Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superstardj

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
NC
Hey, Jeremy here from North Carolina!

2009 Macbookpro 13 inch 2.53 4gb 320gb
Logic Express 9
2 x SL-1200MKII Turntables
2 x CDJ2000's
1 x DJM800 Mixer

Just got my feet wet with logic and am planning on buying a professional keyboard and learn it as well.

Reactions: sniper_wolf

Option315

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
New York
Hey all - long time reader, first time poster.

I've been recording with Macs for about 8 years with various software, ending up with Pro Tools for the last 5 or so. I'm by no means an expert (especially since I'm going to Full Sail University as we speak to study Music Production!), but I'm always down to help/collaborate with anyone. Any style/genre of music...it's all the same for me. I do it because I love to play and make music!

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah

Todd here, longtime multi-instrumentalist/recorder primarily in the progressive rock and ambient domains although I've probably played in bands of just about any kind you can think over the year. My main instrument is guitar but also play six string bass, keyboards, and drums.

I use multiple macs, multiple recording platforms although I came from the "splice this analog tape will ya?" school at one point.

My day gig is I.T. I'm not getting any younger and the fact that I often play music that is ....unconventional to say the least...

My recent release "this is aliensporebomb" is up at itunes, amazon mp3 and about 30 other etailers.

I also have 3 ambient releases at http://aliensporebomb.bandcamp.com/ that might be of interest.

Animacnut

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
Tennessee
I am Animacnut (you can call me Ben). I am trained in Visual and Electronic Media, with two degrees. Using my mac, I have only a few things now, iLife, Logic Studio and Final Draft. I am trying to get a job so I can, among other things, get a new machine (so my girlfriend can have my current one), and outfit it as a true digital a/v production studio with Final Cut Studio, upgrades to the programs I already have and are out of date, as well as the additional hardware I need to producing my own stuff.

Macintosha

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
Hi

Good time of day to Everyone,
I am Mike, Calgary, Canada. Long-time Mac fan, am reading these forums for a long time, finally registered to participate and learn about Mac.
Cheers,
Mike :)

electronique

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Good morning and hello all to.

My name be Ishkan Islamishad. Me play in band name 'Rotten Apple Fridge Magnet'

Me play on Mac for year ten and with freind we now in band. I play Oud. Also band play Ney, darbuka and daf. Like we play rock and pop.

tramplehurdle

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
New to Mac

Hey all, I've been using Tracktion 2 on a pc for nearly 4 years and just switched to a Mac G5! Just got my DAW installed last night,did some tracking and am still figuring out things but so far so good. I've searched several places but haven't found the EXACT description of how to install all my favorite 3rd party VST's and fx but that's what rainy weekends are for.Good luck to all! Power Mac G5,Tracktion 2, drums, Paiste cymbals,Mackie Onyx 400f,Behringer Eurodesk MX2004A and the occasional song posted @ soundclick.com/babiestookmydingo

elpenguino

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Florida
Hi there!

Hunter, from sunny Central Florida. I'm currently a digital arts major with a concentration in sound, and a music minor. I've worked with all three major daw's (Logic, Pro Tools, and Live) and also am getting pretty good with Max/MSP. I've even dabbled a bit in ChucK.

By day I'm a clarinet play, by night I have been known to play piano, bass, guitar, and even some drums.

vanlutz

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Hello:

I'm George from Jerssee and I'm one of those idiots that knows computers, but forgets real easy. So, I ask the stupid questions.

HighTopFade

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Daly City
I'm actually a Microsoft IT guy. I was a mobile/mix tape DJ in the 80s and stopped in the early 90s when I thought music started to suck. When I found out about the existence of Rane Serato, I decided to buy some Technics 1200s and play MP3s on time coded vinyl. Macs have always been the industry standard for art and music so i had a perfectly good excuse to buy one.... or two. Hard to go back to Windows.

For music, I use Serato, Audacity, Mixed In Key, and Platinum Notes.

It's cool this section exist.

soundscalpel

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Hello

Well, hello... a newbie here and thought I'd say hello! I hopefully can contribute something meaningful here overtime! I am the co-owner of 2 sound libraries and a professional sound designer.

I use a combination of PC and Mac and use Sony Soundforge on the PC (and sometimes still revert back to Cool Edit Pro 2.0 just for old times sake) and Bias Peak on the Mac for editing. I also use Logic (and sometimes Garageband just because I can) for multitracking.

That's it for now.... any sound designers out there want to get in touch with me, please do ;)

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Hi I'm Matthew and I am 17 and from the UK. I use logic studio 9 to record guitar and vocals for my songwriting and also I'm going to start recording with my band when I get better at using the software and also when we get some good songs together :p

Hope that I can contribute to these threads.

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I'm 57 and sometimes feel like a real dinosaur. I've been a full time musician my entire life. Worked as a studio player, arranger, composer, worked in jingles, some film, worked with various performers and symphony orchestras. I remember the "good 'ole days" when a studio full of 60 musicians recording was an everyday occurrence.

I write music via standard music notation, I compose using Finale. Bring the midi file into Logic for tweaking, then export into Protools if I need further audio refinements.

Now we're all the modern day equivalent of a one man band. Technology is frustrating at times, but when it's good......it's real good.

Booch21

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Top of the day to everyone! I'm Dave, 45 years old and a newbie to the Mac. I started getting involved in doing voiceovers and voice acting work and started out on my older Dell with Adobe Audition and CS4 Production Premium. I also dabble in video production and have been learning as I go.

I bought my iMac in September and haven't looked back. I now have Adobe CS5 Production Premium and Audition for Mac Beta. Awesome machine and awesome software.

I also run a message forum and an added part of the forum is a series of podcasts that I do from time to time. I've been dabbling in all of this for a little over a year but I'm really enjoying all of it!

My equipment includes the iMac, an Alesis USB 4 channel mixer, a couple of sets of typical headphones, and a small arsenal of microphones, including the MXL 990 USB and XLR, the Rode NT1-A and the ElectroVoice RE20 along with a couple of throw away dynamics.

Nice to meet everyone!

a1rflow

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Hi!

I'm Dedrick and I'll probably be on the Digital Audio forums a lot. I'm currently studying Music Technology at NYU and I'm learning a bunch about the industry and all the crazy things people do with audio through technology. I'm also working on slowly building my own personal studio. I know a lot about Pro Tools and other software, so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

martinmolnar

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
I'm actually a Microsoft IT guy. I was a mobile/mix tape DJ in the 80s and stopped in the early 90s when I thought music started to suck. When I found out about the existence of Rane Serato, I decided to buy some Technics 1200s and play MP3s on time coded vinyl. Macs have always been the industry standard for art and music so i had a perfectly good excuse to buy one.... or two. Hard to go back to Windows.

For music, I use Serato, Audacity, Mixed In Key, and Platinum Notes.

It's cool this section exist.

Hi! What does Microsoft IT guy mean? Do you work at THE MICROSOFT or something else? Thanks!

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Hi,

I'm not a recording artist, but am interested to get the best possible sound quality I can afford.

This is why I renounced computer speakers and am currently working on getting a set-up with a receiver connected to my Mac going through USB 2.0 (if this is the best way to do it).

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
Hey all...love the idea of a little MacRumors Music Community. Going to go a little outside the comfort zone to participate!

I'm a life long (30ish years) music lover and wanna-be music creator/performer.

My father and brother are life long guitarists/vocalists (my dad just finished his Berkley School certificate for Guitar). I'm still trying to find time from work to hone my craft in guitar and write the music in my head.

At an early age of doing the band thing, I came to appreciate and love the vocal thing, so I'm probably a Singer first and foremost (definitely what I've worked on most over the years...aside from the cigs :D).

I'm within a month or two of going "all in" and launching a studio to record my stuff and eventually serve the local community (after I take a few courses in Audio Production likely).

The Plan:

New iMac
Apogee Ensemble or Symphony I/O (really want Thunderbolt)
Logic
Pearl Pro Electric/Acoustic Drumset
Bose L1 Double Bass (probably)

Various other wah or effects pedals....

I'm sure I'll need a mixer as well or maybe a Logic Hardware control piece. Not sure what else I'm missing but I should have a lot of flexibility with the above.

Current SetUp:

Shire Beta 87A mic
Marantz Pro PMD 661 Solid State Recorder
Boss DR 880 Drum Machine
Gibson Les Paul Custom 68' series
Ibanez Koa Exotic Series Acoustic
Seagull Artist Series Acoustic
Fender CyberTwin Amp
TC Helicon VoiceLive Harmony
One Dead Asus G71G-Q with Ableton 8 Live (ps Asus...I hate you)

MinuNianda

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
Hey guys:

My name is Minu. I'm a guitarist who is new to the Apple world and want to start doing music production. I look forward to learning from you all!

olindacat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Greenwich
Hi folks:

I'm John and from Maui.

I have been doing a community golf show in Hawaii for several years and am pretty much a DIYer. I have managed to sneak by with little or no real technical audio know-how and am here to learn as much as I can, and to share my blunders and ask any idiotic thing I can to save others the embarrassment :eek:

I own seven Macs and am a designer/photographer/writer/publisher and am also doing videography and the sound that goes with it. I can assure everyone that reads this that I have been around the music and entertainment/advertising/broadcast industry my whole life and take the trade very seriously, but realize my limits and am here with hat in hand...

Aloha!

DJ Russell P

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Hello to everyone from Toronto!

Just picked up my first MacBook, used.
2.1ghz with 3gb ddr2.

Very excited as I have been a PC fan (Intel/AMD) for the last 20 years.
I am a DJ of 27 years+ and still adore my turntables. Now that I have mated my Technics 1200s with Serato, it was time for a serious change, hence the MacBook plunge.
I love it! Bit of a learning curve for me, but I am in it to win it. LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.