Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
The worse thing would be to replace the firewire spot with all those card reader slots (SD, Compact flash, etc...).

Talk about ugly.

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
I agree, I think the orginal "FireWire is getting dropped" rumor was pretty irresponsible of Ogrady's PowerPage any way. It was more of a preditiction, not a solid rumor, and it just took off on the Web.

For all the reasons described here, loosing FireWire now would be a very very bad idea. I fully believe Apple will keep it until all new shipping camcorders (including high-end!) are on something else (if ever).

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
My brother got a camcorder for Christmas and it only came with a USB cable. Will that work out of the box with a Mac and iMovie??

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
plastique45 said:
One of FireWire's greatest asset is that you need only 1 port as all devices are hub-able.

I was thinking that too until I looked at my 3G iPod and saw no second firewire port to daisy chain it.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
Keep the Modem, Ethernet and FireWire Ports

Cinch said:
boo-hoo-hoo, i'm not sympathetic.

The way i see it is one less ungainly hole to see on a cute iBook or PB. While they are at it, get rid of the modem port and ethernet port too. Give me a beautiful stylist laptop with long battery life and wireless access.
Let not cater to people who like to stick every which wires that they can find to their laptop.:D

Cinch

Personally, I take my iBook everywhere. The Modem is very usefull for sending and recieving faxes, and connecting to the 'net in places where there is no wireless or broadband connection.

The Ethernet port is good for connecting to networks that don't have wireless, or even just to another computer (I always carry a patch cable).

The Firewire port is great for connect two mac's, for connecting to my DV cam and external drives.

I love the fact that I have the option, even though I don't always fill the ports.

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
radiskull said:
I believe you maybe confusing Macosxrumors.com with Macosrumors.com.

Exactly. macosxrumors.com is pretty good. And they don't put out many outlandish rumors. macosrumors.com on the other hand is complete drivel. Their latest hypothesis is that OS X (non-server) will split into 2 OSes: MacOS X and MacOSXi, one for pros, one for consumers. That's typical, and they reprint other's rumors, pre-date-stamp them, and make them sound like their own "sources." They need to be taken down.

(end thread hijack)

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
FireWire has consistent speed, speed claimed by USB 2.0 is rated as burst speed. In the real world, even FW400 has much better performance than USB 2.0, no need to even mention FW800.

That's the reason why you very very rarely see if not never see digital camcorder uses USB for video transfer. (Most USB ports on the DV camcorders are for using it as a USB webcam not for video capture or transfer, such as Canon).

If Apple decides to drop FW ports, then there is no need for them even to ship iMovie with the machine at all. I don't understand why people could possibly think this rumor is creditable. Apple could be brain dead if they do that.

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
orion123 said:
Exactly. macosxrumors.com is pretty good. And they don't put out many outlandish rumors. macosrumors.com on the other hand is complete drivel. Their latest hypothesis is that OS X will split into 2 OSes: MacOS X and MacOSXi, one for pros, one for consumers. That's typical, and they reprint other's rumors, pre-date-stamp them, and make them sound like their own "sources." They need to be taken down.
(end thread hijack)

Yah, why would they make a MacOS X and MacOSXi, when they already have MacOS X and MacOS X Server? :)

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
After G said:
If the pro computers only come with FW800, I hope they include a downconverter to FW400. I have a bunch of FW400 devices and no FW800 devices. Maybe they'll have both, which is even more awesome.

They already make this I beleive. They are reffered to as 9-pin to 6-pin cables.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
revenuee said:
the IT person couldn't administer a toaster so talking to them about it is useless

thankyou, you are the first person on macrumors to make me fall off my chair.

:)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Now this rumors makes a little more sense!

Not that I've ever run out of USB ports--but I'm sure Mac Mini owners do if they don't use a keyboard or display like Apple's, with a hub built in.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
johnnyjibbs said:
The more I think about it, the more I think this is complete tosh. I mean, with iMovie and iChat needing Firewire to work (iChat requires Firewire for video out of the box) and the iSight only working via Firewire, dropping Firewire would be like first annoucning the G5 and then making the next OS upgrade G5-only. It simply doesn't make sense.

We all know that Firewire is much better than USB2. Unfrotunately, USB2 is the one that has been fully embraced.

Not exactly... I saw in 'Macaddict" that the iSight in the iMac G5 is connected via USB... hmmm :(

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Relax everyone. Apple's new Intel machines will all ship with FireWire 400 support. There is no reason not to, and many reasons to do (stated above). Perhaps they will/could drop FW800 in favor of external SATA conntecor? FW800 has not taken off at all really, so there would be no harm in pulling that plug. FW400 seems like it's here to stay. FW400 is just as good as USB 2.0, if not better. I know USB 2.0 has theoretical higher transfer rates, but in real life I think that FW400 beats it out.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
Randall said:
Relax everyone. Apple's new Intel machines will all ship with FireWire 400 support. There is no reason not to, and many reasons to do (stated above). Perhaps they will/could drop FW800 in favor of external SATA conntecor? FW800 has not taken off at all really, so there would be no harm in pulling that plug. FW400 seems like it's here to stay. FW400 is just as good as USB 2.0, if not better. I know USB 2.0 has theoretical higher transfer rates, but in real life I think that FW400 beats it out.

Firewire easily beats USB on transfer speed. Thats why camcorders use it. I would doubt they would put an external SAT connector on a laptop.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
If all this is true, then I am extremely happy. I don't want to see FireWire go anywhere any time soon. As far as the battle between FireWire and USB 2.0... FireWire wins hands down, technically speaking.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Cybernanga said:
Personally, I take my iBook everywhere. The Modem is very usefull for sending and recieving faxes, and connecting to the 'net in places where there is no wireless or broadband connection.

The Ethernet port is good for connecting to networks that don't have wireless, or even just to another computer (I always carry a patch cable).

The Firewire port is great for connect two mac's, for connecting to my DV cam and external drives.

I love the fact that I have the option, even though I don't always fill the ports.

Well, you should keep hold of you iBook then!

I was freakin out for about 2 seconds till i realised - this doesn't REALLY affect me that much, if USB2 is the way forward, then Apple will sort us out. If they continue with firewire, then they will - the truth is we won't know till MWSF at the earliest, and our current macs wont all suddenly morph into non-firewire supporting behemoths, will they?

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
hob said:
Well, you should keep hold of you iBook then!

I was freakin out for about 2 seconds till i realised - this doesn't REALLY affect me that much, if USB2 is the way forward, then Apple will sort us out. If they continue with firewire, then they will - the truth is we won't know till MWSF at the earliest, and our current macs wont all suddenly morph into non-firewire supporting behemoths, will they?

This topic has been done over several times before. Short answer, Apple CANNOT drop Firewire from hardware anytime soon; too much Pro hardware relies on it, and Apple is NOT about to alienate them.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
kainjow said:
My brother got a camcorder for Christmas and it only came with a USB cable. Will that work out of the box with a Mac and iMovie??

No, you need a 4 to 6 pin Firewire cable.

Why camcorders don't ship with these is beyond me.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
slu said:
No, you need a 4 to 6 pin Firewire cable.

Why camcorders don't ship with these is beyond me.

The connector is smaller and thusly easier to integrate on small electronic devices. Sony is the big pusher of the 4-pin FW connector; they had it branded as iLink and pushed the technology on all of their devices.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
NYmacAttack said:
Firewire easily beats USB on transfer speed. Thats why camcorders use it. I would doubt they would put an external SAT connector on a laptop.
Sure. I said that FW400 beats out USB 2.0, even though USB 2.0 has higher theoretical burst transfer rates then FireWire 400 does.

Why do you think that they would not put eSATA connectors on a laptop? It beats the hell out of FireWire 400 for external hard drives, and it seems to me like it has more of a future then FireWire 800, which I still have yet to see any devices for it. However, I have seen many new external hard drives have support for external SATA connectors.

So I say, keep FW400, and replace FW800 with external SATA. It makes sense.

USB 2.0 = 480Mb/s
Firewire 400 = 400Mb/s
Firewire 800 = 800Mb/s
SATA = 1,200Mb/s or 3,000Mb/s

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Sunrunner said:
The connector is smaller and thusly easier to integrate on small electronic devices. Sony is the big pusher of the 4-pin FW connector; they had it branded as iLink and pushed the technology on all of their devices.
I think he was saying why don't the camcorders ship with a 4-pin to 6-pin connector. The 4-pin connector makes perfect sense to use with electronics that aren't utilizing the power feature of FireWire, since the 4-pin connector is small and low profile, it integrates well with modern electronics that continue to get smaller and more advanced.

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
What would be the point?

Why would Apple drop Firewire support? Just to fit in? Most PC laptops have Firewire these days. I know my 3-year-old Dell does!

AUBPsych

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Alabama
Bastich said:
And don't forget about all those Firewire iPods still floating around out there. Remember those? If thousands of people bought a brand new MacIntel only to find out it's incompatible with their iPod, there would be hell to pay. No, Apple will have to wait a couple years yet before pulling the old forced-upgrade trick.

:cool:

Agreed. I still have a B&W 4G iPod that I dearly love - and FW is my primary connection method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.