Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redesign or No?

• Full redesign

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • Added Features

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Just Improvements

Votes: 35 27.3%

• Total voters

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Never say never, they do on the mac. Why wouldnt that be possible on the iPhone?

Are you serious??

It looks like from your avatar pic that you're old enough to know a teeny bit about computing history.... but here is a refresher:
The modern day PC operating system is based on a lot of legacy code. The modern day mobile OS is.... well, modern. iOS is surely more secure than, for example, an OS like Windows. This is largely due to a VERY tightly controlled app experience. It is FAR easier to get malicious code to run on a desktop OS than on a mobile OS. You have both of the major OSs trying to change this. Microsoft made their Windows Store... Apple made their Mac Store... there are options for "only allow apps from the App Store" on both. This is in an effort to make desktop computing more like mobile computing. That is to say; less worrisome as you install apps. Not having to carefully look at EULAs to ensure you're not accidentally installing some garbage search toolbars or faux antivirus ransomware as you install the real app, etc.
This is a move FORWARD.
If you've never experienced a buggy computer riddled with spyware & junk, I encourage you to try.... well, pretty much ANY personal computer not owned by a "power user". They'll likely have "search conduit" or some other insidious malware installed. Even the uninstallers are worded crazily & if you're not careful, you're installing even MORE spyware junk, even as you remove the last! Surely you see this as bad, yeah?? Are you really thinking that since this isn't currently an issue on mobile, they are likely about to try to make it a problem on mobile?? Even as they are moving desktop computers AWAY from this experience & legacy way of doing things, you think they're eager to simultaneously move mobile computing in the OPPOSITE direction, back to how they did things on desktop for the first 40 years??
Lol... someone needs to put on their thinking cap.

Reactions: narr

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Are you serious??

It looks like from your avatar pic that you're old enough to know a teeny bit about computing history.... but here is a refresher:
The modern day PC operating system is based on a lot of legacy code. The modern day mobile OS is.... well, modern. iOS is surely more secure than, for example, an OS like Windows. This is largely due to a VERY tightly controlled app experience. It is FAR easier to get malicious code to run on a desktop OS than on a mobile OS. You have both of the major OSs trying to change this. Microsoft made their Windows Store... Apple made their Mac Store... there are options for "only allow apps from the App Store" on both. This is in an effort to make desktop computing more like mobile computing. That is to say; less worrisome as you install apps. Not having to carefully look at EULAs to ensure you're not accidentally installing some garbage search toolbars or faux antivirus ransomware as you install the real app, etc.
This is a move FORWARD.
If you've never experienced a buggy computer riddled with spyware & junk, I encourage you to try.... well, pretty much ANY personal computer not owned by a "power user". They'll likely have "search conduit" or some other insidious malware installed. Even the uninstallers are worded crazily & if you're not careful, you're installing even MORE spyware junk, even as you remove the last! Surely you see this as bad, yeah?? Are you really thinking that since this isn't currently an issue on mobile, they are likely about to try to make it a problem on mobile?? Even as they are moving desktop computers AWAY from this experience & legacy way of doing things, you think they're eager to simultaneously move mobile computing in the OPPOSITE direction, back to how they did things on desktop for the first 40 years??
Lol... someone needs to put on their thinking cap.

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    990.4 KB · Views: 213

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

I guess we'll see when the imaginary/impossible product you're unrealistically fantasizing about doesn't show up & computer systems keep progressing forward in a rational manner, that completely makes logical sense, & doesn't randomly adhere to your wacky pipe dreams.
Lol, try a few computer classes at your local college. You may actually learn something (other than how to post off-topic memes, in an effort to save face when you're called out for being wrong)
Best of luck!!! We all had to start somewhere. :)

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Lol.
Umm..... too bad you didn't oh, I don't know... READ that article before posting it.
I'll rehash it for you:
1)Windows phones DON'T run Windows 10, full version
2)using a keyboard, mouse, & monitor you WILL be able to scale up mobile apps.. coded for your phone & running on your phone- and display them on the monitor (you know, like you can currently... with ease, on both Android & iOS)
It is genuinely embarrassing if you think this in any way equates to running full Windows 10 on a mobile.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
If it follows the pattern of iOS thus far, it may not be until iOS 14 before we see another major shift in design.
I think you mean iOS 13. iOS 1-6 original design, iOS 7-12 current design, iOS 13-18 next generation design. With this pattern, we're halfway through the current design. It's hard to imagine all the future changes. (Especially the A13 SoC hardware changes that go with iOS 13, except that it would likely power future Macs as well.)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
And half the people on this forum will think it is the worst thing to ever happen to IOS and the other half will love it. About 43 threads about it

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I hope so.

I have no problem with flat design but I really dislike some of the design choices. I don't want a white box covering my screen each time I change the volume. I don't like that the letterbox border toggles between black and white when I'm looking at pictures. That couldn't be a worse choice IMO.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
This could be a example of another jailbreak tweak integrated into the official iOS version!

Personally, I feel that if they did a watch face OS, it would have to be a setting in the OS!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The only thing I would like to see is a change to the Springboard. It's been the exact same since iOS 1. It's about time we see some tweaking to it, to make it fresh and new. I don't necessarily mean a complete overhaul, but at least some changes. The same ol' grid is quite old and stale.

But I doubt much will ever change to it, since it's pretty much the iconic "look" of iOS.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The only thing I would like to see is a change to the Springboard. It's been the exact same since iOS 1. It's about time we see some tweaking to it, to make it fresh and new. I don't necessarily mean a complete overhaul, but at least some changes. The same ol' grid is quite old and stale.

But I doubt much will ever change to it, since it's pretty much the iconic "look" of iOS.
And it just got the 3D Touch UI. It's not going anywhere.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It will be called that, at least in speech.

I was thinking about it last night. I had the thought of iOS sticking to iOS X like OS X has. And doing the same naming scheme like in OS X so that they tie in together.

This is purely just an example. But say it happened last year. It would have been OS X Yosemite and iOS X El Capitan. Two OS's, OS X (the bigger OS) is the area and iOS (the smaller OS) is something in that area.

This would make it so we wouldn't have a iOS 23 later down the line.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i doubt it, they r still trying to fix things form iOS 7 days but for the love of god, get rid of that stupid home button already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.