Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Unless they are allergic to water. Saw that in a movie once.
Was this that Mel Gibson / M. Night Shyamalan movie?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Aliens might have more advanced weaponry but their physiology might not allow them to roam the Earth without some type of protective barrier that isolates them from the atmosphere.

They might be able to breathe our air and water might actually be harmful to them.

My thought is that they would just wipe us out from the comfort of their starship. They wouldn't even have to come down to the surface to attack us.

However, if they were to want to come down to the surface, I'm sure they would be able to figure out if our atmosphere and conditions would be suitable. If not, they could put on some sort of suit to protect themselves. There's no way we can beat any species that can travel from another star system. Data famously makes this point in S03E02 of ST-TNG.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Watched all 4 episodes, medium score at best 5/5, agree with IMDB on which it gets middle scores. It's a bit woke, but mostly pretty non sensical, and the reactions they have to situations totally unrealistic. But hey at least they shot at the UFO first then claimed it attacked them later..

I'll keep watching but so far it's a bit meh, it was hyped up soooo much too. I prefer Foundation though as a SciFy so far. Also the pace of the first episode is awfully slow... and still is in some ways in episode 4, for instance when the bully pushes over that other kid Casper I think, he takes what feels like an hour or two to get back up.. I literally said get up in your own time mate no need to rush..

Sigh, when's the next season of For All Mankind?..

Oh and that bus, over that cliff, and yet none of them die till one dies the next day.. indeed bar the one who dies theirs barely a scratch on any of them? yeah right.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBGoode

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Watched all 4 episodes, medium score at best 5/5, agree with IMDB on which it gets middle scores. It's a bit woke, but mostly pretty non sensical, and the reactions they have to situations totally unrealistic. But hey at least they shot at the UFO first then claimed it attacked them later..
The problem with Invasion is that 90-95% of what we have seen so far are just human dramas. Surely by now there should be something more.

Anyway, the next and 5th episode "Going Home" sounds like something will finally happen. The synopsis indicates "The president of the United States gives an urgent global address in an attempt to prepare the world for what lies ahead."

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The problem with Invasion is that 90-95% of what we have seen so far are just human dramas. Surely by now there should be something more.

Anyway, the next and 5th episode "Going Home" sounds like something will finally happen. The synopsis indicates "The president of the United States gives an urgent global address in an attempt to prepare the world for what lies ahead."

Totally agree, will be interesting to see if they do anything new, but so far I don't have much hope..

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Finished #5 and nothing happened until the end and that was finally acknowledgment by the POTUS that there are aliens. The plot has still barely moved forward and the first five episodes should have been condensed into the opening episode and ended in the president’s announcement. The pace and editing of this show is atrocious.

Writer: hey I have a great idea for a 2 hour alien invasion movie.

Apple: perfect, make it a 10 episode series with an option for more seasons and we have a deal!

Writer: uhhhh…okay?

Last edited:
Reactions: ftaok

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
the plot is SOOOOOO slow... hopefully thing turns out to be worth watching in the end. Things just keep dragging on and on without getting anywhere

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I am not normally into SciFi. I have watched For All Mankind and am currently watching Foundation and Invasion and I am enjoying them both. I have already read reviews on this show trashing it for not going with an alien-on-screen focus during season one and I have absolutely no problem with that. I hope it gets renewed for season two and goes more that direction to grab more casual viewers though. I am definitely excited to see where this story goes.

Reactions: lysingur

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I find it very odd that the doctor willingly went with the military without telling her family and never once asked them what the hell was going on. That would literally be the first question out of any normal human being's mouth.

Bad writing? I think so.

(and if she did ask, please let me know. It's possible I dozed off waiting for something to happen)

Last edited:

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I find it very odd that the doctor willingly went with the military without telling her family and never once asked them what the hell was going on. That would literally be the first question out of any normal human being's mouth.

Bad writing? I think so.

(and if she did ask, please let me know. It's possible I dozed off waiting for something to happen)
You didn't dose off. She left for supplies and could find none. The military people told her the supplies in the next town over were plentiful for people like her ( medics ) and that they could really use her help. They said she just needed to ask to get a ride back to her car. I don't think she went with the intent on just staying there for forever with them and leave her family behind. I think she went to help and get supplies and after seeing what's going on first hand, including what she pulled out of that guys leg, she's completely overwhelmed right now.

I can't tell if she is going to go back to the kids anytime soon or not.

Reactions: mrsmith1

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

Bad writing? I think so.

Willingly helping the military makes sense -- she was on a mission to get the food and supplies, and this is one way to get them. She should've left a note on the car to let the family know, however.

As for the question (Aneesha probing for more information), I suspect the conversation happened off camera and it went something like "ma'm, we don't know either."

What bugged me is how no one bothered to investigate a foreign object jabbed inside the patient's stomach.

maihan

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
There is a monster in a house and of course some scared kids . How often have we seen the same images before...stop recycling old ideas and come up with something new

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Wow. The first episode where something remotely interesting happens and it’s all taking place in the dark and we can barely see it. What a complete fail this is.

Director: Have you seen A Quiet Place?
Actors: Yeah
Director: Well just pretend you’re in that movie and tiptoe around and whisper a lot, maybe an occasional scream and we’re good.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Wow. The first episode where something remotely interesting happens and it’s all taking place in the dark and we can barely see it. What a complete fail this is.

Director: Have you seen A Quiet Place?
Actors: Yeah
Director: Well just pretend you’re in that movie and tiptoe around and whisper a lot, maybe an occasional scream and we’re good.
You are absolutely right, but I still found the episode to be quite fun, cliches and all. This series is more in the vein of M. Night Shyamalan's Signs. Atmospheric but ultimately cheesy. I am still eager to find out just what exactly is going on and how all the pieces fit, while tapering my expectations for underwhelming reveals.

Reactions: Tagbert

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Ok so I’ve watched all of them so far, and I’ve concluded it’s getting more stupid by the minute.

Episode six desperately trying the less is more approach, and as they lack the skill nor ability to pull that off, it’s a case of less is mean annoying and stupid.
The director must have told them, ‘you need to whisper and be really really quiet and then we will build up to the noise, which the actors seem to have taken to mean WE WILL TALK AT THE TIP OF OUT VOICES THEN!

And then they just happen to have a lump of alien metal in the car they happen to get in… you’ll see what I mean if you watch it.

They seriously need to try much much much harder and for the love of God STOP with the patronising patriotism one liners, tonight it was:

‘he’s going to find out we have the best military in the world’!

I think we’ve concluded military means jack in this program as it would do against an alien race that’s travelled across space to invade e lines serve nothing more then to make you hate the characters even more.

Why am I still watching this show?? I think I’m hoping they get better, please??

And I agree with everyone else, where is the originality? I’ve fallen through the ceiling.. all we think is how long till the inevitable I’m being pulled down by the alien, moment..

The car reversing hard and hitting something.. we all think bet you’re now stuck and can’t move on what a surprise you are….

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
What kind of alien is it? She kills it by stabbing it a few times? But bullets don’t harm it?
I’m going to finish out this season and probably stop.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
What kind of alien is it? She kills it by stabbing it a few times? But bullets don’t harm it?
The metal seems to be associated with the aliens. when the first person who saw the meteorite in the desert came to the crater, he picked up something like it.

I thought there was a scene where the son picked up that piece in the woods. when the old man found the son, he probably drove home and the piece was left in the car.

Something about that metal seems to be able to poison or otherwise disrupt the aliens when bullets and pillows don't.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I guess it's an alien dragon glass?

I think there are 2 alien races. The first race is invading the earth. The second race was once victims themselves but figured out how to fight back and won. They sent "wajo" coded transmission and aforementioned materials that when combined, can be used to fight back. The second race might be the same alien race, but a faction against the invasion.

Either way, Invasion is a dumb series, but I came this far and despite all the cheesiness, I am finding the series to be entertaining enough to finish it out.

Reactions: ericwn and Tagbert

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
So I really really hate that show and it got so many bad reviews.

But beyond that I’m very puzzled and I am trying to understand how they produced this show. I’d love to have some insights on the “creative” (sic) process. Did they screen to a focus group, before?

Would there be an audience genuinely interested by such family drama?

What about the actors? Did they have any experience before shooting?

How can a show so badly made can find its audience?

Did they already made the decision to cancel it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.