of the SIP options was disabled. After disabling SIP I tried resetting the NVRAM 3 times again but it didn't seem to work, I got the following error:

-bash/jamesmurray/Volumes >nvram -c

nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

I tried resetting the NVRAM by pressing cmd+options+p+r at startup but it didn't seem to work either. So I decided to skip this step and just try to mount and bless EFI again. This time it didn't give me the option to set up EFI on my bootcamp SSD because it didn't show up in the list of drives when I ran "Mount EFI Partition" so I mounted it on my Mojave NVME drive. It seemed to work, as when I restarted my mac I got a boot screen. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to install Big Sur.
It would help if you provided a link to the video you're using as a guide. There are multiple videos on youtube with different approaches to OpenCore. Based on your other posting I suspect you might be using Martin Lo's OpenCore package, but it's hard to tell.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Been following this and like James, I am on Mojave on mac pro 5.1 for few years now. I have it installed on the nvme 2tb internal pcie card. I could technically do a fresh install on another nvme ssd instead over the exisiting Mojave for now. Will that work or do we need a hdd to have it installed on.

PS: installed Monterey successfully on internal nvme.

Last edited:

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
Has anyone gotten this error while trying to install monterey? It doesn't tell me what firmware is missing so I'm not sure what the cause is. I looked back through the thread and it looks like disabling solved this for someone else, but I already disabled sip and I'm still getting the error.

IMG_4465.jpg

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Has anyone gotten this error while trying to install monterey? It doesn't tell me what firmware is missing so I'm not sure what the cause is. I looked back through the thread and it looks like disabling solved this for someone else, but I already disabled sip and I'm still getting the error.

View attachment 2306279
Try turn on VMM, and turn off SMBIOS spoofing.

This error usually occur when SMBIOS spoofing was enabled.

Reactions: TheStork

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
Well I stopped getting the error after I tried installing from Big Sur, but I still can't install Monterey. I downloaded the installer and ran it, the computer restarted and in the boot picker I picked "Install Mac OS" but when it restarted it just booted back into Big Sur. So I tried doing what you suggested:

1. I confirmed that VMM was on by running these commands:

-bash/jamesmurray/~ >sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM PBE SSE3 PCLMULQDQ DTES64 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT AES PCID

-bash/jamesmurray/~ >sysctl kern.hv_support

kern.hv_support: 1

Since VMX was present and kern.hv_support is set to 1, I assume this means that VMM was enabled.

So then I disabled SMBIOS spoofing by editing the config.plist file by setting <key>Automatic</key> to <true/> under the PlatformInfo section. This instructs OpenCore to use the system's native hardware values for SMBIOS.

I tried running the installer again and, like above, it booted back into Big Sur. But this time I got an error in TGPRO saying that it can't read from the sensors because it appeared I was using a hackintosh. I assume this is because I disabled SMBIOS Spoofing. Also when I tried running the "Install Mac OS Monterey" app after it restarted it wouldn't let me select any of the disks to install it on. My OS is normally installed on my NVME disk "Mojave". When I tried to select that disk I got an error saying "the Update cannot be installed on this computer". It didn't say that before I disabled SMBIOS spoofing. So I re-enabled it because it seems to just make the issue worse. Maybe I'm missing something. I have attached both config.plist flies for your review.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 8.53.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 8.53.38 PM.png
    110 KB · Views: 34
  • config_plist_SMBIOS_Spoofing_disabled.txt
    40.3 KB · Views: 47
  • config_plist.txt
    40.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Well I stopped getting the error after I tried installing from Big Sur, but I still can't install Monterey. I downloaded the installer and ran it, the computer restarted and in the boot picker I picked "Install Mac OS" but when it restarted it just booted back into Big Sur. So I tried doing what you suggested:

1. I confirmed that VMM was on by running these commands:

-bash/jamesmurray/~ >sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM PBE SSE3 PCLMULQDQ DTES64 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT AES PCID

-bash/jamesmurray/~ >sysctl kern.hv_support

kern.hv_support: 1

Since VMX was present and kern.hv_support is set to 1, I assume this means that VMM was enabled.

So then I disabled SMBIOS spoofing by editing the config.plist file by setting <key>Automatic</key> to <true/> under the PlatformInfo section. This instructs OpenCore to use the system's native hardware values for SMBIOS.

I tried running the installer again and, like above, it booted back into Big Sur. But this time I got an error in TGPRO saying that it can't read from the sensors because it appeared I was using a hackintosh. I assume this is because I disabled SMBIOS Spoofing. Also when I tried running the "Install Mac OS Monterey" app after it restarted it wouldn't let me select any of the disks to install it on. My OS is normally installed on my NVME disk "Mojave". When I tried to select that disk I got an error saying "the Update cannot be installed on this computer". It didn't say that before I disabled SMBIOS spoofing. So I re-enabled it because it seems to just make the issue worse. Maybe I'm missing something. I have attached both config.plist flies for your review.
You should set UpdateSMBIOS to false, but not Automatic to true

James Murray

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2020
Nope, that didn't work either, just rebooted back in to Big Sur. No error this time though so at least there's some progress.

N008

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
Hey there,

I have been criss-crossing with this for a while to understand it, but I got no clear view, so I have to ask following:
Pictures in attachment.

Questions:
1. Mojave “Recovery mode” show me that sip is enabled(custom configuration) - Should I be worried about the custom configuration(picture in attachment)
2. Why does “Mojave Recovery” mode show me that sip is enabled(custom configuration) and Monterey Recovery mode show disabled(and is also impossible to change, after restart it is still in the disabled status)?
3. Has this phenomen anything to do with M.Lo OC positioning at Monterey's ESP?

4. Where is "Recovery mode" physically located?
5. Is "Recovery mode" attached to the drive where OS is positioning?

Attachments(Pictures are in the timeline):
01 Mojave before restart.jpg
02 Mojave after restart.jpg
03 Monterey before restart.jpg
04 Monterey after restart.jpg

I have:
(Yes, only one screen is connected via HDMI)
Mac Pro 5,1 2010(ROM flashed - EnableGOP method)
- Bay 1: Monterey 12.7.3 + OC Martin Lo
- Bay 3: Mojave 10.14.6
- 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @ 3.47GHz (Westmere)
- 64Gb DDR3 EEC 1333MHz (8 x 8 Gb)
- 256Gb SSD
- Radeon PULSE RX 580 4Gb
- superdrive

Attachments

• 01 Mojave before restart.jpg
    01 Mojave before restart.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 02 Mojave after restart.jpg
    02 Mojave after restart.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 03 Moneterey before restart.jpg
    03 Moneterey before restart.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 04 Moneterey after restart.jpg
    04 Moneterey after restart.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.