Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hello my name is Simon Kinberg and I have a great idea for a show.

So it’s about an invasion but instead of focusing on aliens let’s focus on people and their drama. So there is mom but she is also a doctor but also a mom. Oh and her husband is cheating on her, that’s bad. They have kids too but don’t worry they just cry or shout. We have also other people but we don’t care what’s important is their drama but don’t worry it’s all about lost mom and war is bad.

There are also other people but what’s important is their drama. So just remember their drama.

Ah shyte it’s already episode 9. So yeah they are indeed aliens but it’s okay we nuked them and a kid with seizure connected with them.

Thanks for watching. Oh forgot to mention we have Sam Neil too but all the budget when in the 3 minutes of showing aliens so we could only afford him for 10 minutes.

Again thanks for watching.

And if someone happens to want an interview, tell them the show is really about connecting with one another during a crisis. That’ll open all doors for the pitch

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Eeek! The latest episode was ridiculous. I don't mind all the human dramas and slow pace. But this episode ramped up the pace only to take cliched shortcuts.

Some observations.

Aliens engaged biological warfare using spores that grow into spider-like creatures. Aneesha's kid found a dragon glass-like object used by the aliens to control these creatures. The transport scene was unnecessary and preposterous. A single van to transport the only thing that can save the humanity?

I suspect aliens are uploading human's minds into computer, such as Hinata and the sheriff (Sam Neill). Some of these minds hacked and sent aforementioned dragon glass back to earth. Stupid if true.

Caspar is essentially Neo (of The Matrix). I wouldn't mind this so much if earlier episodes more firmly established his sentient ability.

The actress playing Mitsuki is J-pop anime cute and all, but I liked her better as a smart engineer solving the mystery and figuring out how to fight back.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Aliens engaged biological warfare using spores that grow into spider-like creatures. Aneesha's kid found a dragon glass-like object used by the aliens to control these creatures...
Serious question...is this what's going on? After watching 9 episodes I had no idea spores were growing anywhere and I thought the aliens were the ball and spike creatures.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Serious question...is this what's going on? After watching 9 episodes I had no idea spores were growing anywhere and I thought the aliens were the ball and spike creatures.
Well, I am not sure, but those spiky things that grow into spider things were growing like mushroom in the forrest. And they appear to be have a hive mind that Caspar is mysteriously connected to.

And it would seem kinda stupid for aliens to also send the dragon glass-like thing that could kill them so easily.

Then again, Invasion doesn't exactly have the smartest of alien invasion storyline.

Reactions: SW3029

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
One of the Japanese JASA men mentioned the aliens are poisoning the atmosphere too....which is the first I'd heard of it in all 9 episodes.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
One of the Japanese JASA men mentioned the aliens are poisoning the atmosphere too....which is the first I'd heard of it in all 9 episodes.
Maybe that is related to the crystals that are growing on surfaces like in the woods the family runs through?

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Maybe that is related to the crystals that are growing on surfaces like in the woods the family runs through?
And that’s the problem with the show. The storytelling is so bad that even if you suspend disbelief you’re still asking a lot of questions. For example, if we consider Hinata’s space swim action to be a dream-like sequence, whose perspective is that? The astronaut (who understands the physics of space, or couldn’t imagine something more surreal like paddling a kayak!) or the aliens (why swimming action, did they see something in the uploaded videos)? Or is it an alternate universe/reality? It’s almost like that dream sequence is meant to fool the viewer but it doesn’t work.

Oh well, one more episode and season 1 is done.

Reactions: ericwn

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
And that’s the problem with the show. The storytelling is so bad that even if you suspend disbelief you’re still asking a lot of questions. For example, if we consider Hinata’s space swim action to be a dream-like sequence, whose perspective is that? The astronaut (who understands the physics of space, or couldn’t imagine something more surreal like paddling a kayak!) or the aliens (why swimming action, did they see something in the uploaded videos)? Or is it an alternate universe/reality? It’s almost like that dream sequence is meant to fool the viewer but it doesn’t work.

Oh well, one more episode and season 1 is done.
Exactly. Usually, it's good when the audience is asking "what does this mean?" in a show. It means the plot is interesting and is engaging their minds and makes them theorize. But Invasion is so poorly written that when viewers need to ask "what does this mean?" (space swim scene, what are the aliens, is there alien mushrooms growing everywhere) it's because they literally have no clue what the **** is going on.

Reactions: Pezimak and ericwn

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
When the doctor is messing around with the acid on the three spores in the isolator glove box, he says something about a total reduction of ammonia production coming from the spores. So it seems like that was the subtle mention that the aliens were releasing ammonia gas into the atmosphere and the metal shard would stop them from doing so, among other things.

Reactions: Tagbert

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Who knew you only need to shoot one tyre in a truck moving at 20 mph to make it overturn..
Still more action in this one and the overall storyline was actually better for once.

EDIT, just finished watching the latest one, hmm not sure the the he'll they are trying to do with it? Arty slow now to David Bowie? Really? And what they blow the real / fake Japanese astronaut up and all the aliens die?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SW3029

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Don't worry though the magic poky stick and acid will kill them all.... reminds me of SIGNS when they discovered the aliens were allergic to......water...... yeah great classic writing right there!

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Oh it's alright I just checked, we have one more episode to go to confuse us all even more...
I gotta also say the fire effect if the burning alien in episode 8 was sooo cheap and nasty, I could do that on my Mac! Seemed a waste as the aliens themselves were pretty well done.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Insane!! Just for the fun of it, I’ll watch it to see how super bad it can be. I can’t believe they renewed it, there must be an audience for this show, that’s impressive. I was certain it would get canceled

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
So what did you think about this last episode?

I’m just speechless. There is literally 50 minutes of nothingness and then 2 minutes of …a ship. Yup, what a great way to conclude such an horrific show.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well I don't usually celebrate when one of the main characters at least seems to die by yaayyyy it started good this episode. I thought well it's a start now for the rest of the cast, bar the Japanese ones.
Of course the plot line was as obvious as ever for this show.

I can't believe they've renewed it??? Why?? They seriously need to rewrite the whole show for a second season to succeed. Even the critics think it's rubbish.

Someone really needs to tell Apple how you make an alien invasion film, starting with having aliens in it is a good start. And mythical magic sticks which kill the aliens that they make no effort to explain is pretty bad too.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I take it they were sucking all the water up at the end?? And reversing the poles?

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
The writing, the acting….so bad - I really can’t watch the American solider for one more second.

Invasion is hands down the worst tv series I have ever seen in my life. The ‘finale’ was a complete let down.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
OK, after watching all 10 episodes...

The good:

• The JASA lady storyline and the actress who plays her. She's the only one who doesn't seem like she's acting. You believe she is really devastated by the death of her girlfriend and someone in that situation really could probably not give a **** less that the world is being invaded by aliens. The JASA storyline was really the only one driving the plot forward and I thought even all the bit players in that storyline did a good job.
  • The intro credits. No joke, the imagery accompanying the opening credits is really good/spooky.

The bad:

• I understand the aim of the show is to tell personal stories amidst an alien invasion. Nothing wrong with that (JASA girl storyline pulls this off well while still keeping us engaged with the larger invasion). But the other storylines seemed just too generic/manufactured to pull this off realistically.
  • Missing background action was also a big problem in this show. Often there wasn't enough background action to make it feel like an alien invasion was actually happening. It's fine if the show doesn't want to focus on the pow-bang alien invasion action, but because we got so few glimpses that there was a worldwide alien invasion, it simply didn't feel like the earth was under attack. Even the scenes where you see the US military housing civilians (where the doctor lady and her family went) felt so small-scale, like it was a pretend US army a student filmmaker uses by dressing his friends up in camo gear. This lack of background action also made the celebration scenes in Ep 10 feel so hollow – people were out celebrating on the streets but it just didn't feel real. It felt like you were watching a stage play (kicking one dead alien corpse? This was supposedly a WORLDWIDE massive invasion).
  • Along with missing background action, the show was missing expositional context. No one ever ran into someone who gave us enough important expository updates on battles in the rest of the world or what countries were holding up well, or where the invasion was concentrated, or if there were literal alien ships zooming around the skies. Hell, even if the show would have relied on the trope of background news reports on TV screens giving updates on the alien invasion it would have helped provide that expositional context the show sorrily needed.
  • You feel the writers/producers are really confident in the show because they know what's really going on, but they don't give us enough information that hints at what's really going on, so we're not left intrigued, but confused as hell. An example of how poorly this works out for the audience is one of the final scenes in Ep 10 when the dead boy has a dream/is in the afterlife (???) and sees the JASA lady's girlfriend's father with the compass. So is there some connection there between the two? Yet because the writers seem like they are almost afraid to reveal just a little more spread throughout the series about what they know about the whole story, we're left feeling baffled instead of captivated.

But that's just my take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.