Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Another Upgrade/install question...

Before I ask, thanks for the great work at helping others. I guess we will do the same in the future, hopefully when Apple is back with, at least 10 % of the market in about 4 to 5 years. :)

Now the question: I read somewhere that some applications, such as iDVD are not included with Panther. Which means, they will require manual installation later. Is this true? Does Panther include all the applications from Jaguar? I bought my computer less than a month ago, so I do not have data to backup really. The files that I need I keep in iDisk and the stuff I have downloaded I can do it again. What I think could be a pain will be install Panther, then the misssing application (if any) from my Jaguar installation DVD.

Any comments or clarification will be much appreciated.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Clarification...

This is my first install under X where I don't want to mess with how my partitions are set up...so the question is if I choose the Clean install option is that going to wipe the entire drive clean or just clean off the partition with the system folder?

My home folder only has the library, a few files in the documents folder, then a bunch of aliases to the second partition and my other drives. I really don't want to touch that second partition because everything on there is exactly how I want it.

Thanks.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by gmanrique
Now the question: I read somewhere that some applications, such as iDVD are not included with Panther. Which means, they will require manual installation later. Is this true? Does Panther include all the applications from Jaguar?

It is true, however, as long as you upgrade instead of clean install, iDVD will continue to be there and will continue to work perfectly. I just tested this.

Originally posted by TheAnswer
This is my first install under X where I don't want to mess with how my partitions are set up...so the question is if I choose the Clean install option is that going to wipe the entire drive clean or just clean off the partition with the system folder?

My home folder only has the library, a few files in the documents folder, then a bunch of aliases to the second partition and my other drives. I really don't want to touch that second partition because everything on there is exactly how I want it.

It should only erase the partition you install on.

valypan

macrumors regular
May 21, 2002
Denmark
Backup Beta

A little note to anyone new to Mac, computers or who dont know or fancy knowing how to backup...I have been using the .MAC Backup program for a while now and it works great! It saved me a lot of hassles and it is thoroughly understandable also by newbies :)
Just my two cents :) Enjoy Panther all you out there cuz here in Denmark it has not arrived yet :(

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Just to chime in ...

I did the G5 upgrade earlier this evening and all went well except one gliche. It seems that when starting up from the install disk, my USB hub, which my keyboard is connected to, was not recoginized. I had to plug the keyboard into one of the built in USB ports. After that, all went well ... so far. :) Exposé is awsome to say the least. I think Exposé and Fast User Swithing are going to be my favorite features.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
What about "Backup"?

Times like this, I love .Mac :D. Backup made my truly clean install of Panther complete. .Mac bookmarks and iSync kicked in. Everything else came off my burned DVDs. Just another Apple recommendation. I have to tell my friends, I DO NOT GET PAID FOR THIS. ;)

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
To everybody who have contributed to this thread ... Thank you. I just love Panther. I did the Upgrade (come to think that it did not give the option to do an Archive ans Install), anyway it is just amazing. Fast User Switching and Expose are awsome. But also, please any iMac user correct me if I am wrong, the fonts are a lot sharper. It seems to take more advantage of the monitor resolution. A couple of bugs I used to have with Preview are gone. Also, Safari is way better. When I restart my computer, it takes less that 1/3rd of the time it used to take. I think I could not be happier with the upgrade (unless it were a Hardware upgrade.. G5 anyone :) ). Anyway it is just great.

P/ For the people having problems. One thing that I noticed was a recommendation to do a Disk Permissions Check/Repair BEFORE the upgrade or install, not AFTER it fails. I did this since yesterday after updating Quick Time and it did detected a whole bunch of problems. So I fixed those problems (using Disk Utility) and today everything has gone trouble free so far.

Again, I am Happy... I am a Mac user :)

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by gmanrique
To everybody who have contributed to this thread ... Thank you. I just love Panther. I did the Upgrade (come to think that it did not give the option to do an Archive ans Install)

It doesn't give you options, you have to take them by clicking the "Options..." button. Are you man enough to take them?

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Upgrade: Just upgrades your system.
Archive and Install: Backs up your existing OS and installs a new, fresh one. Your filez are left untouched.

Ok, I've installed Panther with the archive and install feature, and I've found my "Previous System" folder. The only thing is, I never opened the folder.....all my settings were left untouched. Can I just delete the folder, or do I copy everything over again to my new home or what? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Also, is the previous system folder taking up hard drive space? I used to have 39GB free, now I have about 36GB free, which is about right since Panther takes about 3GB of space to install.

Also, if I don't delete my Previous System folder, if I use File Vault, will it encrypt both home directories (new and old)?

Thanks!

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by sethypoo
Ok, I've installed Panther with the archive and install feature, and I've found my "Previous System" folder. The only thing is, I never opened the folder.....all my settings were left untouched. Can I just delete the folder, or do I copy everything over again to my new home or what? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just let it sit as a backup in case something spontaneously combusts for awhile so you can go back to it if needed. You can delete it later if you find it unnecessary.

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok.....

That's certainly true. But installer failure shouldn't cause data loss, should it?

It could, or perhaps, part of 10.2 will be overwritten with 10.3 and it will stop for some reason. Then you have the boot options of 10.2 and 10.3, neither of which work.

This actually happend to me while I used the 'Upgrade' option while installing 10.3. I was eventually finally able to install 10.3 by doing the 'Archive' option and removing some of the languages I would never use.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Just let it sit as a backup in case something spontaneously combusts for awhile so you can go back to it if needed. You can delete it later if you
find it unnecessary.

Ok, and if I were to delete it now, would I lose everything else in my new home directory?

Sorry if this is a "like duh" question, but if I encrypt with File Vault, does the Previous Systems folder get encrypted too?
Thanks.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Ok, and if I were to delete it now, would I lose everything else in my new home directory?

Sorry if this is a "like duh" question, but if I encrypt with File Vault, does the Previous Systems folder get encrypted too?
Thanks.

Does your new home directory have all your old files?

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
I was going to delete a song from my Previous Systems iTunes folder, but I can't find on at all anywhere in Previous Systems.....

Yeah, that's because all your personal files and stuff aren't archived, they're just kept. Only the OS stuff is archived.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Yeah, that's because all your personal files and stuff aren't archived, they're just kept. Only the OS stuff is archived.

Sooooo.....crap. I don't know what to delete to test it.
Any suggestions?
Lol, this is great.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
What would it exactly be a test of? *confused*

I'd just like to free up the 2.1GB of space my Previous Systems folder is taking up.....I am a avid movie maker, I need all the GB's I can get. I want to test what will happen to my new OS and home directory if I delete my Previous Systems folder. All my files are in my new home directory, ie, the ones I care about: movie files, iDVD files, iTunes files.....so on and so forth. I just am wondering what I will be deleting if I delete the Prevous Systems folder. Also, if I do delete it, I just stick it in the trash, and empty it, right?

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
I'd just like to free up the 2.1GB of space my Previous Systems folder is taking up.....I am a avid movie maker, I need all the GB's I can get. I want to test what will happen to my new OS and home directory if I delete my Previous Systems folder. All my files are in my new home directory, ie, the ones I care about: movie files, iDVD files, iTunes files.....so on and so forth. I just am wondering what I will be deleting if I delete the Prevous Systems folder.

Your installation of Mac OS X Jaguar.

Also, if I do delete it, I just stick it in the trash, and empty it, right?

You should Get Info on it and change permissions so that you have the authority to do that first, but yes.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Your installation of Mac OS X Jaguar.

You should Get Info on it and change permissions so that you have the authority to do that first, but yes.

Phil: you're great.

Patient, straight forward.....good to know that there is someone out there to help me out.

Maybe someday I'll be in your shoes helping someone else out in their OS installation problems.

Oh, wait, I just thought of another question.....shoot, it's too late to think.....

Anyway, thanks Phil. You've got my vote for the next MacRumors Demi-God or whatever is above your status right now.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Phil: you're great.

Patient, straight forward.....good to know that there is someone out there to help me out.

Maybe someday I'll be in your shoes helping someone else out in their OS installation problems.

Oh, wait, I just thought of another question.....shoot, it's too late to think.....

Anyway, thanks Phil. You've got my vote for the next MacRumors Demi-God or whatever is above your status right now.

You're very welcome. Go ahead and feel free to ask me if you ever have any more questions. I enjoy the opportunity to help out others :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.