Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWanker

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Can someone confirm that this feature is OFF by default?
I want to upgrade, but no intention of using messages in the cloud - I like being able to keep all conversations on mac but delete some from phone (appreciate every user is different but thats just how I work).

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Can someone confirm that this feature is OFF by default?
I want to upgrade, but no intention of using messages in the cloud - I like being able to keep all conversations on mac but delete some from phone (appreciate every user is different but thats just how I work).

Off by default

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Turned it on on my iPhone and my iCloud storage showed about 360MB. After turning on my iPad, that storage jumped to over 600MB. Will these eventually merge in iCloud, or should I expect it to jump even higher when I add my iMac, MBP and Mini after 10.13.5 comes out? That just seems like a bad deal if they aren't merging.

wanderlust19283

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't see a way to actually enable this. I'm looking under Settings -> accounts and passwords -> iCloud. There's no toggle for messages. Anyone else having this issue?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
What's new about iMessages in the cloud? It's always synced across all my devices. Can we access imessages from iCloud now?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Turned it on on my iPhone and my iCloud storage showed about 360MB. After turning on my iPad, that storage jumped to over 600MB. Will these eventually merge in iCloud, or should I expect it to jump even higher when I add my iMac, MBP and Mini after 10.13.5 comes out? That just seems like a bad deal if they aren't merging.

I’m seeing the same exact thing. It seems to be treated messages from my iPhone and iPad separately. Modem addition, there’s nothing listed under conversations which is showing as 0 KB.

I had deleted a two sent messages on my iPhone on Saturday, but they are still on my iPad. I expected this to sync up with either the messages downloading back to my iPhone or being removed from my iPad. Neither is happening.

Deleting messages, half works. If I delete a sent message it disappears off both my devices. If I delete a received one it doesn’t. I don’t get a notice that it will be deleted off all my devices either.

Finally if I go into the backup of my iPhone it says photo library is backed up as part of iCloud photo, but has no mention of Messages. Messages doesn’t show up under the choose data to back up though.

Last edited:

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
So after enabling Messages in the cloud I now have "other" taking up all this space. Shouldn't this be messages? I am confused. How do I fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_5962.jpeg
    IMG_5962.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 319

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Who here has experience turning this on with having a Messages history dating back to 2008? My iPhone has texts all the way back that far and then I have history on the iPad and on my Macs. I know there are some differences between the two, but I don't want to lose any old messages due to syncing.

As a frame of reference, my Messages database takes up 8.68 GBs on my iPhone

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
When I restarted my iPad, the conversation size changed from 92 MB to 0 kB despite some conversations still showing up. Still no conversations on my iPhone.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
When I restarted my iPad, the conversation size changed from 92 MB to 0 kB despite some conversations still showing up. Still no conversations on my iPhone.
Mine is showing 0 KB as well, even though it states there is just over 624MB of messages in my cloud storage. As far as I know, my messages have finished uploading to the cloud. I no longer see the uploading message when I turn on Wifi to check.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
If you have many messages, you have to wait a bit to see all your messages between all your devices.

For me, I had to wait until the next day to see all my messages being sync. I think it will upload when your phone or ipad are plugged.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Messages in iCloud hasnt changed for me yet since the very first time it was attempted to be added months ago, still showing broken size and less than 20% of my message threads (they are all there and fine on the device in messages app).

Attachments

• IMG_6766.PNG
    IMG_6766.PNG
    181.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_6767.PNG
    IMG_6767.PNG
    219.8 KB · Views: 258

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Who here has experience turning this on with having a Messages history dating back to 2008? My iPhone has texts all the way back that far and then I have history on the iPad and on my Macs. I know there are some differences between the two, but I don't want to lose any old messages due to syncing.

As a frame of reference, my Messages database takes up 8.68 GBs on my iPhone
Why don’t you save it down to pdf?

There’s a number of apps that do that. Probably even for free.

As I have iMazing I know it does it: https://imazing.com/guides/how-to-save-iphone-text-messages-sms-and-imessages-to-your-computer

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
iCloud says my messages take up 7.8 gbs.
Conversations are 0 kb.

Phone storage says Messages is taking 6.12 gb.
Conversations are 5.41 gb.

I have no idea if what I’m seeing is how this is supposed to work or not.
I sort of thought the whole point of Messages in the Cloud was I’d get back the phone storage.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
They have never officially sync'ed (icloud) before now, on any device. Isn't that what the icloud is about now?

I have never been able to delete a message on one device and it would automatically remove from my other devices. When I turned on imessages on a new device, it would only restore from a backup, messages that came in between would be lost.
[doublepost=1527623718][/doublepost]

Settings/Click on the top option (your name, Apple ID, iCloud)/iCloud/iMessages

That was my point kind of the watch messages have never synced which they should with or without iCloud in the settings I have mirror my iPhone so if I delete a message on my phone it should delete from the watch. If I delete and email it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.