Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redesign or No?

• Full redesign

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • Added Features

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Just Improvements

Votes: 35 27.3%

• Total voters

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
We know Apple is going big with 3D touch. However, they could not be too invasive with it considering most of the devices out there that are not 3D touch enabled. This is why ios 9 is perfectly usable without 3D touch.

Once the technology becomes "what most people have" and once Apple stops supporting iPhone 6 and under, is when we can expect the next major overhaul. And it will be centered around 3D touch, only this time it'll be used for specific features rather than complementing existing ones.

Right now they would have to fragment the OS to use force touch to it's full potential.

Think about it.. Makes sense right?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Gratuitously so, I predict iPhone X (10) to be a radical redesign of the iPhone since there is only so much Apple could do to the current form factor and I am sure with the 6 generation gap until iPhone X they will have. This is quite a bit off, although it would be fun to speculate what iPhone X (10) would be. I could foresee iPhone X having some game-changing features by then, like:

Practically indestructible cover glass. No more worries about cracked displays.
Along with being waterproof, the entire device could graciously be impervious to damage through normal use.
Transforming display that can adjust to display clickable buttons.
Performance that far exceeds current laptop technology, along with gaming performance that exceeds the current generation of consoles.
Battery capable of >24 hours of usage.
Form factor that can be adjusted at whim, which interfaces well with dynamic multitasking. (I have this one pretty well-though-out actually ;).)
Quad speaker design borrowed from iPad Pro.
With the advent of virtual reality, I'll go a step further on the craziness to state that it could even have some way to easily transform into a virtual reality headset.
Heck, at this point it could even have some accessories that turn it into a full-blown computer replacement.

Let's keep the speculation going; I'll be sure to bump up this thread before the keynote. IMO iPhone X will have to be the most radical iPhone redesign of its lifetime yet.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am afraid we are a good way of from the features listed above. Just the indestructible screen will be way down the road. Technology has much to catch up before even a few of these will happen.

But when we are talking iPhone 10 . . . . who knows.

Last edited:

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Sorry if this topic has already been posted before but I want to know if you guys think iOS 10 will have a slight redesign. I don't expect them to completely change the look of iOS but I think they might do some slight redesigns like they did with the app switcher on iOS 9. I kind of want them to redesign some app icons, add some color instead of white, and change UI elements like multitasking, app switcher, notification and control center, and the animations.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
The current design is fine. iOS was redesigned with iOS 7 because skeuomorphism was getting old.

Strongly doubt any redesign.

Reactions: Schubbiii

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The current design is fine. iOS was redesigned with iOS 7 because skeuomorphism was getting old.

Strongly doubt any redesign.
The current design has been getting old in the eyes of some as well.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iPhone OS 1
iPhone OS 2
iPhone OS 3

shared pretty much the same design

iOS 4
iOS 5
iOS 6

shared pretty much the same design, though 5 and 6 had tweaks

iOS 7
iOS 8
iOS 9

have shared pretty much the same design as well, again with tweaks.

Does that mean 10, 11 and 12 are next?

Possibly, it will be more like going from iPhone OS 3 to iOS 4, some changes but not drastic.

Reactions: H3boy and ielessar

KidAKidB

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2014
Toronto
The current design has been getting old in the eyes of some as well.
Correct. I want something different rather than a grid of icons. I do like what Microsoft has done with Windows Phone to a degree and I like what some launchers on Android are doing, but I'm not sure what the ideal solution would be for iOS. Definitely not like the WatchOS though.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
iPhone OS 1
iPhone OS 2
iPhone OS 3

shared pretty much the same design

iOS 4
iOS 5
iOS 6

shared pretty much the same design, though 5 and 6 had tweaks

iOS 7
iOS 8
iOS 9

have shared pretty much the same design as well, again with tweaks.

Does that mean 10, 11 and 12 are next?

Possibly, it will be more like going from iPhone OS 3 to iOS 4, some changes but not drastic.

The way I remember it iOS 1 - iOS 6 pretty much shared the same design with some minor tweaks (i.e. the flat dock to 3D dock).... it wasn't until iOS 7 that there was a full re-design.... I could be wrong though my long term memory is shoddy lol.

Reactions: Schubbiii

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
The way I remember it iOS 1 - iOS 6 pretty much shared the same design with some minor tweaks (i.e. the flat dock to 3D dock).... it wasn't until iOS 7 that there was a full re-design.... I could be wrong though my long term memory is shoddy lol.
iOS 1-3 had enough differences from iOS 4-6 to be able to tell the difference between them, like wallpapers and the dock. I kind of want the same thing with iOS 10, make it look slightly different rather than keep the same design. It has too much white

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I agree in that I like the current look but I think some more contrast is needed. Deeper dark colors in areas and maybe we can finally get a full Dark Mode? OSX has had it for two iterations now.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I've always loved this "Yosemite Theme" for iOS, I think this is the direction Apple should definitely go for OS consolidation (at least in terms of iconography)

attachment.php

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I've always loved this "Yosemite Theme" for iOS, I think this is the direction Apple should definitely go for OS consolidation (at least in terms of iconography)

attachment.php
That looks really good, I would like for them to also add animations to the app icons like having the gears spin in the Settings app, or the weather app display the current weather. They could at least make their default app's icons be their own shape like it is on OS X like the Messages app, Safari, and App Store.

H3boy

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Charlie West

attachment.php
I really like that design, especially the messages app, it's due for a major redesign.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I hope not - I hope things work better but don't spend 1 hour of work on re-design

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015

attachment.php

Is this a jailbreak thing? I love that look.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
they just sorted out most of the bugs i dont think they will bother
iOS 7 was probably the most stable version between it and iOS 8 and iOS 9. I think if they really try to look at all the developers' reports on bugs they find in the iOS 10 beta, they could get a really stable release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.