Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Definitely not. Stay on iOS 10. In fact if Apple allowed me to I would be first in line to go back to iOS 10 on the 7 Plus.

Reactions: simonmet

KaleyTorres

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
I guess I'll stay on 10.3.3 forever on my 7P. Best for performance / battery so far. My heart wants to update but my head says no
Same, I've ever wondered to iOS 11 for screen recording and Files. But give up as some many people complained the low speed and poor battery. I think I'll stay iOS 10.3.3 forever :cool:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I still can't get myself over updating my 7+ since it is a 'one-way-street' :-/

Having said that IOS 10 has its glitches too....

But from your personal experience, does IOS 11 feel slower than IOS 10 on your 7+ ?
Not for me. My 7+ came with 10.2, and I could have jailbroken it, but decided not to. I used it for a few weeks, then upgraded to iOS 11. 11.2.6 is solid right now, but I eventually ended up on 11.3 Betas. It is working great for me, but of course there are still bugs (no show stopping ones, though). Honestly, I don't find much difference in performance from 10.2 to 11.3 Beta 4 on my 7+.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT update your devices from 10.ANYTHING! Unless you absolutely need to for some reason. It is worse. I mean, it’s the least worse on this latest beta, but it’s still a downgrade from iOS 10.

How so?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Not for me. My 7+ came with 10.2, and I could have jailbroken it, but decided not to. I used it for a few weeks, then upgraded to iOS 11. 11.2.6 is solid right now, but I eventually ended up on 11.3 Betas. It is working great for me, but of course there are still bugs (no show stopping ones, though). Honestly, I don't find much difference in performance from 10.2 to 11.3 Beta 4 on my 7+.
Are you getting the same delays and lags as this guy on your 7 on the current beta? Start at 4:15. Seems like there is a problem with loading up most 3rd party apps. If these delays aren’t fixed I will sit on 11.2.6 on my 7 for quite awhile!!

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
iOS 11.3 is no worse than 11.2, but I can’t forgive Apple for inteoducing the home button delay. I would go back to iOS 10 based on that alone.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I can understand someone who dont want to update if he/she don't like a new look (like notifications on iOS 10), jailbreaking or waiting the first 3 or 4 months after a major iOS release so major bugs will be fixed, but other than that, I don't see the benefits of staying on an old, outdated firmware for one or 2 years just for "performance" reasons. 11.3 for me is almost as good as I remembered 10.3.3 was.

Staying on an outdated firmware can give you trouble if you want an apple watch, AirPods, home pod, compatibility with your mac (you have to not updating macOS as well for better results) and yes, I'm not a paranoid person, but I really think staying on a year long outdated firmware will make you more vulnerable security wise. new breach and vulnerability will be there as time goes (web, firmware itself etc)

Reactions: unobtainium

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I think I will stay with 10.3 can't really find any reason to update, so far it seems drawbacks are more than advantages and since I own no iWatch (but rather some mechanical watches), no HomePod (but rather my 30+ years old vintage stereo) and no EarPods (I like good ol' cables, possibly with a jack other than the stupid iPhone's connector) I don't strictly need to update and I also add that I don't want face recognition so the next phone might be a poor Android with not too many whistles and bells.

Thanks everybody

Reactions: simonmet

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
iOS 11.3 is no worse than 11.2, but I can’t forgive Apple for inteoducing the home button delay. I would go back to iOS 10 based on that alone.

I don't notice any delay in iOS 11.3 when I press the home button on my iPhone 7 Plus.

What phone are you using? Also if you have Accessibility Shortcut (triple click) enabled for anything, there will be a home button delay since it has to give you time to triple-click.

EDIT: Another place that can slow the home button is "Click Speed" being set to "slow" or "slowest" instead of "default" in Accessibility -> Home button.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I don't notice any delay in iOS 11.3 when I press the home button on my iPhone 7 Plus.

What phone are you using? Also if you have Accessibility Shortcut (triple click) enabled for anything, there will be a home button delay since it has to give you time to triple-click.

EDIT: Another place that can slow the home button is "Click Speed" being set to "slow" or "slowest" instead of "default" in Accessibility -> Home button.
I don't want to start the whole home button delay debate again, but here are the facts.

With iOS 11, Apple added a very slight delay between when you hit the home button to close an app, and when the closing animation starts. With iOS 10, the closing animation began immediately upon tapping the home button, but the animation itself was slower than it is in iOS 11. End result is that the apps finish closing in the same amount of time in iOS 11 compared to iOS 10.

This was most likely implemented because in iOS 10, double clicking the home button to access the app switcher resulted in a weird looking jump in which the closing animation (initiated by the first click of the home button) was interrupted by the animation for the app switcher (second click) and some people thought it was bad UI.

Also, you'll find that unlike iOS 10, with iOS 11 there is no longer a difference in home button response speed whether you have the Accessibility Shortcut on or off.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I don't want to start the whole home button delay debate again, but here are the facts.

With iOS 11, Apple added a very slight delay between when you hit the home button to close an app, and when the closing animation starts. With iOS 10, the closing animation began immediately upon tapping the home button, but the animation itself was slower than it is in iOS 11. End result is that the apps finish closing in the same amount of time in iOS 11 compared to iOS 10.

This was most likely implemented because in iOS 10, double clicking the home button to access the app switcher resulted in a weird looking jump in which the closing animation (initiated by the first click of the home button) was interrupted by the animation for the app switcher (second click) and some people thought it was bad UI.

Also, you'll find that unlike iOS 10, with iOS 11 there is no longer a difference in home button response speed whether you have the Accessibility Shortcut on or off.
Perfectly explained.

One thing that is nice about the animations on iOS 11 compared to iOS 10 and 9 is that now once the close animation is activated you can now hit home screen icons during the animation and it registers and the app opens immediately where as the input used to be blocked and you’d have to wait for the animation to finish on iOS 9-10 before you could get the icon tap to register. It was like this in the iOS 7 and 8 days also and mysteriously removed on iOS 9-10 but is back now and feels nice. It’s weird how they tweak little things like this every once and awhile through the major versions and some people notice and some don’t. The home button delay doesn’t bother be but I’m very aware that it’s there.

I’d also like to add that iOS 11 now epecially 11.3 is perfectly fine and fast on my iPhone 7. I held off until 11.2.2 then jumped in and besides a few minor graphical bugs it’s been solid and battery life has been exactly the same for me maybe even a titch better now with 11.3. I am still a firm believer that the major iOS version your phone ships with is always the best for overall performance and yes that holds true here but it’s so minuscule this time around on my iPhone 7 since it’s so powerful that it does just fine on iOS 11. Usually you are fine to update the phones 1 time after their original release. My iPhone 6 was the best on iOS 8. Then 9 was just a titch slower but when I tried iOS 10 on it I had to downgrade it right away because I could feel the slow down majorly. I’m a little worried how my 7 will be on iOS 12 but I’ll give it a shot and if it’s slow than 11 I will downgrade right away. By then I maybe upgrading to the next gen X also. So we’ll see. But generally since owning the iPhone 4,5,6 and now 7 I’ve learned it’s best to only update it 1 time if you want to keep your performance the best. After 2 major updates you really start to feel the performance slip. At least on those phones I’ve owned. The 6S seems to plugging along nicely however on iOS 11. That phone has a significantly more powerful chip compared to my regular 6. So it doesn’t hurt to try right away and see and then downgrade if you don’t like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chazzle

dubstir

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2018
I am still running 10.3.3 on my 7+ and I also have a 5s running 11.3. I am hestitant to update my 7+ to iOS 11, based on the looks mostly, and some technical aspects.

So... do most of your thoughts and opinions about remaining on 10 still hold true?

dubstir

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2018
My biggest complaint about iOS 11 is that Apple decided to reduce screen real estate with stupidity. Like the app bar or gifs within text messages and also the HUGE titles within every app. I know that I am in the Mail or Notes app, I do not need a 25px font size telling I'm there. Then the title merges into its original top centered location when scrolled; very dumb. I find Control Center quite confusing to look at compared to iOS 10's clean Control Center.

Reactions: miragebg

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
I'm still on 10.3.3 on my iPhone 7 Plus. Do you think iOS 11.3 is finally up to par with 10.3.3? Since I haven't used iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus yet, I don't really know what the issues and glitches are and if everything's been fixed and sorted out yet.

Is it still laggy compared to iOS 10.3?
Are there still weird glitches?

For me, 10.3.3 is almost completely bug free (besides a few visual oddities).
I didn't personally see any noticeable difference in terms of laggyness after the update. If other people did, maybe it varies from model to model. (mine are older iPhones though, which could be why) 6S Plus and 5S. But same on both, Neither were leggier than before.
Did anyone notice the AppStore go completely offline the other night though? (wasn't related to the update though. Their whole website was down for an hour or two, even when accessed from my PC) just curious to see if anyone noticed.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
If you're on iOS 10 I'd say stick with it until iOS 12. iOS 11 is so buggy.

iPad 2018 with iOS 11.3

IxFcyXf.png

MacRumors does not display correctly.

QNLju26.png

YouTube App just froze

iOS 11.3 is buggy as hell.

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Stay on 10.3. Here on iOS 11.3 I had Snapchat and iMovie crashing for no reason at all. It happens often and this week has happened twice, and not only these two apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.