Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
So the first three episodes dropped today. Got to say I’m loving it. Loving the idea of a story being told from so many different angles. Enjoying Sam Neil’s retiring cop and the Japanese astronauts partner. Will probably watch the rest tonight.

Reactions: 2010mini

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I really wanted to love it, but I just thought it moved way too slow. The highlight is the JASA woman because that plot thread is where most of the action/exploration of what is happening is going on. But the other stories...just too much focus on their interpersonal lives and barely anything about how the alien invasion is affecting their life. And don't get me started on the kids on the bus. Christ, the bully kid is so evil it's comical. Like take it down a few notches, buddy. We get it, you're a bully.

I really wanted to like this show, but after binging the first three episodes (which felt like a 10 hour slog) I don't think I'll be tuning in for the rest of them.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
This show has my attention. I love slow burn plots, as it keeps the suspense going.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I’ve watched 2 episodes and I’m enjoying it so far. I like how it shows what’s happening in different parts of the world. There are a lot of negative views about the show on Twitter, mainly saying that nothing has happened, which I don’t understand because things are happening lol

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
So I’ve watched all three episodes and I love it. Really gripping tv. Loving the different strands and the story being told from different angles.

Reactions: Tagbert

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Watched first 2 episodes and will watch the 3rd tonight. I will continue watching it and see how it develops. First two episodes were mainly character development as so many series are now. So will wait and see how the rest continues. So far I think I will like it.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
watched two episodes, it has an unbelievable amount of drama, with stacks of drama on top of the drama.
is this about an alternate universe where there is no happiness ?

I am rooting for the aliens to destroy this bunch of drama population :/

Reactions: ericwn and SW3029

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Having my morning cup of coffee and read a review of Invasion by a reviewer who has seen the first 5 episodes. Unfortuantely they say the slow pace and lack of alien invasion continues through all five episodes they've seen.

I'm all for building character and slow burns, but this is such a slow burn you wouldn't know the show had to do with an ongoing alien invasion if you didn't know the show's title or seen the previews.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So far, Invasion has been more Cloverfield (minus handheld cameras) than Roland Emmerich's Independence Day. The series (at least the first 3 episodes) is about the conflicts and human dramas of 4 principle characters in the US, UK, Japan, and Afghanistan. Mysterious events accelerate and force these characters to deal with their problems head on.

The series works if you find these 4 characters interesting. I personally find it to be better done than typical alien invasion movies like aforementioned Independence Day and Cloverfield. But I think these scenes could've been more effective as a series of flashbacks.

At any rate, I like the series so far. It looks great and performances are very good, especially the boy that plays Caspar.

funinhounslow

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2017
Intrigued about the warning that this thread “may contain spoilers”

Three episodes in and so little has happened the main challenge is staying awake through it. Think I’ll cut my losses…

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Intrigued about the warning that this thread “may contain spoilers”

Three episodes in and so little has happened the main challenge is staying awake through it. Think I’ll cut my losses…
I’m over half way through episode 4 and literally nothing has happened. The plot has not moved forward at all - just a bunch of slow moving scenes of nothing happening. Almost the entire first half could be removed and no one would even know. Anything relevant to the plot could have/should have been about 5 minutes of screen time. This is pretty awful so far.

Last edited:

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Finished episode 4 and there was very little plot advancement. I think I’m quitting at least until it’s completed. Anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to be? I hope they’re not dragging this out for 10 episodes.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Finished episode 4 and there was very little plot advancement. I think I’m quitting at least until it’s completed. Anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to be? I hope they’re not dragging this out for 10 episodes.
If I were to venture a guess, the episode 7 "Sentient" sounds like some of the protagonists will run into aliens.
Whatever it is, invasion is definitely in full swing by the episode 9 titled "This Is an Emergency."

While the last episode was frustrating, especially the family subplot, I like the mystery element. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a cliched alien invasion series like War of the World or Independence Day.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I just hate that show so much. So much.

The mom is always having her mouth opened: she could eat a fly. Kids are useless, they just cry. The father is totally clueless and the affair is ridiculous.

The school kids on an excursion are pathetic, the guy with autism has only one expression unless he is having a seizure. Of course he has to have a seizure before the accident. And then the bully. Worst acting ever.

On top of that we have the American in Afghanistan. It’s like a woke bingo. I think the message here is “war is bad”. No ***** Sherlock.

And the best for the end: the Japanese lesbian. That’s double bingo on the woke agenda. Why does she has to talk to the father? Doesn’t bring anything to the story.

And the sherif? What happened, Sam Neill was on sale only for 3 episodes?

Where are the aliens? FFS WHERE ARE THE ALIENS?!

It’s like all Apple TV shows: there could be a great theme (like All Human Kind, Mythic Quest, The Morning Show) with a story supposedly but no, let’s talk about people drama, the most insignificant the better. Triple ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Reactions: Rockar82 and ericwn

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Not sure if I like this show yet. It's slow and nothing has really happened yet. I guess I'm waiting for the payoff to happen at some point.

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
I like how the show disses the Tesla. First it won’t start, then at the gas station they almost battle for the charger while people easily pumping gas 10 feet away. Having a Tesla is so bad that the mom has to steal a petrol vehicle from a couple, with their luggage and toothbrush!

Whatever u do, u DONT want to have a Tesla when aliens invade the earth.

• Haha
Reactions: DotCom2

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I like how the show disses the Tesla. First it won’t start, then at the gas station they almost battle for the charger while people easily pumping gas 10 feet away. Having a Tesla is so bad that the mom has to steal a petrol vehicle from a couple, with their luggage and toothbrush!

Whatever u do, u DONT want to have a Tesla when aliens invade the earth.
First, Tesla didn't start because the husband turned off Bluetooth on his iPhone, which acts as a key.

Second, it maybe easier to find gasoline at the beginning of disasters. But I suspect it will become increasingly harder to find gasoline whereas electricity can come from many different sources.

Reactions: Diskutant

maddogjack

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
Yeah. Way to slow, way to much bouncing around. I made it through 3 episodes hoping the pace would pick up and see the aliens...IMO to much emphasis, so far, on the character's background and problems, long conversations about stuff I don't need to watch.
I had high hopes for this, but it ain't for me

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah. Way to slow, way to much bouncing around. I made it through 3 episodes hoping the pace would pick up and see the aliens...IMO to much emphasis, so far, on the character's background and problems, long conversations about stuff I don't need to watch.
I had high hopes for this, but it ain't for me
If you leave your number, we will call you when the aliens show up. jk

• Haha
Reactions: CaptMarvel

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
First, Tesla didn't start because the husband turned off Bluetooth on his iPhone, which acts as a key.

Second, it maybe easier to find gasoline at the beginning of disasters. But I suspect it will become increasingly harder to find gasoline whereas electricity can come from many different sources.
Electricity, yes. The kind of high-voltage electricity with the specialized plug required to charge a Tesla quickly, a resounding no.

You also have to realize that it takes a long time to fully charge a Tesla on a standard 110v plug—roughly 4 days, in fact. In an apocalyptical scenario, you don't have time to linger at any given place for that long (you're wasting valuable food and resources) and what makes matter worse is you'll likely have to travel long distances, which a Tesla can't do as well as a combustion engine.

Gasoline is easily transportable and can be stored for a long time. This makes you highly mobile. You can also trade gasoline in a way that you can't with electricity. So, during an alien attack, bet on the Honda or Toyota, not Tesla.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
snip...

Gasoline is easily transportable and can be stored for a long time. This makes you highly mobile. You can also trade gasoline in a way that you can't with electricity. So, during an alien attack, bet on the Honda or Toyota, not Tesla.
Totally agree with you regarding gas vs. electricity in this type of crisis.

However if this was real life and we were under attack by aliens, we would not be able to fight back ... unless the aliens wanted us to for their amusement. Any alien conquerors that are able to perform interstellar travel would just wipe us out with whatever ray-gun type device they have on their ships. It wouldn't even be a contest.

Now, zombie apocalypses. Honda/Toyota over a Tesla all day long.

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
Totally agree with you regarding gas vs. electricity in this type of crisis.

However if this was real life and we were under attack by aliens, we would not be able to fight back ... unless the aliens wanted us to for their amusement. Any alien conquerors that are able to perform interstellar travel would just wipe us out with whatever ray-gun type device they have on their ships. It wouldn't even be a contest.

Now, zombie apocalypses. Honda/Toyota over a Tesla all day long.
Unless they are allergic to water. Saw that in a movie once.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
Unless they are allergic to water. Saw that in a movie once.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Aliens might have more advanced weaponry but their physiology might not allow them to roam the Earth without some type of protective barrier that isolates them from the atmosphere.

They might be able to breathe our air and water might actually be harmful to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.