Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Decided to do a clean restore to see if there are any changes to battery usage. Nope. Still terrible. Can't speak for anyone else, but iOS 11 is a dud for me. I was never a "wall-hugger" but now I actually have to be mindful of my battery and be somewhat close to a charging source. With iOS 10, my iPhone 6S was solid and had no intentions of switching phones until in completely died. iOS 11 has "killed" my iPhone and is now forcing me to upgrade to a newer phone.

Wow you guys weren’t kidding about diminished battery life. I updated my 6s from 10.3.3 to 11.3.1. Battery is 14 months old and is listed at 88% health. Usage time has dropped from 5.5hours to 3 hours. I guess I’ll have to lug around a backup battery pack everywhere. It’s 3:30pm and I’m almost drained. It’s mostly on WiFi too, I’m only on LTE for 10 mins in the car.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wow you guys weren’t kidding about diminished battery life. I updated my 6s from 10.3.3 to 11.3.1. Battery is 14 months old and is listed at 88% health. Usage time has dropped from 5.5hours to 3 hours. I guess I’ll have to lug around a backup battery pack everywhere. It’s 3:30pm and I’m almost drained. It’s mostly on WiFi too, I’m only on LTE for 10 mins in the car.
Might be good to get that battery replaced.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Just got battery replaced. iPhone 6+. 100% battery health. Still very bad battery life. I need to charge my phone TWICE a day now.

iOS 11.3 still ignores some notifications; Facebook Messenger and such apps that have phone/video call features don't even ring me anymore when someone is calling me, unless I try to go into the app and wait for 5 seconds for data to come in; weird UI glitches still noticeable now and then, and my screen still mysteriously prefers to go to landscape orientation even though I have the device perpetually locked to portrait; still has calculator app animation bugs that essentially make the calculator app useless unless all I really want to do is spend 10 minutes to do one simple string of calculations, it's ridiculous; last but not least, text messages are mysteriously swallowed up so they go missing for a short while until they mysteriously come back somehow on the phone.

And that's not just my iPhone 6+. My mom with her iPhone X is also complaining about unresponsive interface (the touch screen does not respond when she tries to answer a call, or the phone is ringing but the screen is dark); lost text messages just like the above; and 3rd-party calling apps not notifying her of anything until she went into their settings.

In fact, if it's not a default app, almost anything will have a slight delay (3-5 seconds) before notifications come in, and that is if/when notifications work. This delay is obvious since I am signed in to my iPad and Android devices as well. The iPad staying on 10.3.3 is pretty much perfect.

^ so there, just swapped my main SIM card over to one of my Android phones, and it's probably going to stay there now until Apple figures out a way to deal with themselves.

On 10.3.3, my iPhone was far more responsive and stable than my Android devices. The situation is now reversed.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010

Don't expect any noticeable improvements from replacing the battery. My battery was at 86% when I replaced it, and I did not see any difference. With 6s and iOS 11, battery drain is there even if your battery is at 100%.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I’d stay on iOS 10. Though I do think that 11.3 is pretty good on my 7, if you do make the leap, I think that doing a full wipe and reinstall is a good idea, as well.

And iOS 11 doesn’t really add that much.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't expect any noticeable improvements from replacing the battery. My battery was at 86% when I replaced it, and I did not see any difference. With 6s and iOS 11, battery drain is there even if your battery is at 100%.
Are you saying it's not any better than with the older battery that was worse off? Seems like even with everything else being the same, a battery at 100% capacity/health should be noticeably better than one at 86% (the difference might not be huge, but it should be noticeable).

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
What a bummer. I have an iPhone 6S with 10.3.3, and I have no complaints about battery life (my only slight complaint is it's taking - seems to me - slightly longer to charge). But I wanted to take advantage of getting a free battery replacement from Apple later this year. UNFORTUNATELY, from what I understand, Apple will not give you a new battery unless you are up to date on the latest iOS version, so I can't just stay on 10.3.3 and get a free battery.

And here I'm reading that even with a new battery, older phones, such as my 6S the battery life sucks majorly on 11 compared to 10.3.3. What a disappointment. I've been holding off on upgrading to 11 until they solved the battery life problem, but it sounds like at least so far, the 11 is still terrible battery life-wise!

I guess I can only hope they'll solve the problem before the free replacement program ends at the end of 2018... but my hope is waning given how Apple has not done anything to solve this issue so far. Thoughts?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What a bummer. I have an iPhone 6S with 10.3.3, and I have no complaints about battery life (my only slight complaint is it's taking - seems to me - slightly longer to charge). But I wanted to take advantage of getting a free battery replacement from Apple later this year. UNFORTUNATELY, from what I understand, Apple will not give you a new battery unless you are up to date on the latest iOS version, so I can't just stay on 10.3.3 and get a free battery.

And here I'm reading that even with a new battery, older phones, such as my 6S the battery life sucks majorly on 11 compared to 10.3.3. What a disappointment. I've been holding off on upgrading to 11 until they solved the battery life problem, but it sounds like at least so far, the 11 is still terrible battery life-wise!

I guess I can only hope they'll solve the problem before the free replacement program ends at the end of 2018... but my hope is waning given how Apple has not done anything to solve this issue so far. Thoughts?
Not so sure about being on the latest to get a new battery. Now, if something doesn't go right with the battery change it might require a reset/restore or something like that, in which case the latest version would be used, but beyond that it's hard to say if everyone is really following a particular policy of requiring the latest version to be installed.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
Can anyone with an iPhone 7 Plus shed some light on iOS 11.3? I'm still on 10.3.3 and I've got an itch to switch. Would I be making a mistake?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can anyone with an iPhone 7 Plus shed some light on iOS 11.3? I'm still on 10.3.3 and I've got an itch to switch. Would I be making a mistake?
Seems like this thread basically covers the kind of thing that you are asking about.

Reactions: nmeed

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
Are you saying it's not any better than with the older battery that was worse off? Seems like even with everything else being the same, a battery at 100% capacity/health should be noticeably better than one at 86% (the difference might not be huge, but it should be noticeable).

It was not noticeable at all

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It was not noticeable at all
That's fairly odd that a new battery at full capacity and health wouldn't perform at least somewhat better than a fairly worn out (although still viable) battery.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010

I switched to my old iPhone SE on 10.2.1. Wow it can go 9+ hours, triple of what the 6s with a newer battery can last. I forgot how nice the smaller form factor feels, gonna stick with it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I switched to my old iPhone SE on 10.2.1. Wow it can go 9+ hours, triple of what the 6s with a newer battery can last. I forgot how nice the smaller form factor feels, gonna stick with it.
A 6s with a new battery can only do about 3 or so hours? That doesn't sound right.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
That's fairly odd that a new battery at full capacity and health wouldn't perform at least somewhat better than a fairly worn out (although still viable) battery.

I really don't care anymore: at that time it was still possible to downgrade, and on iOS 10.3.3 my 6s has pretty good battery life. I just wish people would stop misleading other users by claiming that replacing the battery is the solution for older iPhones that have battery drain issues on iOS 11. It's not.
[doublepost=1525384931][/doublepost]
A 6s with a new battery can only do about 3 or so hours? That doesn't sound right.

My son's 6s has a battery at 92%. On iOS 11.3, he gets under 4 hours of usage. Yes, he uses social media apps a lot, but before 11.3 it was closer to 5. And on 10.3.3 it was about 6 hours.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
If you're not on iOS 11 yet and none of your apps require iOS 11, I'd honestly wait for iOS 12. iOS 11 is a buggy and unstable mess. On my 6 Plus I've noticed some better speed than iOS 10, but not worth updating as iOS 12 is only a few months away.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I really don't care anymore: at that time it was still possible to downgrade, and on iOS 10.3.3 my 6s has pretty good battery life. I just wish people would stop misleading other users by claiming that replacing the battery is the solution for older iPhones that have battery drain issues on iOS 11. It's not.
[doublepost=1525384931][/doublepost]

My son's 6s has a battery at 92%. On iOS 11.3, he gets under 4 hours of usage. Yes, he uses social media apps a lot, but before 11.3 it was closer to 5. And on 10.3.3 it was about 6 hours.
iOS 11 has completely wrecked battery life on older iPhones. If my X could run iOS 10.3.3 I bet it could last at least 3 hours more. iOS 11 is beyond rescue at this point. Let's hope 12 is better.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
What APFS bug would affect you?

I keep seeing more bugs mentioned the more I read about High Sierra. For starters, I run a mixed environment where I cannot upgrade older machines and their storage devices (apparently the various disk tools and command line tools are inconsistent between Sierra and High Sierra in their HFS+ and APFS support, to the point where each system seems to prefer its own native file system and suck at the other's; Sierra's APFS is beta level and High Sierra's HFS+ support is crippled in disk utility).

Other issues come from the fact that I run software that isn't the bleeding edge (because I'm poor and cannot afford to throw away working machines and software just to have a unified Apple ecosystem across all systems I use, and Adobe will never get a subscription fee from me). Between unsupported uses of private APIs, bugs in APIs, bugs in APFS, and whatever other cases, there are considerable issues out there that only exist in High Sierra due to APFS (and probably other bugs and regressions).

Today I learned that Time Machine and RAID isn't supported on APFS.

Writing APFS sparse disk images for backups and distributing software packages is vulnerable to an idiotic ignorance of the host file volume's free space.

Web browser history won't clear (never fixed in iOS 10.3.3, still not fixed in iOS 11.x, apparently also an issue on Mac OS). Since this is with Apple's own Safari and system tools, this is pretty egregious and no Apple news site feels this privacy breech is worth writing a news article about it.

Support for spinning drives is reportedly still questionable.

Color profile file reading problems with native apps, possibly related to APFS.

Apparently there are still case sensitivity issues floating around (Unix expects case sensitive-file systems, which is part of the dumb Unix legacy never cleaned up, Mac OS software expects case-preserving but not sensitivity, which is, by the way, the correct and human way of doing it).

Oh and the engineer who wrote APFS decided checksums for data was unnecessary (just for metadata), despite being advised otherwise by other file systems experts. I don't know why he made this naive presumption. One flipped bit and data gets corrupted.

Seeing as he did such a great job with BeOS's BFS, I expected more from him than this (then again, BeOS never got, in all its years, the level of use that Mac OS gets in one, so maybe BFS is still loaded with bugs no one has exposed... especially when the OS lacked mission-critical and robust software packages for heavy industry use in the first place).

Etc. Apple's willingness to ignore bugs in order to prioritize selling new hardware with yearly OS updates disgusts me as a user and has lead to a hash tag I just saw today: #peakbugs

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
OK, let me repeat: what APFS bug would actually affect you? Not what bug have you heard about, not what design choices do you disagree with, not what features aren’t there yet, not what bugs entirely unrelated to APFS also exist. No, what APFS bug affects you? Do you use sparse images?

allo123

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2018
Hi, I have bored to connect iPhone Bluetooth to my car stereo too. As for this problem, now I have downloaded all my Apple Music songs to USB stick and play them without Bluetooth connection. In the process of transfer Apple Music to USB stick, You should remove DRM protection from Apple Music by AudFree Apple Music Converter,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.