Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1k9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
I installed iOS 11.4 to sync my messages between iPad,iPhone and Mac. Is there an up date to the Mac for messages to be synced in the cloud with my other devices? I deleted a message on my iMac but it still shows on my iPad. What do I need to do to have the same messages on all devices including my Mac?

Ok as an up date, messages is working on all my devices (iPhone, iPads). After installing the update you must go to iCloud in settings and turn on messages. After that it took a short while for everything to become synchronized. I had to plug in my iPads to get it to work.
Now I’m just waiting for the iMac update.

Last edited:

txmade

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Is there anything special you have to do to have the devices sync? My Ipad is not showing the same messages as my iphone. Both just updated to 11.4. I was under the assumption all messages would sync and message history would be the same for all devices, is that not correct??

Also my ipad is showing older messages compared to my iphone.

Reactions: 1k9

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Is there anything special you have to do to have the devices sync? My Ipad is not showing the same messages as my iphone. Both just updated to 11.4. I was under the assumption all messages would sync and message history would be the same for all devices, is that not correct??

Also my ipad is showing older messages compared to my iphone.

You need to turn it on in Settings, first. Then wait a bit for it to sync. You will see some status language in the messages app as your messages are "uploading".

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
You need to turn it on in Settings, first. Then wait a bit for it to sync. You will see some status language in the messages app as your messages are "uploading".

I'm not seeing that the Messages app is doing anything on my end. I had installed iOS 11.3 beta previously, and 11 beta last summer, where I tried using Messages in iCloud beforehand. I'm wondering if there is trapped or corrupt data from that beta cycle that is ruining this functionality from working as intended with 11.4 final.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I'm not seeing that the Messages app is doing anything on my end. I had installed iOS 11.3 beta previously, and 11 beta last summer, where I tried using Messages in iCloud beforehand. I'm wondering if there is trapped or corrupt data from that beta cycle that is ruining this functionality from working as intended with 11.4 final.
Possibly? I didn't try/use this beta. It is definitely working for me though.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
So i activated the feature on my ipad and my iphone

plugged them both on AC (saw the sync message) But I don<t see anything special. I already in a sense had all my imessage on both devices. So what am I suppose to see (to make sure it worked)?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Mine is working between my iphone X and my iPP (gen 1 12.9"), but not with my series 0 watch. I'm assuming there isn't a setting to turn on cloud sync'ing with the watch?

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Fair to assume all devices must have iCloud iMessage sync enabled, and all devices must subsequently perform an iCloud backup, minimum

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Fair to assume all devices must have iCloud iMessage sync enabled, and all devices must subsequently perform an iCloud backup, minimum

Yes. But, I see no option on the iphone to have iCloud iMessage sync.

My iPad was already on (I had beta) but I had to turn it on, on my X.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Mine is working between my iphone X and my iPP (gen 1 12.9"), but not with my series 0 watch. I'm assuming there isn't a setting to turn on cloud sync'ing with the watch?

Messages have never syncd with the Apple Watch. I have no idea why but they do not.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Where do we enable "Messages in the Cloud"? I don't even see this in Messages within Settings.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Messages have never syncd with the Apple Watch. I have no idea why but they do not.

They have never officially sync'ed (icloud) before now, on any device. Isn't that what the icloud is about now?

I have never been able to delete a message on one device and it would automatically remove from my other devices. When I turned on imessages on a new device, it would only restore from a backup, messages that came in between would be lost.
[doublepost=1527623718][/doublepost]
Where do we enable "Messages in the Cloud"? I don't even see this in Messages within Settings.

Settings/Click on the top option (your name, Apple ID, iCloud)/iCloud/iMessages

mporcheron

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
FWIW I had to restart my iPhone after enabling Messages in the Cloud, as the sync didn't start by itself. About a minute after typing in my password into my phone, the sync started.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
They have never officially sync'ed (icloud) before now, on any device. Isn't that what the icloud is about now?

I have never been able to delete a message on one device and it would automatically remove from my other devices. When I turned on imessages on a new device, it would only restore from a backup, messages that came in between would be lost.
[doublepost=1527623718][/doublepost]

Settings/Click on the top option (your name, Apple ID, iCloud)/iCloud/iMessages

Yes, I did that. It didn't do anything. I was under the impression you had to turn the functionality on within iCloud settings, but then separately in Messages as well.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Does anyone have a “Zero KB” conversations in the messages section of iCloud? I have around 150 MB of messages and apparently they are synced.

Reactions: Mcmeowmers

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
So i activated the feature on my ipad and my iphone

plugged them both on AC (saw the sync message) But I don<t see anything special. I already in a sense had all my imessage on both devices. So what am I suppose to see (to make sure it worked)?
Delete a message on one device and see if it’s deleted on the other. If that works, then you are fine. (If you don’t want to delete a whole thread you can just delete a single message inside a thread, that works as well.)

I also want to stress out that for me it originally took 3 days before everything was synced on all units (1 iPad, 1 iPhone and 1 Mac). So relax everyone in this thread... it needs it’s time to work its magic :)

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Delete a message on one device and see if it’s deleted on the other. If that works, then you are fine. (If you don’t want to delete a whole thread you can just delete a single message inside a thread, that works as well.)

I also want to stress out that for me it originally took 3 days before everything was synced on all units (1 iPad, 1 iPhone and 1 Mac). So relax everyone in this thread... it needs it’s time to work its magic :)

That works and strangely it works with normal sms too

My issue is the backup part

If I go to conversation on the iCloud backup my phone says 192 mb and iPad says 390mb lol
[doublepost=1527627274][/doublepost]
Does anyone have a “Zero KB” conversations in the messages section of iCloud? I have around 150 MB of messages and apparently they are synced.

do a backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.