Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
UK
what would everyone like to see in iOS 10?

For me iOS ticks basically every box now except...

1)
The ability to see list of saved wifi networks, their passwords and change the order.
2)
One more type of app extension which allows in-line translation of emails, messages and websites (could have privacy concerns).

Be interesting to hear what everybody else thinks now. Are you satisfied with iOS9 ? If you think it needs more features, what are they?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
what would everyone like to see in iOS 10?

For me iOS ticks basically every box now except...

1)
The ability to see list of saved wifi networks, their passwords and change the order.
2)
One more type of app extension which allows in-line translation of emails, messages and websites (could have privacy concerns).

Be interesting to hear what everybody else thinks now. Are you satisfied with iOS9 ? If you think it needs more features, what are they?
on the iPhone it's ok, but on the iPad it's still a mess if you want to use the big screen for productivity...
1) file management is a disaster. It's integrated into iCloud Drive, but then you can't access Photos from there. Also iCloud Drive is used for cloud functionality and local functionality, but what about the 5gb limit? What happens when you go over it? Will local file management between apps still work? I don't know, I pay to have 50gb, but this is very confusing, as most things with iCloud drive.
2) iCloud drive still isn't integrated in every app (dropbox is).
3)iCloud drive app is horrible...and not even a progress bar when uploading a file!
4) when a file enters iBooks it is stuck there, even if it is DRM-free.
5) same with Music. Why? What's the point in buying (and paying more) drm-free stuff?
6) No drag and drop in split view
7) no RAW support for Photos
8) no usb support. We have a usb adapter but it only works to import pictures. Why can't a colleague pass me a pdf file with a USB key? You have some sort of functionality but it passes through iTunes...in 2015. Well...as long as it works well..except it doesn't!
"Hey buddy pass me this file."
"But internet is slow here and the file is 4 GB"
"Don't worry, you sure have iTunes installed on you pc, don't you?"
"errr...let me check...YES!! YES!! I do"
"Great, let's do it"
Weird sound
Error message: "You can't access this iPad, because iTunes is version 12.2. You need 12.3 to access iOS9 devices."
"...****"

9) not optimized, sometimes I get lag on an iPad Air 2. We've reached a point where devices are supposed to be slowed down by very complex apps, not by the spotlight animation. Meh
10) Said apps don't exist because the app store model, as it is, doesn't work well on the iPad.
11) There's a rule that says: no uncompiled code. This rule limits the functionality of the iPad because it limits the apps available. That is the reason, for example, why xCode can't be ported to iOS. It's also the reason why I need a Mac to analyze data in my lab: statistical programs like R can't run on iOS, because of the same rule.
12) Safari needs a downloader

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Also I would like to add:
1) Steve jobs used to say that touch screens are not great for laptops. Trackpads are better. And I agree. Why then, an iPad Pro can't be used with a trackpad? Why didn't apple integrate it in the (almost) 200 dollars keyboard they sell, like Microsoft did with the surface? selecting text on a vertical touch screen while doing office work is uncomfortable and unproductive.
2) Why, Why, Why, redirected phone calls must disrupt the user workflow, taking over all the screen without the user being able to dismiss them, except by sending to voicemail. Even the home button won't work in this situation, until the call is dismissed. It doesn't make sense, a banner should be enough! Look how it's done on the Mac: a simple pop up, you can even disable sound! This productivity destroyers must come to an end if the iPad wants to be taken seriously, especially now that we have a Pro version. For now I had to disable that feature.
3) iCloud should never ask for a password without giving a reason, and never in random places like the home screen. It's not only annoying: it's a huge security risk.

Last edited:

imabhishek

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2015
Apple is already testing transcribe voice mail message feature for iOS 10 http://ios10news.com/

When someone using iCloud Voicemail is unable to take a call, Siri will answer instead of letting the call go to a standard digital audio recorder.

iCloud Voicemail can relay information about where you are and why you can’t pick up the phone to certain people. But the coolest feature of the service is that Siri will transcribe any incoming voicemails, just like it does with anything else you say to it.

Features I Want in iOS 10:

Applock feature which can lock apps like email, messages etc. I want it badly. Apple can built there own so my iPAd can have it.
iOS 10 should increase Battery improvement
Lots of improvement in iCloud drive

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The only "feature" I would like in iOS 10/X is smoothness, no lag and no bugs across the whole OS.
Finally, someone thinks this as well. I've been wanting a release just to make ever device smooth since iOS 7. 7.1.x still wasn't perfect on even the newest devices.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
1) being able to customize and choose which shortcuts are in control center.
2) long press on shortcuts in control center for example long press on Bluetooth brings up devices.
3) option to disable Touch ID when connected to home wifi.
4) predictive dialling
5) being able to choose which apps show up on split view and slide over

Reactions: 3568358

iMacedonian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Brno, CZ
  1. Stability and smoothness (in older devices too)
  2. Ability to place icons wherever we want
  3. New fresh design maybe with new icons
  4. Ability to set separate volume for different alerts
  5. Ability to uninstall some of the pre-installed apps that are not essential (like Wallet, News, Friend Finder)
  6. Ability to set a default browser
  7. Better battery optimization on the Samsung chips

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
8) no usb support. We have a usb adapter but it only works to import pictures. Why can't a colleague pass me a pdf file with a USB key? You have some sort of functionality but it passes through iTunes...in 2015. Well...as long as it works well..except it doesn't!
"Hey buddy pass me this file."
"But internet is slow here and the file is 4 GB"
"Don't worry, you sure have iTunes installed on you pc, don't you?"
"errr...let me check...YES!! YES!! I do"
"Great, let's do it"
Weird sound
Error message: "You can't access this iPad, because iTunes is version 12.2. You need 12.3 to access iOS9 devices."
"...****"

Why do I have to keep pointing out to people in 2015 that lightening USBs have existed for some time now and they come with their own file management apps that make file transfer very easy.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Apple needs to re-design iOS while keeping the same app compatibility. They need to build a file manager, allow file transfers, allow file downloads, and make the user experience much more free, like OS X. I really don't like iOS currently due to how restricted the whole thing is. I get it that you don't need to risk security, but I think there should be methods to keep security while adding more freedom. Or at least, offer a developer tool that allows certain modifications to the system.

Reactions: canesalato

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple needs to re-design iOS while keeping the same app compatibility. They need to build a file manager, allow file transfers, allow file downloads, and make the user experience much more free, like OS X. I really don't like iOS currently due to how restricted the whole thing is. I get it that you don't need to risk security, but I think there should be methods to keep security while adding more freedom. Or at least, offer a developer tool that allows certain modifications to the system.
So basically they should make iOS the opposite of what they have designed it to be like for all these years and from the beginning. Sure, that seems reasonable.

Reactions: username:

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
So basically they should make iOS the opposite of what they have designed it to be like for all these years and from the beginning. Sure, that seems reasonable.
No, they need to increase freedom with those devices. That's what most people feel that is lacking. Why can't I download an mp3 directly from the Internet? Why do I still need to use iTunes? I feel like Android is actually doing a great job in that regard, and I think Apple should allow it too.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, they need to increase freedom with those devices. That's what most people feel that is lacking. Why can't I download an mp3 directly from the Internet? Why do I still need to use iTunes? I feel like Android is actually doing a great job in that regard, and I think Apple should allow it too.
Not the philosophy behind iOS. Most typical users don't even think about it.

thebro20

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
1) being able to customize and choose which shortcuts are in control center.
2) long press on shortcuts in control center for example long press on Bluetooth brings up devices.
3) option to disable Touch ID when connected to home wifi.
4) predictive dialling
5) being able to choose which apps show up on split view and slide over
one thing i miss from jailbreaking is customizing the control center

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But what about pro users? What if we want to download things? Wouldn't it be possible to at least let us configure things how we want?
Yes it would be great. It doesn't change what the philosophy has been behind iOS and how it has been for years and years. We can wish for things, but there's not much to indicate that things of that nature will mostly remain just wishes, as they have for years.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013

But you can download mp3s using apps such as Documents.
Yes there are a lot of limitations but I also think people underestimate the power of ios and at times are too lazy to do a bit of research and discover that they can actually do more than they think.

What i would like is for safari to have spaces which can each have groups of tabs in them. Or have a way to save browsing sessions so i can close all of the tabs i have currently open but which I need later.

Last edited:

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
The only "feature" I would like in iOS 10/X is smoothness, no lag and no bugs across the whole OS.
I just don't understand this "lag" complaining. I've had almost every iPhone. I'm on every new iOS beta. I've never experienced "lag". Ever. Not once. Are you people just expecting every single thing to happen at the speed of light?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Why do I have to keep pointing out to people in 2015 that lightening USBs have existed for some time now and they come with their own file management apps that make file transfer very easy.
I don't think I get it (sorry, english is not my first language), you mean those usb keys that are both lightning and usb?
If you mean that, yes, they do exist, but they are not a solution, first, you have to know they exist, second they are much, much more expansive than a normal usb key, third they are not easily available in every country and, like you said, you have to rely on a third party app for something which should be integrated at the OS core level. This is convoluted at best for an average user, when the rest of the world (I mean people on other platforms, including the Mac) has no problems at all.
On the other platform people can get a 10 euros 16gb USB key and use it, lend it to friends, loose it and buy it again, no worries, no struggle, no MFI, no third party apps. It just works.
On iOS:
http://www.amazon.it/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lightning+usb+mfi+memory&rh=i:aps,k:lightning+usb+mfi+memory&ajr=1

and what if an iOS update breaks the third party app and it doesn't get updated anymore? Your have lost you money (80-200 euros)

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Not the philosophy behind iOS. Most typical users don't even think about it.
Some of them care. That was the first thing my girlfriend asked about my iPad. When I told her "you have to use iTunes or use a third party app (and iTunes file sharing)" she opted for a surface. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.