Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
@wicknix Thanks for re-uploading the G4/G5 version. Works great on Leopard. :) I noticed this one doesnt have a "Check for Update" or I am just blind and cant find it. If you were to update it , would you just update this page?
I don't think he has any plans to update it. If he does, it would probably just be the source code.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Hi everyone, I have a beautiful iMac g4 800mhz, it support up to 10.4.11 and I would love to be able to use it a bit more also for some basic web browsing but every browser I tried seems to be super slow and heavy on this configuration. I tried interppc, tenfourfox, tenfourfoxpep and a few more too if I remember correctly.
What is the best option in your opinion?

I have 512 of ram, too little I guess. I just would like to use it as it is for super basic tasks every once in a while, just for pleasure.

cheers!

NKA_krokodil

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a beautiful iMac g4 800mhz, it support up to 10.4.11 and I would love to be able to use it a bit more also for some basic web browsing but every browser I tried seems to be super slow and heavy on this configuration. I tried interppc, tenfourfox, tenfourfoxpep and a few more too if I remember correctly.
What is the best option in your opinion?

I have 512 of ram, too little I guess. I just would like to use it as it is for super basic tasks every once in a while, just for pleasure.

cheers!
One thing a lot of people don't realise about PPC Mac browsers is that the internet is not the same beast it was back when Apple still used PPC processors (for a start, there's a LOT more data being downloaded), so people who make PPC Mac browsers have had to cut features often found in modern browsers. So, pages will load slower than they would in, say, the latest version of Safari on a M1 MacBook Pro.

That being said, the latest version of InterWebPPC works quite well on my iBook G4, which has half the RAM of your iMac, compared to vanilla TenFourFox & especially Safari 4.1.3. Pages that don't load in Safari load in TFF & somewhat faster in IWPPC.

If you're finding that the slowness is bothering you too much, look into downgrading your iMac's operating system, and/or acquiring more RAM for it. Honestly, more RAM is an easier & better fix than an OS downgrade, but an OS downgrade doesn't cost money.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
A sticky thread on how to get the browsing experience on ppc up to snuff would be useful. :)

imixmuan2

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2021
A sticky thread on how to get the browsing experience on ppc up to snuff would be useful. :)

What also might be useful, for the noobs and kiddos would be a pre-set confiigured version of TFF or Interweb PPC, ie with a selection of user agents, maybe some commonly used FoxBoxes. I recognize it's hardly a big hurdle to jump, but for some people its too much. And their old mac just sits when it could be doing so many useful things....

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@imixmuan2 Like AquaWeb? I would think that something that has been made to chew through most websites OOB on even a mid-tier G4 might be a good fit - no prefs, addons, or script installations needed ...

Last edited:

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
One thing a lot of people don't realise about PPC Mac browsers is that the internet is not the same beast it was back when Apple still used PPC processors (for a start, there's a LOT more data being downloaded), so people who make PPC Mac browsers have had to cut features often found in modern browsers. So, pages will load slower than they would in, say, the latest version of Safari on a M1 MacBook Pro.

That being said, the latest version of InterWebPPC works quite well on my iBook G4, which has half the RAM of your iMac, compared to vanilla TenFourFox & especially Safari 4.1.3. Pages that don't load in Safari load in TFF & somewhat faster in IWPPC.

If you're finding that the slowness is bothering you too much, look into downgrading your iMac's operating system, and/or acquiring more RAM for it. Honestly, more RAM is an easier & better fix than an OS downgrade, but an OS downgrade doesn't cost money.

no, I just didn’t have time to write a long post, I do realise that internet is not the same, obviously. I wasn’t born yesterday, I grew up during the internet boom of the 2000’s and I was playing with pc’s from the mid 90’s.
If it works well for you then I start thinking that my Mac has some HD issues and doesn’t read/write properly.
I was trying yesterday to open a website of an Australian newspaper and it took about 30 seconds just to react to one click on the scroll bar.
I tried aquaweb too and it’s better, that’s why I was asking if there is a totally stripped down browser like aqua web (which is more like a box that relies on tenfourfox) but with at least an address bar and a back and forward button.

I thought about downloading but All the browsers I found so far seem to require tiger.

It is not matter of life or death, I just would have liked to be able to some basic tasks on it because it is the most beautiful computer ever made.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
What also might be useful, for the noobs and kiddos would be a pre-set confiigured version of TFF or Interweb PPC, ie with a selection of user agents, maybe some commonly used FoxBoxes. I recognize it's hardly a big hurdle to jump, but for some people its too much. And their old mac just sits when it could be doing so many useful things....
So if someone is asking for help is a kid? Wow, you must be a wise old man, white beard, 2 million years old, sitting on top of the Olympus. I apologise if my comment disturbed your day.

If I asked, POLITELY, it is because I obviously don’t mind and actually WANT to get into it and try to change settings/agents/configuration files etc. otherwise I would simply use my M1 air don’t you think?
I simply asked if my machine is good enough based on other users experience and what is the best browser to start with!

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
It could be - especially if it's the original disk. You really have to optimise every single thing to go online and even then accept the slower pace things move at.
I turned it on yesterday after quite a while.
I might look into it a bit more, opening files (photos and docs) and navigating the finder seem to be quite ok, I run a disk check and it returned ok. Maybe I need more ram who knows. I’ll definitely look into it more.
I am of course happy to accept slowness, it’s a 19yo machine with an old (although still the best I think) OS.

I have an iBook g3 running OS9 and classilla seems to be more speedy on the web though. I wish this iMac could run OS9 natively.

Thanks!

NKA_krokodil

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
It’s a 2003 800mhz g4.
That's the exact same model of iBook I have, so it's probably your hard drive failing. The previous owner of mine upgraded it to a 60GB hard drive from 40GB, which is probably why mine appears to work better despite having less RAM. Also, iBooks are tedious to open (they have a LOT of screws), so I'd sort that out sooner rather than later.

That being said, this is a thread about a specific piece of software, not hardware.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
However I can’t get it running on Leopard 9a241.
Yeah that build of Leopard is older than 10.4.11 is. I’m not sure TFF actually runs on GM 10.5.0. It might, I’ve never tried. But 10.4.11 was rolled out a day before 10.5.1.

I think I got TFF to launch on one of the Leopard betas, but it froze within seconds and then crashes. I don’t remember which build it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.