Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok.....

Originally posted by MacBandit
It doesn't put it in a partition. It simply puts the old system in a folder labeled previous system. You can delete it but only by changing the user permissions on the file in the get info box. It's a simple way of preventing deletion by anyone but the administrator. Also don't delete until you are absolutely positive you have gotten everything out of there that you want (mail prefs, bookmarks, etc.).

Thank you. Thank you so much. You've singlehandedly healed my insomnia. Thanks!

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok.....

Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
We don't get higher postcount by explaining how to backup :D

Just kidding.

Sorry, this just waaaaay important to me.
I'll slow down now.
Just so you know I am NOT one of those people who just posts and posts to get a higher "post count."
I had a question and it didn't get answered on the first post, so I asked until I had it cleared up. I don't want my entire hard drive to get wiped, so that's why I kept on asking.
I don't know much about "home directories" and backing up, but I know scads about iMovie and the editing process. I am pretty well versed in iTunes, Keynote, and iDVD. I know HTML code. That's as far as my knowledge of computers goes.....I have my wonderful little 12" Rev. A PowerBook all set up just the way I like it, I didn't want it to get ruined.
Thanks to MacBandit and Phil of Mac.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok.....

Originally posted by sethypoo
Sorry, this just waaaaay important to me.
I'll slow down now.
Just so you know I am NOT one of those people who just posts and posts to get a higher "post count."

I know, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the conspiracy of veterans here to make people like you ask more questions of us. AND YES, I AM INVOLVED! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by sethypoo
I had a question and it didn't get answered on the first post, so I asked until I had it cleared up. I don't want my entire hard drive to get wiped, so that's why I kept on asking.
I don't know much about "home directories" and backing up, but I know scads about iMovie and the editing process. I am pretty well versed in iTunes, Keynote, and iDVD. I know HTML code. That's as far as my knowledge of computers goes.....I have my wonderful little 12" Rev. A PowerBook all set up just the way I like it, I didn't want it to get ruined.
Thanks to MacBandit and Phil of Mac.

No problem, glad to be of help :)

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Hmm, well the first disc went fine, when I got to the second an error occured and I had to quit, but the 1st disc installed everything needed to run so I just rand disc 2/3 as program installers.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
Phil and Bandit...nice job of kicking down the knowledge...I had a couple questions but you guys answered pretty much everything. See...this is why I love the Apple community..Very helpful...

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Tell you what you dont get this with Microsoft iam still waiting for an answr to a problem i posted 7 months ago on one of there forums lo

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Thanks, MacBandito, for spreadin' the love. My copy of Panther should be here any minute. Good to hear the latest word on installing the beast...

Cheers,

mangoho

Blue Sky

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Okay for anyone new to Mac OSX. I highly, I repeat HIGHLY recommend either doing an archive and install without copying your settings over or....

Just for clarification...

By this do you mean to choose the option to NOT import your Home folder and user info at all?

Then what do you do? Just drag personal data files from your backup Home folder and not bring the Library folder with it's prefernces?

I want to do this correctly, and you seem to have a good handle on this, MacBandito.

TIA

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Blue Sky
Just for clarification...

By this do you mean to choose the option to NOT import your Home folder and user info at all?

Then what do you do? Just drag personal data files from your backup Home folder and not bring the Library folder with it's prefernces?

I want to do this correctly, and you seem to have a good handle on this, MacBandito.

TIA

Yes, at the very most chose the archive install option but do not chose the copy old settings and prefs. If you can backup all your data and chose the clean install to format the drive and do a completely clean install from the bottom up. If you chose the archive install copy over only what you need like your mail settings and bookmarks. Leave whatever you can set up manually in Panther. This prevents copying corrupted or old version prefs to your new system.

I know for some of you this sounds like a lot of work but the rewards are very great. Also the amount of work you might put in chasing down a bug that was caused by old data may be much greater then doing it right the first time.

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
I am thinking about doing a clean install - and the only two things I really care about backing up are my documents and my music on iTunes. My documents are backed up on iDisk and my music is on my ipod. If I wanted to go about doing a clean install, how would I get my documents and music back on my computer?

Thanks.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
good thread...

i have an ext. FW HD, so i will probably do a clean install. what i'm wondering is, do the iApps operate the same way as it does in Jag? for example, i can back up my iPhoto pictures by copying the entire "Pictures" directory to FWHD. when i drag back the Pictures directory from FWHD to replace the one created by panther when it's installed, will iPhoto recognize those pictures correctly?

other software are either freeware i can re-download or i have CDs for, so shouldn't be a problem. i'm just curious if the restore procedure as i described above will work or not...?

davetrow1997

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2003
North Augusta, SC
Re: music on iPod

If you have your music on your iPod, there is no "official" way to transfer it back to your computer directly from the iPod. I've heard there are some hacks, but I don't know about them.

So, in order to not lose your music (if you are doing a clean install):

Burn all your music to a CD or a DVD (this is a good idea anyway).

You can then reimport it into iTunes afterward... look at Apples iTunes help.. it strongly recommends backing up your paid for/downloaded music files (as the AAC files, not as audio CDs) because if you do have a catastrophic event, you'd have to pay for everything again.

If you've just ripped your own CDs on the other hand, all you risk is the time and effort to re-rip everything.

Hope this answers one of your questions.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Also the amount of work you might put in chasing down a bug that was caused by old data may be much greater then doing it right the first time.

I know das right. Tell da troof, now!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Mason
I am thinking about doing a clean install - and the only two things I really care about backing up are my documents and my music on iTunes. My documents are backed up on iDisk and my music is on my ipod. If I wanted to go about doing a clean install, how would I get my documents and music back on my computer?

Thanks.

If you want to save your music you will need to copy your music to the iPod hard drive mounted on the desktop you can not do it with iTunes. iTunes only syncs one way to the iPod. It will not import music back into iTunes from the iPod. This is to prevent people from using the iPod to sync friends computers with their music.

Okay now that we have that clear. Once you have done the clean install simply copy your music from the iPod mounted on the desktop back to your user/music folder and in Backup go to the view menu and then choose restore from iDisk.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jxyama
good thread...

i have an ext. FW HD, so i will probably do a clean install. what i'm wondering is, do the iApps operate the same way as it does in Jag? for example, i can back up my iPhoto pictures by copying the entire "Pictures" directory to FWHD. when i drag back the Pictures directory from FWHD to replace the one created by panther when it's installed, will iPhoto recognize those pictures correctly?

other software are either freeware i can re-download or i have CDs for, so shouldn't be a problem. i'm just curious if the restore procedure as i described above will work or not...?

Use Apples Backup to save your pictures folder to your external drive and then use it to restore once you install Panther. This should subvert any possible conflicts. As a side note as far as I am aware iPhoto in Panther is exactly the same as iPhoto in Jaguar at this moment.

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Well, unfortunately, before anyone here responded I got some bad advice that I could save all my music on my ipod and then transfer it back to itunes after the clean install. I know someone mentioned a hack to let one import music from the ipod - if one exists, I'd really appreciate know where to get it because I have music on my ipod that I will not be able to get again.

I'd appreciate any help anyone might have for me. Thanks.

Minus Blindfold

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
The only thing with me is I have over a gig of music and docs but no iPod. I'm guessing my best bet is to Archive and Install

sfleming

macrumors newbie
To my fellow newbies

I'm a recent switcher (AC/DC) actually. Mac is different that's for sure. I really want to recommend "The Missing Manual". It has really helped me. I know nobody wants to slog through 700 pages of text but you don't have to. I read through the basic explanations of mac filing, organization, window views etc and underlined a bit as I went. That got me going pretty fast (and I had never used a mac even a little bit). Now after a couple weeks of getting a little lost and then digging my way out with the book to help me it's all becomming clear. I put taped tabs wherever in the book I find really good stuff.

This is the deepest I've ever gotten into ANY manual but my new powerbook has inspired me. Just as my Canon 10D inspired me to better understand it than any other camera I've ever had. I can't encourage the many newbies struggling, as is obvious from reading this forum, with their macs ... get the "Missing Manual" and start reading.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Well, I just installed. I did the upgrade just because it was easier, not that I recommend it to others. Disc 3 is only used if you install "extra" stuff like X11. Other than that...wow. This is great :D

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
I did the clean install. I backed up everything I could on backup and then then got my music back off my ipod with that rip. So far, I think it's great. I love expose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.