Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
QNLju26.png

YouTube App just froze

iOS 11.3 is buggy as hell.

How do you figure that YouTube’s bugs are on Apple?

Reactions: decafjava

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
How do you figure that YouTube’s bugs are on Apple?

Maybe not. It happens when I rotate the iPad, YouTube app does not display probably. Videos stopped play and crashed. After that, YouTube will just not load probably until restart iOS.

It may not be iOS bug, but things have been worse with iOS 11. App crash, rotation bug, Bluetooth not connect etc.

t81Gitt.jpg

ROTATION BUG

Last edited:

dubstir

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2018
I like Apple, I really do, but IMO they are losing sight of what's important and attempting to rush "new features" into their platform before anyone else; while making the simplest, everyday parts half-baked and inconsistent. They can call themselves innovative all they wish, but iOS's consistency took a nose dive with iOS 8/9. I would considering switching to another platform like Android, but my distaste for Google through the roof. I really liked my Palm Pre, darn Leo A.

Last edited:
Reactions: dysamoria and max2

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I don't want to start the whole home button delay debate again, but here are the facts.

With iOS 11, Apple added a very slight delay between when you hit the home button to close an app, and when the closing animation starts. With iOS 10, the closing animation began immediately upon tapping the home button, but the animation itself was slower than it is in iOS 11. End result is that the apps finish closing in the same amount of time in iOS 11 compared to iOS 10.

This was most likely implemented because in iOS 10, double clicking the home button to access the app switcher resulted in a weird looking jump in which the closing animation (initiated by the first click of the home button) was interrupted by the animation for the app switcher (second click) and some people thought it was bad UI.

Also, you'll find that unlike iOS 10, with iOS 11 there is no longer a difference in home button response speed whether you have the Accessibility Shortcut on or off.
And this is enough to make you want to stay on iOS 10? I guess I don’t understand.
[doublepost=1523976952][/doublepost]It’s been worth upgrading to iOS 11 since day one. Haven’t noticed any showstopping bugs, and the new features and security updates were always worth it.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
And this is enough to make you want to stay on iOS 10? I guess I don’t understand.
[doublepost=1523976952][/doublepost]It’s been worth upgrading to iOS 11 since day one. Haven’t noticed any showstopping bugs, and the new features and security updates were always worth it.
Nope, never indicated that. Just stated some facts so that people can understand what this whole home button delay was about.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Unless you need something in iOS 11, I would highly recommend staying with iOS 10. I updated to iOS 11 (iPhone 6s) last weekend just for *****/giggles, boy do I regret it. Battery life is absolutely terrible. I don't run that many apps (maybe a handful of apps I actually use) and none are running in the background but the battery loves to drain. And When I do decide to use apps, battery life be damned. iOS 10 was significantly better for my usage.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I like Apple, I really do, but IMO they are losing sight of what's important and attempting to rush "new features" into their platform before anyone else; while making the simplest, everyday parts half-baked and inconsistent. They can call themselves innovative all they wish, but iOS's consistency took a nose dive with iOS 8/9. I would considering switching to another platform like Android, but my distaste for Google through the roof. I really liked my Palm Pre, darn Leo A.

What new features? They’ve added so little and added so many bugs along the way it’s pretty dumb

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I wouldn't wish iOS 11 on my worst enemy and that includes 11.3. It only runs well on flagships.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I wouldn't wish iOS 11 on my worst enemy and that includes 11.3. It only runs well on flagships.

I have it on my iPad mini 2, which is hardly a flagship, and while it's not zippy on it, neither was iOS 10. And some of the improvements like Files, the new Dock, and the new flick keyboard shortcuts are a massive boon that I got… for free? For a years-old device? So that's pretty neat.

Reactions: jhall8

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
i have ONE compelling feature in mind that i want from iOS 11: the Inter-Device Audio + MIDI function. Specifically the MIDI mode. It should've been there when they put the Inter-Device Audio Mode in iOS 9, but they left it for two versions later. There's nothing else in iOS 11 that i care about (MAYBE the Files app). Having one cable connected to my Mac to integrate my iOS music apps' MIDI and audio is something i want (especially since Network MIDI has so much latency).

A slowed and buggier device is something i don't want. i have an iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen) and an iPhone 6s. iOS 10.3 is buggy enough already (and Apple never fixes any of the effing bugs i've reported since i moved to iOS 9 on my iPhone 6s from iOS 6.x on my iPhone 4).

The reports here on this thread aren't encouraging, either.

On top of that concern, i don't want to deal with incompatibilities between iOS and Mac. i'm on Sierra on both of my Macs and i have zero interest in moving to High Sierra with all of its bugs (mostly relating to APFS). My MacBook Pro wont even natively support it (i'd have to hack it on). The only reason i'm on Sierra and not El Capitan is Logic X 10.4 ditched El Cap. i don't want to find that Sierra cannot handle iCloud content (like Notes, Reminders, etc) on iOS 11.

Apple needs to stop bloating-up and bugging-up their software and focus on killing the bugs once and for all. It's been a downward spiral since iOS 7. So much broken **** in iOS is traced back to iOS 7. None of the bugs i experience and have reported have been fixed in over FOUR major releases.

Macinto$h

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
pure apple
Unless you need something in iOS 11, I would highly recommend staying with iOS 10. I updated to iOS 11 (iPhone 6s) last weekend just for *****/giggles, boy do I regret it. Battery life is absolutely terrible. I don't run that many apps (maybe a handful of apps I actually use) and none are running in the background but the battery loves to drain. And When I do decide to use apps, battery life be damned. iOS 10 was significantly better for my usage.

I have to agree. The battery life is very disappointing on 11.3. Why Apple keeps adding so much bloat, bells and whistles, I don't know. Just optimize the iOS and let us disable things we don't need to use, so the battery won't die due to having to keep recharging the sealed battery inside the device!

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
just because I am curious....

What kind of "more security" does IOS 11.3 have in comparison to IOS 10.3.3 (which I like a lot on my iPhone SE) ?

I thought the progress in security was (nearly) all about hardware-related?

Thanks for any answer about that...

(and saying with 10.3.3 as long as possible or as long as I am convinced that IOS 11 REALLY has more security ...)

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
just because I am curious....

What kind of "more security" does IOS 11.3 have in comparison to IOS 10.3.3 (which I like a lot on my iPhone SE) ?

I thought the progress in security was (nearly) all about hardware-related?

Thanks for any answer about that...

(and saying with 10.3.3 as long as possible or as long as I am convinced that IOS 11 REALLY has more security ...)
Really? Most security issues are software related.

dubstir

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2018
What new features? They’ve added so little and added so many bugs along the way it’s pretty dumb

Maybe "features" wasn't the best word choice. The Files app is complete crap, texts threads are cluttered with several options other than simple text, emojis are ruling the roost.

I would like to flick through iCloud Drive items, unable to swipe/flick in 2018 is tad archaic.
[doublepost=1524396632][/doublepost]
I have to agree. The battery life is very disappointing on 11.3. Why Apple keeps adding so much bloat, bells and whistles, I don't know. Just optimize the iOS and let us disable things we don't need to use, so the battery won't die due to having to keep recharging the sealed battery inside the device!

I second the disabling the things Apple believes everyone will "love".

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Really? Most security issues are software related.

You are quite right, but .... while writing the quoted post, I thought about hardware-integrated security - IIRC, there was a big step forward concerning hardware-related security from iPhone 5 to SE, or am I wrong?

cheers

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
It isn’t as amazing as everyone is saying it is, they are just excited because it is actually running OK now. The bar is so low with Apple’s software these days that any improvement that fixes some of their mess is seen as a god send, so people tend to go overboard with praise. It basically just made my 6S run like it already did on 10.3 but with worse battery life. There are still bugs and weird UI glitches that I keep noticing, still has janky frame rates, random hangs and app freezes. If you’re hoping for a magic fix with this then it isn’t it. You’ll have to wait for iOS 12 to see if that genuinely fixes things. However, 11.3 is an improvement over the other point updates but again that isn’t really saying much.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrAverigeUser

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Decided to do a clean restore to see if there are any changes to battery usage. Nope. Still terrible. Can't speak for anyone else, but iOS 11 is a dud for me. I was never a "wall-hugger" but now I actually have to be mindful of my battery and be somewhat close to a charging source. With iOS 10, my iPhone 6S was solid and had no intentions of switching phones until in completely died. iOS 11 has "killed" my iPhone and is now forcing me to upgrade to a newer phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Decided to do a clean restore to see if there are any changes to battery usage. Nope. Still terrible. Can't speak for anyone else, but iOS 11 is a dud for me. I was never a "wall-hugger" but now I actually have to be mindful of my battery and be somewhat close to a charging source. With iOS 10, my iPhone 6S was solid and had no intentions of switching phones until in completely died. iOS 11 has "killed" my iPhone and is now forcing me to upgrade to a newer phone.
Have you gotten your battery replaced under the replacement program this year?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not yet but I am very sceptical that it's going to do much if anything. Coconut battery reporting 89% battery capacity while the battery monitor in iOS is at 91%.

I use my phone as it's intended so I understand that the battery is going to be consumed but my problem is even at idle, the battery is decreasing more than it should (vs. iOS 10) and when using it, battery use is accelerating. I could do simple things like browsing (no video) or listening to music and I could see my battery drop 5-7% in minutes. If I watch videos through the YouTube app, bye bye battery life.

David_Ch

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
My god feeling tells me that from A9 to A11(less affected from AAPL said officially) share same signature behavior on consuming peak power(voltage) from battery and cannot read exact remaining capability of voltage peak on aging battery could provide after daily uses through available power management chip coming with battery module. So that’s why they need custom made power management chip for battery in such usage in the future. And root cause for the downgrade working frequency of CPU clock after iOS 10.2.2.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Quick rant, iOS 11.3 just ejected the same app twice (YouTube) within about a 5 minute span each time I locked the device. I had to navigate to the same video and correct time stamp 3 times because of this. Pretty annoying, my iPhone 4s with 512mb RAM can do better.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Quick rant, iOS 11.3 just ejected the same app twice (YouTube) within about a 5 minute span each time I locked the device. I had to navigate to the same video and correct time stamp 3 times because of this. Pretty annoying, my iPhone 4s with 512mb RAM can do better.

What device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.