Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So what did you think about this last episode?

I’m just speechless. There is literally 50 minutes of nothingness and then 2 minutes of …a ship. Yup, what a great way to conclude such an horrific show.
I can honestly say that this show sucked. Watched all 10 episodes and nothing really happened. Then it turns out that the win wasn’t even a win because the threat that was stopped using Jedi magic wasn’t even the real threat.

I watch the whole season of Mr Corman and I had no idea what was going on, but I know that the show didn’t suck. The one, Invasion, I don’t know what is really going on, but I know the show sucked.

Even so, the imagery was kinda cool and the idea is really good, so I’ll probably watch season 2. Can’t believe I said that.

Reactions: Pezimak

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
You feel the writers/producers are really confident in the show because they know what's really going on, but they don't give us enough information that hints at what's really going on, so we're not left intrigued, but confused as hell.
Yep, the writers know where they’re heading (over multiple seasons), but the breadcrumb trail left for the viewer is not well thought out (nor satisfying). Those 10 episodes could have been condensed into 2 or 3. There just isn’t enough material there (too many slow scenes where nothing or very little happens).

I’m interested in the outcome but it’s just a slog. I’ll probably just binge watch season 2 (with maybe the occasional finger on the FF button) ?‍♂️

Reactions: Tagbert

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Just binge watched the series. I hadn’t previously read this thread as I wanted to avoid spoilers. In hindsight I now wish that I had, to realise the series was not going to get any better. Some interesting view points at the start, but shockingly bad and confusing storyline and ending. I think I’ll be avoiding series 2.

maddogjack

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
I have watched thru 4 episodes, this is just not my type of show. Went in with great expectations...but they were dashed. Thought about skipping to the last episode but will not. Rethinking my subscription to Apple TV as I was waiting for this and Foundation and am disappointed in both

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have watched thru 4 episodes, this is just not my type of show. Went in with great expectations...but they were dashed. Thought about skipping to the last episode but will not. Rethinking my subscription to Apple TV as I was waiting for this and Foundation and am disappointed in both
while everyone’s taste is different (except I think everyone that Invasion was crap), there are some good shows on AppleTV.

Here’s my list of favs (no particular order)

1. For All Mankind (2 seasons)
2. Home Before Dark (2 seasons)
3. Ted Lasso (2 seasons)
4. Mythic Quest (2 seasons)
5. Tehran (1 season)
6. Acapulco (1 season)

I did like Physical, but maybe it’s not for everybody. Also, I had let my subscription lapse before I watched Dickinson, but I had downloaded a few episodes and was able to watch the first two. I think it’s well done and worth a binge (based on the two eps that I watched).

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I read some of the early comments and it put me off watching Invasion, but yesterday i decided to finally watch it and i'm glad because i loved it! :D

But some comments:

The sci-fi realism was pretty good throughout though soldier guy finding a working phone box in London, that was really stretching it!

Where did all the people go in London? Where they all hiding in basements?

BTW there was a comment earlier about the school bully being unbelievable, i dunno about that - i went to an English comprehensive and the bully was very believable to me :p

I enjoyed the approach of exploring such a mega event though the lives of normal people, who mostly don't have a clue whats going on though maybe the show took it a little too far and we could have done with a little more exposition.

Anyway great series, look forward to S2...

Rockar82

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Scotland
I’ve just finished the series and I truly wished I had never started it. It’s been one of Apple’s first failings for me on the TV+ side. It was truly awful, and to the tune of $200m allegedly. If your paying that and this is the end product then I don’t fancy their chances coming up against the competition who I may add have put out equally bad or worse series/films to. I was really looking forward to this I seen what Apple done with For All Mankind and thought that was great so this should be great..wrong. Now let me just add I wasn’t expecting a Michael Bay (blow everything up) extravaganza or an Independence Day (world coming to an end) style series, that gets boring. If you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. I think it’s been renewed for a second season, god knows why if the first seasons anything to go by. Maybe in the second season we’ll return to those kids that stayed behind in the truck full of sweets to see how they’re getting on considering the ones who left them didn’t seem to bother about them. Who knows.

Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I totally agreed with you. But what the most baffling thing is it seems the show found it’s audience. I’m very surprised and a bit shock because clearly this is by far the worst I’ve ever seen.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I totally agreed with you. But what the most baffling thing is it seems the show found it’s audience. I’m very surprised and a bit shock because clearly this is by far the worst I’ve ever seen.
I kept watching as there were interesting ideas in there but the overall pace was so glacial that it became a slog. They could have wrapped it up in half the episodes if they reedited it. Get rid of some of the repetitive character reactions. That would have made it a better watch.

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I finally watched this. It was slow... very slow and I agree with what everyone said about there being a lack of storytelling about what the aliens were doing, how they worked, etc, but I think it was deliberately vague because the timeframe the show covered is only about a week.

I feel like Season 2 could be very good. The pace has to pick up with that big spaceship decending.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Is there anyone honestly believe this is a good show? I know there're always contrarians but this is unbelievably bad.
The script is bad.
The directing is bad.
The actings are bad.
Even cinematography is bad.

The concept is still good but Apple should fire every writers & directors involved and starts season 2 from scratches. Hire competent show making. especially who's competent in this genre.
If anyone want an example of how bad this show is, just watch Episode 6. Man, not only it doesn't make any sense. You can barely see anything! It's like it's shot, directed, and edited by people who can see in infrared light lol.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I loved the concept, but the writers went off the rails. Scratch that… the writers didn’t even get on the rails.

maddogjack

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
To each their own, one man's drink is another's poison. I thought it was bad but a friend liked it a lot. It got a season 2 order so someone somewhere must see what I don't... value

• Haha
Reactions: AL2TEACH

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I don't think its a great show but i didn't think it was as bad as some make out, certainly will watch S2.

I‘l watch season 2 not least so I can complain about it on here lol. But honestly I’ll watch it to see if it improves. Has a second season even been green lit yet?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Watched it to the end, I think the acting was good. But the storyline seemed more last minute with each episode.

They should have kept the focus on retiring sheriff and the women cop. Make it more a slow burn.

The Indian family had way to much internal issues for my taste. Like seriously, with an Alien invasion, that stuff can wait.

The Japanese women was more concerned about her lesbian love life than ALIENS!!! Just stop!!!!

Where was the Marine guy’s kids when he got home???? 😩

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Watched it to the end, I think the acting was good. But the storyline seemed more last minute with each episode.

They should have kept the focus on retiring sheriff and the women cop. Make it more a slow burn.

The Indian family had way to much internal issues for my taste. Like seriously, with an Alien invasion, that stuff can wait.

The Japanese women was more concerned about her lesbian love life than ALIENS!!! Just stop!!!!

Where was the Marine guy’s kids when he got home???? 😩
“Make it more a slow burn.”

Really? It was already one one the slowest paced shows.

Reactions: SW3029

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
“Make it more a slow burn.”

Really? It was already one one the slowest paced shows.

Maybe if you were expecting an action packed Man vs Alien mega battle.

But the story line itself was a fast paced cluster #!%@.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Stepping in to pull for the other side in this thread. Like others, I went in expecting a War of the Worlds type TV show, full of action and fighting the aliens but once I stopped expecting that, I saw the brilliance of this show.

This is far more likely how an alien invasion would go. Any species not evolved on this planet will be completely bizarre and unfamiliar to us – including how they'd go about taking over our planet. They wouldn't show up in ships pew pewing all over, killing us all until the last of us is gone. They'd exterminate us with bio technology that they could drop in ahead of their arrival and have them clean up by the time they get here.

Typical alien invasion stories assume that they'd engage in warfare like humanity has done when conquering foreign lands. They're not human and they're by the very nature of their being here, far more advanced than us.

This show is daring to think differently and take into account how bizarre an alien species would seem to us, at the cost of resisting easy popcorn entertainment. I believe that this show is going to develop over several seasons and the first act, was the extermination attempt. We haven't even seen the aliens, just the bio technology sent to eliminate us. The second act will have the aliens themselves arriving, unprepared for a planet with surviving humans, having to fight us head on – again, avoiding the conventional expectation of kinetic or heat weapons. They'll use mind control, other biological weapons or something we haven't even conceptionalized.

I look forward to a story about an alien invasion that makes us think and doesn't take the lazy way out.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Stepping in to pull for the other side in this thread. Like others, I went in expecting a War of the Worlds type TV show, full of action and fighting the aliens but once I stopped expecting that, I saw the brilliance of this show.

This is far more likely how an alien invasion would go. Any species not evolved on this planet will be completely bizarre and unfamiliar to us – including how they'd go about taking over our planet. They wouldn't show up in ships pew pewing all over, killing us all until the last of us is gone. They'd exterminate us with bio technology that they could drop in ahead of their arrival and have them clean up by the time they get here.

Typical alien invasion stories assume that they'd engage in warfare like humanity has done when conquering foreign lands. They're not human and they're by the very nature of their being here, far more advanced than us.

This show is daring to think differently and take into account how bizarre an alien species would seem to us, at the cost of resisting easy popcorn entertainment. I believe that this show is going to develop over several seasons and the first act, was the extermination attempt. We haven't even seen the aliens, just the bio technology sent to eliminate us. The second act will have the aliens themselves arriving, unprepared for a planet with surviving humans, having to fight us head on – again, avoiding the conventional expectation of kinetic or heat weapons. They'll use mind control, other biological weapons or something we haven't even conceptionalized.

I look forward to a story about an alien invasion that makes us think and doesn't take the lazy way out.
I agree and enjoyed that aspect of it and was not expecting an action show. I also still think that it moved a little too slow and took too much time to move the story along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.