Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I really enjoyed the fact it showed a planetary invasion (largely) from the point of view of normal people who don't really know whats going on.
I was disappointed in the show mainly because of the pacing and the lack of any resolution regarding the characters.

The entire main plot of first episode was unnecessary. OK, Sam Neill signed up for one episode ... WTF?!?!?

The Indian-American kid didn't get a bloody nose and was somehow connected to the aliens ... no explanation.

The British kid was able to get mentally connected to the aliens and killed them in the end ... or was it ...

The nuke that the Japanese science/military team shot up there?

What happened to the Japanese astronaut?

The promise of the show was that it was going to be mysterious and suspenseful. There was no suspense, and by the time some of the mysteries were unfolding, I no longer cared about any of the characters.

I have no idea how this got extended for a season 2.

Reactions: 211 and ericwn

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
The kids on the crashed bus subplot was so boring/annoying I almost quit watching right there. Unfortunately the show did not improve much beyond that

Reactions: 211 and madrich

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I was disappointed in the show mainly because of the pacing and the lack of any resolution regarding the characters.
Yes the execution was flawed though the initial premise is very good. Maybe one day someone can do a remake and get it right!

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
There are already some reviews of season 2, but most of them are positive, except this one:

I find it honestly accurate, I still don’t understand they spend so much screen time on pointless family drama.

I’ll try the second season but the first one was one of the worst show I’ve ever seen and I’m still puzzled, a year later how they green lit a second one.

I guess it met its audience, apparently the show is popular?

Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
There are already some reviews of season 2, but most of them are positive, except this one:

I find it honestly accurate, I still don’t understand they spend so much screen time on pointless family drama.

I’ll try the second season but the first one was one of the worst show I’ve ever seen and I’m still puzzled, a year later how they green lit a second one.

Evidently the family drama angle is more popular than story or action.

Similar to "La Brea" in that regard. A bunch of sparsely written characters spending most of their time on interpersonal drama while walking through a landscape of hard to believe techno babble.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I watched the 1st 20 minutes of the new season and to be honest I’m pleasantly surprised by the beginning.

First the summary of season 1: this is the whole season without all the stupid family drama! They should have just released it in place of the whole season 1!

Then, we have some action in Osaka and we meet a new character who has a god complex. Of course, if you want originality, forget about it.

And then the moment I was the most frightened about: that’s stupid single mom with her stupid kids. It didn’t disappoint: I just want them to die in horrible pain and the actress should go back to acting school.

I stopped at 20 minutes and I’ll try to watch the remaining tomorrow.

Finally, the design of the aliens, very bad & ridiculous. There are plenty of alien movies and it’s basic nature to show bigger species = danger.

Reactions: JamesHolden

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022

I don't think anything on Apple TV+ is "popular" relative to other streaming services. I guess Invasion was popular enough within the tiny Apple TV+ bubble to merit a second season. Or Apple signed a multi-season contract before the garbage first season was delivered.

I thought the languid turd of a first season was one of the worst television shows I've endured. Terrible writing, dull and boring characters, that insanely annoying, constantly crying little girl...it was awful.

I gave in last night and watched the first episode of season 2. Wow. What crap!! The writing is even worse. I had hopes that the annoying little girl wouldn't be quite so annoying this season after the gas station scene, but then she started fake crying again and that delusion was shattered. Aneesha's character is also stupid and completely not believable.

But let's get to the exceptionally stupid stuff. In the beginning of the episode, we see a "Day 121" flash on the screen. Four months since the invasion... and there's a world government??? There's an organized militia called the Movement? The leader of the Movement refers to the time before the invasion as the "before times". I mean, seriously??? Four months later???

Now let's go to the alien ship and the mysterious room with the...whatever it is. Only five people have entered this room and they've all suffered severe memory loss...so who the heck built the damn room??? If this ship is so dangerous, how did the generic tech billionaire stereotype character construct this entire operation...in four months??? And what is it about the glass walls of this room inside the ship that shield everyone else from the whatever's memory destroying effects? Mitsuki standing there with her wide, doe eyes and porcelain skin as the whatever pulsed and changed shape was the icing on the cake.

This show is utter crap.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I totally agree with everything, so many inconsistencies and a lack of respect for the audience.

I just don’t understand how the creative process worked, here. I really would love to contact the show runners because I’m sure they have their own reasons for this result. The show has a decent budget as several locations are used (I doubt it for Osaka, it seemed “reproduced”) but behind that and all that was mentioned earlier, it just doesn’t make sense.

Of course I can just not watch but I really would like to understand the choices. I’ll check if we have cast or production ITWs.

Reactions: 211 and JamesHolden

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Just checking in to see if this has improved. I guess not. Thanks for saving me a some time. :)

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
So far I have enjoyed season 2. Season 1 was a little slow developing the story lines for the characters, but things are mowing along quicker in season 2.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
Ok started S2, i thought the alien bug things were virtually indestructible, yet we see them being wiped out by a few petrol bombs?

LambdaTheImpossible

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2023
Three problems with it:

1. Slow as hell.
2. So dark. I can't even watch it on my 14" MBP and see what is going on with the crazy micro-LED contrast.
3. Clearly hired some school children to write it due to the writers strike.

• Haha
Reactions: MacManiac76

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I have to admit, S02 is better but S01 was so bad they could only improve.

We still have horrible and despicable characters, they have charisma of an oyster. It took them the whole season to figure out there is something worth checking in the mother ship (it’s in the name *****-ass) before 80% of screen time on “let’s go on an adventure through UK & France to find Caspar”. Don’t get me started on the love triangle with the kids. SCREAM OF AGONY.

I’m not a violent person but I’m ready to track down & threaten the producer of this *****-show.

• Haha
Reactions: JamesHolden

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I liked the kids on the whole, it was the American survivalists and the annoying mother who needed cutting from the story.

I enjoy the series anyway, even if it could do with a good edit.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
On the whole, the second season of Invasion is an improvement over the first. It's more action filled and things are finally starting to happen, although still at a snail pace.

Aside from the cringe writing, the main problem with the series is orchestrating and bringing so many unlikable characters into a single space. The fact that they are so unlikable makes them a bit relatable, but I wish there was at least one character I can sympathize with. So far, the only character I care about is Monty, a former-bully kid from UK. But he isn't given enough to do. The performance as a whole is excellent though, especially the kids.

Anyway, the whole premise and execution so far are too forced for my taste. But as much as I dislike so many things about the series, I can't help but tune into it week after week. Maybe I am naturally drawn to the genre as a whole, or maybe I like yelling at unlikable people doing stupid things.

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
On the whole, the second season of Invasion is an improvement over the first. It's more action filled and things are finally starting to happen, although still at a snail pace.
I would have to agree with that, although it's still a shockingly bad show. At least we weren't subjected to horrible crying girl every episode. A bad child actor can totally ruin a show.

Aside from the cringe writing, the main problem with the series is orchestrating and bringing so many unlikable characters into a single space.
I think writing is the main problem. I love sci-fi and I'm always willing to suspend my disbelief to a point, but good sci-fi creates a believable framework in which it operates. Invasion just throws trope after trope at the wall and doesn't care if anything connects.

It's completely unbelievable that the entire world has a unity government after 4 months. The Movement makes no sense. What are they even doing and why? Are we really supposed to buy that an organized militia has formed in four months? I mean, maybe...but it's completely insane to think that a complex research facility has been built in the Amazon in that amount of time...and that they've somehow captured an entity that scrambles one's brain...but somehow a flimsy space suit protects our doe-eyed heroine. Lol. It's a joke.

The fact that they are so unlikable makes them a bit relatable, but I wish there was at least one character I can sympathize with. So far, the only character I care about is Monty, a former-bully kid from UK. But he isn't given enough to do. The performance as a whole is excellent though, especially the kids.
I agree with you about Monty. He's a good actor and he's making the most of this horrible show. Penny is great too. I thought she would start to annoy me, but she brings a real warmth to the show and she's quite endearing. Caspar is horrible, though.

Anyway, the whole premise and execution so far are too forced for my taste. But as much as I dislike so many things about the series, I can't help but tune into it week after week. Maybe I am naturally drawn to the genre as a whole, or maybe I like yelling at unlikable people doing stupid things.
Lol. I feel the same! I'm a genre fan and it's just barely watchable. I would not have continued with season 2 if crying girl hadn't disappeared from the show, though.

Did you watch War of the Worlds on Epix? In WoW, the aliens use robotic dog-like killers to purge the human population and multiple storylines around the world converge and overlap. In WoW, certain kids have an unknown connection to the alien invaders and an ability to control the robotic killers.

One of them definitely ripped off the other. Given that War of the Worlds was released first and is a much more thoughtful and well constructed show, my money is on Invasion being the rip off. If you haven't seen War of the Worlds, it's worth subscribing to Epix for a month. It's thoughtful slow-burn sci-fi.

Reactions: nutmac and Tagbert

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
I just binge-watched the whole of season 2 in a few days (well, after the slow burn of season 1 I wasn’t waiting for weekly installments). It’s still bad. Visuals are amazing but the writing is atrocious. So many non-sensical plot-driven actions/events. So much of what transpired was very predictable and with zero (yes ZERO) tension. Not to mention, important story-telling events were left unexplained (e.g. the alien physiology switcheroo).

The French trip has to be one of the most clumsiest executions I’ve seen in a TV series. Mind you I kept watching the episodes because, although I had already checked out, I wanted to see where the train wreck would end (… it’s still in progress). The show doesn’t know whether to focus on human connections or the sci-fi aspect. In conflating the two, it creates an illogical/inauthentic mess.

I can see Apple green-lighting a third season, but seriously, it should be canceled.

• Angry
Reactions: Gator5000e

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Why should it be cancelled? Just because you don't like the series, which you have every right not to like the series, I happen to enjoy it and hope it gets a chance to finish out the story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.