Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redesign or No?

• Full redesign

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • Added Features

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Just Improvements

Votes: 35 27.3%

• Total voters

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
i am using it. its pretty awesome. much better than iOS 9. i can run my mac and iPhone both on iOS. and yes i can transfer files via bluetooth as well!

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I don't think we will see anything MAJOR anytime soon but I really am hoping for a Yosemite/Capitan-esque refresh. More dropshadows, more slight round-ness, etc. Oh, and Dark Mode please! I thought we would see it with iOS 9 but apparently not. :(
What do you mean by that? Differences between Yosemite and El Capitan?

Topic: I sure hope so.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There might be slight changes bug I don't expect a major aesthetic overhaul anytime soon.

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
I'm actually expecting things to change with iOS 11.

My reasoning behind this is because we've had Mac OS X for so long now that it's far from following any Semantic Versioning. I have a feeling that Apple are waiting for iOS to catch up to Mac OS and then we'll see a mass crossover where all OS's (excluding watch OS) sync up into one.

This may even see an iOS device that can plug into a screen meaning we don't have to buy a Mac and iPad and iPhone. It could just be one device, very much like Ubuntu Mobile.

This is my dream and prediction anyway! :D

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i dont think they would bother will all those under the hood improvements on iOS 9 only to throw it out of the water with a whole new redesign on iOS 10. we all know how iOS 7 started out before it got good

Sport73

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Wellington, FL
If Apple decides they like what they've seen from the Apple Watch's OLED display, then there is a chance we would see them switch to that display technology for the iPhone 7. If that happens, performing a redesign and introducing a 'dark' mode would make sense to optimize the battery life (while still allowing for ultra-thin devices). So, there is a SLIM chance iOS 10 would have a 'new' design, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

PS> I like the look of iOS9!

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I'm actually expecting things to change with iOS 11.

My reasoning behind this is because we've had Mac OS X for so long now that it's far from following any Semantic Versioning. I have a feeling that Apple are waiting for iOS to catch up to Mac OS and then we'll see a mass crossover where all OS's (excluding watch OS) sync up into one.

This may even see an iOS device that can plug into a screen meaning we don't have to buy a Mac and iPad and iPhone. It could just be one device, very much like Ubuntu Mobile.

This is my dream and prediction anyway! :D

If you think they're 2 iterations away from merging a seven year old, lightweight mobile OS, with what is referred to as "the most advanced OS in the world", that has over 30 years of code/history, and that magically all the input issues (mouse/keyboard combo vs. touch/tilt) will be solved by then...... ummmmmm, I'll have what you're smoking please! =P
Seriously. Just no. You have NOT thought it through in the slightest, beyond your personal desire to not buy multiple devices for multiple purposes. iOS and OS X will be seperate products (& rightly so!) for many, many, many years to come! Speaking as to your dream/prediction: the best you could realistically hope for in the next five years or so, is a "convertible OS" device. Say.... a fancy implementation of Fusion Drive in a MacBook, where the HDD is on the notebook & the flash memory is in the screen.... which is removable, & when removed, becomes a tablet, running iOS. Running the same OS is not probable, logical, or even feasible.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Do you folks who care so much about design vs. function sit there for hours and stare at your screen and think ugly or beautiful. Why would anyone care what an ICON looks like - it is what happens when you use the App that is important and not the look.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Design language goes in circles, not technology.It will always be a new interpretation of the design.

The language always goes in circles, but not the actual interface design. Graphically when old design styles come back they almost always have new interpretations and twists to them.

For example, go to any high end department store and look at the colors and fabrics of the highest end towels you can find. The colors and fabrics are very late 80's however if you look at it close it's been refined. The colors are slightly deeper, the fabrics use new technology to weave and as a result the loom and feel is slightly different than the towels of the 80s.

Once something over it rarely comes back in an identical form, especially in UI design.

Reactions: na1577

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
If you think they're 2 iterations away from merging a seven year old, lightweight mobile OS, with what is referred to as "the most advanced OS in the world", that has over 30 years of code/history, and that magically all the input issues (mouse/keyboard combo vs. touch/tilt) will be solved by then...... ummmmmm, I'll have what you're smoking please! =P
Seriously. Just no. You have NOT thought it through in the slightest, beyond your personal desire to not buy multiple devices for multiple purposes. iOS and OS X will be seperate products (& rightly so!) for many, many, many years to come! Speaking as to your dream/prediction: the best you could realistically hope for in the next five years or so, is a "convertible OS" device. Say.... a fancy implementation of Fusion Drive in a MacBook, where the HDD is on the notebook & the flash memory is in the screen.... which is removable, & when removed, becomes a tablet, running iOS. Running the same OS is not probable, logical, or even feasible.

Realistically there would be no issue having a processor that would drop into low power mode when running on battery and running at full power when plugged into the mains and an external screen. Apple already have an effective iOS layer over the top of Mac OS X i.e. Launchpad. Apple already has iDrive sewn up so we are not tied to having large drives attached. We also have Swift and the ability from the App Store to automatically serve the correct app for the correct device.

Ubuntu are already doing this, albeit slowly but productively. I'm not talking about walking around using Mac OSX on the phone. I'm talking about being able to use Mac OSX when I have my phone plugged into mains and a monitor. It isn't me saying I want to spend less money on multiple devices, if that was the case I wouldn't have a laptop, desktop, ipad, iphone etc etc etc.

I also wouldn't presume that Apple would see this post, go "Yes, love it" and have it ready in 2 iterations. I'm saying that I think it may be already in production as i've been wondering for many years now why Apple hasn't moved on from iOS X yet and think they must be waiting for something big! We have already seen this kind of holding off on versioning to bring iPhone and iPad versioning in sync so I don't think it's too 'unrealistic.'

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
The huge design direction change that we've seen in iOS 7 won't happen again. Now that Jony is in charge, there's no impetus for another overhaul. When Jony became head of design he was scrapping a design language he despised. But now he's iterating his own work. The interface design will change gradually like the hardware design has, where each iteration is the natural progression of the previous. The interface is as much a design language to Apple as the hardware, and do we expect a sudden and drastic overhaul of their hardware? I don't.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I don't think we will see anything MAJOR anytime soon but I really am hoping for a Yosemite/Capitan-esque refresh. More dropshadows, more slight round-ness, etc. Oh, and Dark Mode please! I thought we would see it with iOS 9 but apparently not. :(
?? There's already dark mode in iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.