Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
on the iPhone it's ok, but on the iPad it's still a mess if you want to use the big screen for productivity...
1) file management is a disaster. It's integrated into iCloud Drive, but then you can't access Photos from there. Also iCloud Drive is used for cloud functionality and local functionality, but what about the 5gb limit? What happens when you go over it? Will local file management between apps still work? I don't know, I pay to have 50gb, but this is very confusing, as most things with iCloud drive.
2) iCloud drive still isn't integrated in every app (dropbox is).
3)iCloud drive app is horrible...and not even a progress bar when uploading a file!
4) when a file enters iBooks it is stuck there, even if it is DRM-free.
5) same with Music. Why? What's the point in buying (and paying more) drm-free stuff?
6) No drag and drop in split view
7) no RAW support for Photos
8) no usb support. We have a usb adapter but it only works to import pictures. Why can't a colleague pass me a pdf file with a USB key? You have some sort of functionality but it passes through iTunes...in 2015. Well...as long as it works well..except it doesn't!
"Hey buddy pass me this file."
"But internet is slow here and the file is 4 GB"
"Don't worry, you sure have iTunes installed on you pc, don't you?"
"errr...let me check...YES!! YES!! I do"
"Great, let's do it"
Weird sound
Error message: "You can't access this iPad, because iTunes is version 12.2. You need 12.3 to access iOS9 devices."
"...****"

9) not optimized, sometimes I get lag on an iPad Air 2. We've reached a point where devices are supposed to be slowed down by very complex apps, not by the spotlight animation. Meh
10) Said apps don't exist because the app store model, as it is, doesn't work well on the iPad.
11) There's a rule that says: no uncompiled code. This rule limits the functionality of the iPad because it limits the apps available. That is the reason, for example, why xCode can't be ported to iOS. It's also the reason why I need a Mac to analyze data in my lab: statistical programs like R can't run on iOS, because of the same rule.
12) Safari needs a downloader
Again here no effect. Apple is not here.

Make features request with good details e.g concept,Screenshots etc..

Then upload file and open features request. login apple id done.
https://bugreport.apple.com/

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Apple is already testing transcribe voice mail message feature for iOS 10 http://ios10news.com/

When someone using iCloud Voicemail is unable to take a call, Siri will answer instead of letting the call go to a standard digital audio recorder.

iCloud Voicemail can relay information about where you are and why you can’t pick up the phone to certain people. But the coolest feature of the service is that Siri will transcribe any incoming voicemails, just like it does with anything else you say to it.

Features I Want in iOS 10:

Applock feature which can lock apps like email, messages etc. I want it badly. Apple can built there own so my iPAd can have it.
iOS 10 should increase Battery improvement
Lots of improvement in iCloud drive

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
  1. Stability and smoothness (in older devices too)
  2. Ability to place icons wherever we want
  3. New fresh design maybe with new icons
  4. Ability to set separate volume for different alerts
  5. Ability to uninstall some of the pre-installed apps that are not essential (like Wallet, News, Friend Finder)
  6. Ability to set a default browser
  7. Better battery optimization on the Samsung chips

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
what would everyone like to see in iOS 10?

For me iOS ticks basically every box now except...

1)
The ability to see list of saved wifi networks, their passwords and change the order.
2)
One more type of app extension which allows in-line translation of emails, messages and websites (could have privacy concerns).

Be interesting to hear what everybody else thinks now. Are you satisfied with iOS9 ? If you think it needs more features, what are they?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
But you can download mp3s using apps such as Documents.
Yes there are a lot of limitations but I also think people underestimate the power of ios and at times are too lazy to do a bit of research and discover that they can actually do more than they think.
Yes, you can use use Documents, but see...third party app to download a file, third party app to import files from a very peculiar and much more expansive USB key...these are very simple, non power user tasks. I agree iOS is very powerful if you get into it, but this is not a good thing, it means that you have to bend your thinking to permanent work-around mode. Then you get used to it and maybe think this is good and easy, but it's not, and newcomers are struggling to get work done on the iPad and you cannot call them lazy if they don't know that you need a special third party hardware and a third party app to import files, because Apple adapter works only with photos and videos (and even with those it makes a very poor job).
Come on, on an infinite time scale, this will change. But they are already late now. As iOS users we have to ask more.
Some people seems to be focuses on "silly" things "default apps, widgets, new icons, dark theme, put my apps where i want on the home screen" but after 5 years the iPad, out of the box, is still a very limited device that cannot even import an mp3 file from an sd card into the Music app and if you use your iPad to work with files you will feel all these limits, and you'll start buying stuff (apps and hardware) to go around them. And sometimes you will succeed, sometimes you will still fail. This is not right, not a good experience.
iBooks still cannot open an ePub or a PDF file in an other APP! If an ePub gets there, it's stuck there forever. Like in a black hole. Is that a good user experience?

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Again here no effect. Apple is not here.

Make features request with good details e.g concept,Screenshots etc..

Then upload file and open features request. login apple id done.
I don't write this stuff here to have apple listen to it. I'm just talking with my friends from macrumors forum... =)
But...I have written to Apple, in fact I write them every year about the stuff which I feel iOS is missing. At the address you posted. And I open radars about bugs and implementations that are too convoluted.

Reactions: GreyOS

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Slightly off topic but I have a feeling that with iOS reaching the major number 10, they might possibly restart the aggressive dropping of legacy devices such as all the A5 and A6 devices, so that iOS becomes 64-bit only.

Additional reading...

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Yes, you can use use Documents, but see...third party app to download a file, third party app to import files from a very peculiar and much more expansive USB key...these are very simple, non power user tasks. I agree iOS is very powerful if you get into it, but this is not a good thing, it means that you have to bend your thinking to permanent work-around mode. Then you get used to it and maybe think this is good and easy, but it's not, and newcomers are struggling to get work done on the iPad and you cannot call them lazy if they don't know that you need a special third party hardware and a third party app to import files, because Apple adapter works only with photos and videos (and even with those it makes a very poor job).
Come on, on an infinite time scale, this will change. But they are already late now. As iOS users we have to ask more.
Some people seems to be focuses on "silly" things "default apps, widgets, new icons, dark theme, put my apps where i want on the home screen" but after 5 years the iPad, out of the box, is still a very limited device that cannot even import an mp3 file from an sd card into the Music app and if you use your iPad to work with files you will feel all these limits, and you'll start buying stuff (apps and hardware) to go around them. And sometimes you will succeed, sometimes you will still fail. This is not right, not a good experience.
iBooks still cannot open an ePub or a PDF file in an other APP! If an ePub gets there, it's stuck there forever. Like in a black hole. Is that a good user experience?

The three issues you state, I will restate without hyperbole:

- cannot download mp3s or transfer mp3s from an SD card - well actually you can and it is not difficult, in fact I figured out how to do it in 5 minutes. It isn't exactly a common user feature anyway

- no USB port - yes apple went with that strategy since 2010. Everybody knows the iPad does not have a USB port. There are solutions if you need them. This is forward thinking. Or maybe they should add a floppy disk drive?

- iBooks is not cloud compatible with third party books - okay go use any of the thousands of other apps that can handle epubs and PDFs in the App Store. Or use the Windows books store... Oh wait they don't have one.

Come on. These are not big issues. You make them out to be the worst things ever.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Slightly off topic but I have a feeling that with iOS reaching the major number 10, they might possibly restart the aggressive dropping of legacy devices such as all the A5 and A6 devices, so that iOS becomes 64-bit only.

Additional reading...
I think that will be iOS 11, if it happens with 10 they'll have to cut support for a lot of devices: the A5 iPod touch, A5 Apple TV, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4. That said, it's not impossible, they could do it, maybe they should do it.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
again you need this features. then report on apple bug report site, with happiness come in next version. Why you not use the chance? Discussion no problem, but no effect.
K but this is MacRumors not bugreport.apple.com.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
I think that will be iOS 11, if it happens with 10 they'll have to cut support for a lot of devices: the A5 iPod touch, A5 Apple TV, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4. That said, it's not impossible, they could do it, maybe they should do it.
Possible. Then again, this could the reason itself why Apple might drop support for so many devices, bearing in mind that when iOS 10 comes out, they'd have to support all this and the new iPhones and iPads.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Possible. Then again, this could the reason itself why Apple might drop support for so many devices, bearing in mind that when iOS 10 comes out, they'd have to support all this and the new iPhones and iPads.

I can't see why not to do it. Usage numbers for the A5 iPads are still very significant, and if they can just push a version of iOS 10 that essentially contains the security updates only + minimal new features then it would be nice. With App thinning, developers no longer have to support the devices they don't want.

Perhaps like OSX, Apple can be nice to us users of older devices. Yes they have been nice to iPad 2 users, but why not be a bit nicer? They are loaded with case.. and yes I'm going to be flamed for this.... Basically you pay a lot for an iOS device, so it would be nice.

However if iOS 10 is a huge release, then I could see it (sadly) as A6 and above.

But anyway, iOS 10 features:

- Better file management... Why can't I save to iCloud Drive from Safari?? Why can't I save a video (for example my uni lectures) from safari onto iCloud Drive. I don't want access to the iPad file system, I just want an effective way to manage files on iOS devices.

- 'profiles'. When I go to uni, I put my phone onto Airplane mode, with wifi on and bluetooth off. When I leave home, I turn Wifi off, bluetooth off and Airplane mode off. At night I put airplane mode on etc etc. Why can't we have settings profiles? It drives me crazy adjusting the settings all the time.

- Customisable Control centre - I mean come on, why is mobile hotspot not in control centre :p I'd like certain other settings in CC.

I have a whole heap more ideas, but I can't remember them of the top of my head. Lots of little things that could be made better.

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Perso

The three issues you state, I will restate without hyperbole:

- cannot download mp3s or transfer mp3s from an SD card - well actually you can and it is not difficult, in fact I figured out how to do it in 5 minutes. It isn't exactly a common user feature anyway

Sharing files with local storage not a common user feature? Maybe in the US you have blazing fast connections. In other parts of the world you need local storage to share files.
Anyway, since you figured out in 5 minutes would you please share your knowledge?
I won't answer to your other points because you didn't read my problems carefully, I never asked for a usb P O R T and I never asked for third party files cloud syncing in iBooks.

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I just don't understand this "lag" complaining. I've had almost every iPhone. I'm on every new iOS beta. I've never experienced "lag". Ever. Not once. Are you people just expecting every single thing to happen at the speed of light?

Again, different tolerance, different expectations. The issue is *definitely* there, because a lot of people are complaining about it. I see issues on my iPhone 6, and I've done like 3 totally clean installs. No difference. Control Center for example is almost smooth, but it drops into 40-50FPS. On iPhone 5 (clean install as well) control center IS a smooth 60FPS. Opening folders is slower on iPhone 6, there's a delay after tapping on it, where it's immediate on iPhone 5. Less animation frame rate issues too on the 5. Control Center suffers EVEN MORE over open folders on iPhone 6, perfect 60FPS still on the 5. Control Center suffers more on the lock screen for iPhone 6 as well, STILL perfect on the 5. Reduce transparency off, reduce motion off on both devices.

It has something to do with Metal. I see similar issues even on the iPhone 6S.

Reactions: oldmacs

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
I can't see why not to do it. Usage numbers for the A5 iPads are still very significant, and if they can just push a version of iOS 10 that essentially contains the security updates only + minimal new features then it would be nice. With App thinning, developers no longer have to support the devices they don't want.

Perhaps like OSX, Apple can be nice to us users of older devices. Yes they have been nice to iPad 2 users, but why not be a bit nicer? They are loaded with case.. and yes I'm going to be flamed for this.... Basically you pay a lot for an iOS device, so it would be nice.

However if iOS 10 is a huge release, then I could see it (sadly) as A6 and above.

But anyway, iOS 10 features:

- Better file management... Why can't I save to iCloud Drive from Safari?? Why can't I save a video (for example my uni lectures) from safari onto iCloud Drive. I don't want access to the iPad file system, I just want an effective way to manage files on iOS devices.

- 'profiles'. When I go to uni, I put my phone onto Airplane mode, with wifi on and bluetooth off. When I leave home, I turn Wifi off, bluetooth off and Airplane mode off. At night I put airplane mode on etc etc. Why can't we have settings profiles? It drives me crazy adjusting the settings all the time.

- Customisable Control centre - I mean come on, why is mobile hotspot not in control centre :p I'd like certain other settings in CC.

I have a whole heap more ideas, but I can't remember them of the top of my head. Lots of little things that could be made better.
This is that problem. User as you have many good idea. But can not the site from Apple "Bug report". Since public beta for iOS is the site little more popular for not developer.

Please use Apple bug report site with good fact,details,concept. With happiness is iOS 10 custom iOS system ;)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
This is that problem. User as you have many good idea. But can not the site from Apple "Bug report". Since public beta for iOS is the site little more popular for not developer.

Please use Apple bug report site with good fact,details,concept. With happiness is iOS 10 custom iOS system ;)

I already have! I'm just expressing my ideas on here as well :)

Reactions: Stickharuhi

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Sharing files with local storage not a common user feature? Maybe in the US you have blazing fast connections. In other parts of the world you need local storage to share files.
Anyway, since you figured out in 5 minutes would you please share your knowledge?
I won't answer to your other points because you didn't read my problems carefully, I never asked for a usb P O R T and I never asked for third party files cloud syncing in iBooks.

Sorry, I don't understand your problem with iBooks then.

To download mp3s - one of many possible solutions is to download Documents app, use the built in browser which can download mp3s. Basically if you come across a file you can't download on safari, just switch to Documents.

Sharing files with local storage. Yeah iPad sucks at that. Feel like a troll now, sorry. I dont need big files on my iPad, just documents which I airdrop or sync. Maybe you can use WiFi drives eg http://www.cnet.com/au/products/wd-my-passport-wireless/ but they are never as fast as wired connection.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Some of them care. That was the first thing my girlfriend asked about my iPad. When I told her "you have to use iTunes or use a third party app (and iTunes file sharing)" she opted for a surface. =)
Sure, some do, but most don't.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iOS 10?
No screen freeze. No random restart. No game slowness.
I want my phone never need to restart except updating software.
Other than that, those features above would be great.
Plus: don't "guide" me to use bug report site as I know they would hardly listen.
And: don't say "issues not there" because I have experienced multiple times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.