Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Sorry, I don't understand your problem with iBooks then.
Say you have an ePub file or a PDF, you open it in iBooks, you start reading it. Then, for some reason you wish to do one these things:
1) open it inside another app (eg: documents) → you can't
2) send it to a friend by iMessage, whatsapp, telegram etc → you can't, only email and only for the PDF file.
3) send it to a friend's Mac, or to another iOS device via Airplay → you can't

So...if the file is a PDF, the only way to get it out of iBooks is to mail it yourself (hoping it's not a big PDF file, which would make you loose a lot of time).
If the file is an ePub, once it gets into iBooks, it's basically locked there forever, unless you delete it.
To download mp3s - one of many possible solutions is to download Documents app, use the built in browser which can download mp3s. Basically if you come across a file you can't download on safari, just switch to Documents.
That's how I do it as well, but it's still not so great, you need to have two separate apps (and the Document th browser that doesn't have tab support!) for such a simple task and you still end up with the mp3s split between two different apps (Documents and the Music app). Also I feel this is quite hard to figure out for many people (I know because many friends asked me how to do it). So, it's...almost a solution, a work around... anyway, thanks for writing it for me, I appreciate it. =)

Sharing files with local storage. Yeah iPad sucks at that. Feel like a troll now, sorry. I dont need big files on my iPad, just documents which I airdrop or sync. Maybe you can use WiFi drives eg http://www.cnet.com/au/products/wd-my-passport-wireless/ but they are never as fast as wired connection.
Don't worry. It's easy to misunderstand on the internet. Also my English is not perfect, it's not my mother tongue. =)
I use Airdrop a lot, but it doesn't work in iBooks (that's why I don't keep my books and PDFs inside iBooks and don't buy from the iBooks store anymore BTW) and in the Music App. Also since I've updated to iOS 9, my idevices can't see my MacBook Air anymore (yes, I've filled a radar, it got closed as a duplicate, they know about the issue, but still...no luck until 9.1 at least).
I thought about WIFI drives but...like you said they have limits. They are also expansive and rely on third party apps: what if they don't get updated for a new iOS version that breaks them? Also...it feels wrong to have to do so much for something so simple. In my opinion it should just work. Like my Mac, like Android phones (unfortunately I hate android), like my PS3 in 2006.

BTW: what if tomorrow Google buys READDLE (the makers of PDF Expert and Documents) and takes their apps away from the store? That would really damage the workflow of a lot of people on iOS. They are extremely talented developers. Their Documents app makes work on iOS tolerable.
If I were Apple I would buy them before someone else do it and make them work on fixing iOS file management and integrate their apps into iOS as first party apps.
Without Dropbox and READDLE I would have sold my iPad.

Last edited:

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Say you have an ePub file or a PDF, you open it in iBooks, you start reading it. Then, for some reason you wish to do one these things:
1) open it inside another app (eg: documents) → you can't
2) send it to a friend by iMessage, whatsapp, telegram etc → you can't, only email and only for the PDF file.
3) send it to a friend's Mac, or to another iOS device via Airplay → you can't

So...if the file is a PDF, the only way to get it out of iBooks is to mail it yourself (hoping it's not a big PDF file, which would make you loose a lot of time).
If the file is an ePub, once it gets into iBooks, it's basically locked there forever, unless you delete it.

That's how I do it as well, but it's still not so great, you need to have two separate apps (and the Document th browser that doesn't have tab support!) for such a simple task and you still end up with the mp3s split between two different apps (Documents and the Music app). Also I feel this is quite hard to figure out for many people (I know because many friends asked me how to do it). So, it's...almost a solution, a work around... anyway, thanks for writing it for me, I appreciate it. =)

Don't worry. It's easy to misunderstand on the internet. Also my English is not perfect, it's not my mother tongue. =)
I use Airdrop a lot, but it doesn't work in iBooks (that's why I don't keep my books and PDFs inside iBooks and don't buy from the iBooks store anymore BTW) and in the Music App. Also since I've updated to iOS 9, my idevices can't see my MacBook Air anymore (yes, I've filled a radar, it got closed as a duplicate, they know about the issue, but still...no luck until 9.1 at least).
I thought about WIFI drives but...like you said they have limits. They are also expansive and rely on third party apps: what if they don't get updated for a new iOS version that breaks them? Also...it feels wrong to have to do so much for something so simple. In my opinion it should just work. Like my Mac, like Android phones (unfortunately I hate android), like my PS3 in 2006.

BTW: what if tomorrow Google buys READDLE (the makers of PDF Expert and Documents) and takes their apps away from the store? That would really damage the workflow of a lot of people on iOS. They are extremely talented developers. Their Documents app makes work on iOS tolerable.
If I were Apple I would buy them before someone else do it and make them work on fixing iOS file management and integrate their apps into iOS as first party apps.
Without Dropbox and READDLE I would have sold my iPad.
You are for me noob iOS user. In App-Store give many good file explorer app or other cloud apps. Google buy readdle? Never. Android has many file explorer app.

When iOS not good for you. Then buy other device with other system e.g Android. Where is problem?

When you really interest in this features. Then use Apple Bug Report site. Large flap nothing behind

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
You are for me noob iOS user. In App-Store give many good file explorer app or other cloud apps. Google buy readdle? Never. Android has many file explorer app.

When iOS not good for you. Then buy other device with other system e.g Android. Where is problem?

When you really interest in this features. Then use Apple Bug Report site. Large flap nothing behind

LOL, ok boss. Me noob iOS user. Me stupid. Me never went Apple Bug Report site. Me don't know what a site is

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
what would everyone like to see in iOS 10?

For me iOS ticks basically every box now except...

1)
The ability to see list of saved wifi networks, their passwords and change the order.
2)
One more type of app extension which allows in-line translation of emails, messages and websites (could have privacy concerns).

Be interesting to hear what everybody else thinks now. Are you satisfied with iOS9 ? If you think it needs more features, what are they?

More automation within the next year or two. Apple has been laying in the ground work for inter app communication and I think we're going to see more apps work seamlessly together. Can't wait to see how automation apps like Workflow for iOS take advantage of that.

cjbski

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2014
Customizable control center would be awesome. Why can't I put a toggle for vibrate on/off there?

Try changing your vibrate setting. It's like 4 levels deep in settings! So frustrating.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Customizable control center would be awesome. Why can't I put a toggle for vibrate on/off there?

Try changing your vibrate setting. It's like 4 levels deep in settings! So frustrating.
Wouldn't it just be a simple change of the physical side switch on the phone?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd like to be able to see and delete stored WIFI locations and settings. On my MBP I can see a bunch of WIFI locations that can only come from my phone since many precede getting the MBP or are things such as hotels I have gone on business where I never take my MBP - it isn't that there are embarrassing locations, but I hate old junk and would like to clean it out. I'm sure over time all these do occupy space in other.

I don't want file system or ability to directly upload. I think that is opening more up for virus or taking over phone - someone will figure out how to use that directly update to install something on my phone.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
1) Option to hide apps instead of deleting them.

Not all apps need to be accessed from the home screen. Some work in the background (ie. Content blockers) or are accessed via Siri (ie. Weather) or Control Center (ie camera, calculator). Would also be useful to hide system apps that you don't use (ie tips).

2) Wallet with 3rd party NFC support to truly get rid of the physical wallet.

Enable vetted partners to use the NFC chip via Wallet. For example, adding a transit pass like Oyster card in London or PRESTO in Toronto. Apple could also work with governments to develop official ID like a drivers license or a travel passport via NFC. It could work as securely as a credit card does with ApplePay. You have an ID number like a credit card does. A police officer or airport security scans your phone, it checks with the government database online and if the photo and other information matches, it's real. If anybody has the power to get rid of paper passports and drivers licenses, Apple does.

3) Home.app

Having to have dozens of apps to manage your home kit hardware is the least efficient and clean way to do it. Have one app for which hardware developers can create HomeKit plugins. Could look like Wallet where you can add different cards for each piece of hardware. From this app, you would group devices into rooms and/or categories and could write custom Siri phrases to teach Sirl to run different actions at once.

4) Apple Music simplified

Rather than separate tabs for For You, New, and Connect, have a single Music home page curated differently for each user. A single scrollable home page with Top 10 Songs, featured albums that Apple Music thinks you would like based on your use, New songs, etc. Essentially like the iTunes Store is today but customized to your tastes. Then add selected posts from the artists you follow on Connect. All this in a long scrollable newsfeed like Facebook.
In the tabs bar, they could return Playlists featuring your own saved playlists along with activity playlists that right now are inexplicably stuffed in the New tab. Radio is fine as it is and then you'd have Library (my music) showing you your music along with what you've added to your collection. No differentiation as long as you have an active Apple Music subscription.

5) Photos.app for Pros

Aperture is dead and Photos is still far from replacing it. One area that is still lagging is sorting photos. Allow easy sorting of photos with Tinder style right/left swipe mechanics. Left to trash, right to keep, up to flag, down to drop in a new/existing album.

6) AppleTV Handover

Instead of requiring a separate remote app, if your AppleTV is displaying a keyboard, put an AppleTV handover icon in your iPhone lock screen. Drag it up to bring up the keyboard. The same could work for playback. If video/music is playing on your AppleTV, show an AppleTV icon in handover. Drag it up to reveal playback controls.

7) Multi hardware aware Siri

Siri should be able to control your other Apple devices. "Hey Siri, play the latest episode of Walkng Dead on my living room TV". "Hey Siri, play Beats 1 on my living room speakers".

8) Health

Allow Health.app to not only track your health but to train you to improve it. Lark introduced the concept of texting an AI trainer. It works well but isn't nearly as smart as Siri. You could tell Siri what you ate and she would give you advice on how to improve on your nutrition and water intake. Nutrition accounts for the vast majority of your health, yet it's not given any prominence in the way Apple addresses health. The AppleWatch is all about movement. On the fitness side, Siri is aware of your activity so she could congratulate you on doing well or encourage you to complete your Fitness rings.

9) Stop numbering iOS. It's going to start sounding clumsy after 10. Appende a name to iOS like they do for Mac OS: iOS Venus, iOS Saturn, iOS Orion, iOS Cassiopeia. Naming iOS after planets or constellations would keep them busy for as long as they wanted. There are so many options to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3568358

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Let us set sub menus/how we use 3D Touch on pre installed iOS apps, Safari, notes, calendar etc. Refine the OS just like they did with 9, get rid of bugs. Let us set default apps for opening files, web pages etc. I no longer use the standalone music app on the iPhone, I use Spotify so setting that as my default music player would be nice. I still think the calendar app is a mess, refine it or do complete redesign. Add some other cool gimicky feature no one else thinks of. That's it

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore

Unfortunately, as much as I personally would like direct import into Music.app in iOS, I know it will take some time.

There are many repercussions to having direct music import in iOS, because for that to happen Apple would have to essentially start matching Music.app features to iTunes.

For starters, tag editing. Most mp3 downloaded are going to have weird file names and album art. Apple Music streams and iTunes Store downloads are cleanly organised down to genre, composer, compilation, etc..
Next, iCloud Music Library / iTunes Match song-matching. Apple would need to include this to keep your library synced across devices.

Apple has already gotten so much flake for adding Apple Music into Music.app and making it so much more complicated (and obviously they cannot be separated due to integration being the biggest selling point). Apple has a lot more to do to the current Music.app interface before they start adding more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.