Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
every week more and more people hate it, but im still here loving it (for the most part) Alright maybe i only really care about the JASA story line as its the most engaging. The military one is just the guy yelling at people and not understanding anything. The kids are annoying, but the JASA scenes, well they keep me in it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
every week more and more people hate it, but im still here loving it (for the most part) Alright maybe i only really care about the JASA story line as its the most engaging. The military one is just the guy yelling at people and not understanding anything. The kids are annoying, but the JASA scenes, well they keep me in it.
I found the Diner scene to be pretty good. Maybe not realistic, but the idea of an oasis in the middle of the End of the World works for me. And once again, the mom does all of the work while dad struggles to hand her the buns. ??‍♂️

Reactions: Tagbert

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
I found the Diner scene to be pretty good. Maybe not realistic, but the idea of an oasis in the middle of the End of the World works for me. And once again, the mom does all of the work while dad struggles to hand her the buns. ??‍♂️
yeah the dad needs to go. maybe she was trying to kill him with the triple patty burgers melting with cheese while his lung is punctured and a straw is the only thing keeping him alive.

Reactions: Pezimak and ftaok

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
JASA woman in Japan plot thread is the only interesting one. Feels like the only character with true agency in the show too.

But besides that plot thread, god this show is boring. The family with the cheating husband is the least interesting dynamic in any drama I've seen. And all the American soldier knows how to do is follow people around he can barely understand. Go US military power. If the dude were in WW2 he would have missed the Normandy invasion.

And besides the Japanese woman's thread, the rest of the show's "plot lines" (even though there is virtually no plot in them) are stretched so thin to cover a 10 episode arc, I'm reminded of bad 1980s soap operas where something that should have been told in half an episode takes months to play out.

I wish the JASA character well, but I don't think I can continue watching this show.

Reactions: ericwn

trhoffmann

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2019
Agree that the JASA arc is the only interesting one. I don’t care one whit for the family with the cheating husband, or for the soldier in the desert, or for the kids from the bus. I skipped through this last episode watching only the JASA parts. Not worth watching the entire episode only for the JASA crumbs though. I’ll pass on future episodes.

Reactions: Pezimak

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Show still sucks although I realized where I’ve seen the Japanese girl before.

IMG_1723.JPG

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I had to stop halfway through this episode. I can’t take any more of this nothing happening bullcrap This is possibly the worst show I’ve seen in years. It promised a lot and delivered nothing. There’s no story here. And where the actual frack is Sam Neill?

Last edited:
Reactions: Neonblue and ericwn

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I had to stop halfway through this episode. I can’t take any more of this nothing happening bullcrap This is possibly the worst show I’ve seen in years. It promised a lot and delivered nothing. There’s no story here. And where the actual frack is Sam Neill?
I thought he died on his retirement day when he went out to the crop circle.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The acting got worst from the kids, the writing definitetly got worst in the new episode, but as for the plot line, a hive mind?…. Seriously… they are going with that done to death ideology.. it’s like a poor attempt at ripping off Independence Day.
But I shall continue watching lol, agreed the JASA plot is the only interesting one of the series.

Actually yeah I think I’m still only watching for the JASA plot although the writing is so weak, it’ll probably conclude with her finding her girlfriend on the space station and then just end..

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I said I wouldn't, but I watched the latest episode. It was actually the best yet (but still not great). But it's what Episode 3 should have been - we should have been at this point in the story in the first three episodes. That being said, I'm still not entirely sure what is going on. JASA storyline is still the best plot thread (and the best-acted).

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I don’t think any of it has improved in the latest episode, but the JASA storyline is good. The wife who’s husband cheated on her was an extremely obvious plot line in the latest episode.. and I really find the US soldier storyline a total waste of time, he’s just too arrogant and foul mouthed I find.
The last 10 minutes of this weeks episode is good though, not sure about the kid ‘killing them all’ though. Still this is one slow burning show…

Last edited:

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
The show is dreadful. It’s slow, overly melodramatic, lacks tension and has weak plot-driven events which otherwise would make no sense.

The promise showcased in episode 1 just hasn’t delivered in the subsequent 7 outings.

The viewer isn’t invested to care for any of the characters. The show’s execution, editing, storytelling or whatever misses the mark completely.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
The show is really bad and has a majority of bad reviews. I still don’t understand what was the creative process to come up with such a failure. I am sure it will get canceled.

Reactions: cpnotebook80

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Just came here to comment that I did give it a chance and lost interest now coz boy! give us some action ! Like the kids acting like everything is normal and they go home regardless and the soldier guy pretending he his he- man and ugh hate his character.
Then the doctor lady kisses another doctor lol like come on and her husband like didn’t die?? and then throw Japanese language to make it more confusing.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
The show is really bad and has a majority of bad reviews. I still don’t understand what was the creative process to come up with such a failure. I am sure it will get canceled.
I like how roger ebert website loved it on their review. Wondering how much of the movie critic media are under these companies for positive reviews.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I like how roger ebert website loved it on their review. Wondering how much of the movie critic media are under these companies for positive reviews.
No need for any conspiracy theories. I like the show to an extent. There is potential in the story and it is pretty well done, but boy oh boy are they doubling down on slow burn. I think more people would like it if they were to run the storyline at FF. It’s taking way to long to get anywhere.

Reactions: Pezimak

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
while still a slow watch i did like the crossover of the kids and the navy seal guy. i didnt see it coming even though they both said they were in london. i wonder if all paths eventually cross?

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
while still a slow watch i did like the crossover of the kids and the navy seal guy. i didnt see it coming even though they both said they were in london. i wonder if all paths eventually cross?
I think that's the plan, if the show makes it long enough. I don't see it happening this season though. I was also glad to see those characters intersect, and hopefully there will be more movement forward in the story because of it.

Reactions: Sullivan0930

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I like this show. nothing wrong with a slow burn. JSA is a good story line, the navy seal guy should calm down some and the kids story was okay but you know your curious as to where that one kid's story is going. one thing though, Sam Neil has been knocked out for a long time lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Tagbert

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Watched Ep 9 today. Good-ish...but I honestly have no idea what's going on. Is the kid dead? Did they nuke the alien ship? Is the astronaut lady alive? Are all the aliens dead now?

what is going on

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello my name is Simon Kinberg and I have a great idea for a show.

So it’s about an invasion but instead of focusing on aliens let’s focus on people and their drama. So there is mom but she is also a doctor but also a mom. Oh and her husband is cheating on her, that’s bad. They have kids too but don’t worry they just cry or shout. We have also other people but we don’t care what’s important is their drama but don’t worry it’s all about lost mom and war is bad.

There are also other people but what’s important is their drama. So just remember their drama.

Ah shyte it’s already episode 9. So yeah they are indeed aliens but it’s okay we nuked them and a kid with seizure connected with them.

Thanks for watching. Oh forgot to mention we have Sam Neil too but all the budget when in the 3 minutes of showing aliens so we could only afford him for 10 minutes.

Again thanks for watching.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Also, it's not possible to "swim" in space, right? But at the beginning, the astronaut was doing a crawl and flutter kick through space like she was in an Olympic pool. Don't you need thrust to move towards an object in space? Because she just totally reversed course doing a crawl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.