Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I've had a lot of issues with deleted messages not deleting across all devices. All are up-to-date with the latest OS.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I’ve noticed this too but only very rarely majority of time it works well

It seems to delete correctly more frequently when I delete from my iPhone. If I delete from my iMac or MacBook, it doesn't delete on my iPhone. I've turned it off/on, signed out, logged back in, rebooted, etc. Still not working properly.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
It seems to delete correctly more frequently when I delete from my iPhone. If I delete from my iMac or MacBook, it doesn't delete on my iPhone. I've turned it off/on, signed out, logged back in, rebooted, etc. Still not working properly.
Maybe log feedback with Apple on the feedback website

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
im noticing tongiht some conversations from certain people aren't appearing on the mac wierdly
[doublepost=1531000853][/doublepost]Seems to synced now to Mac just took ages and I had to turn it on and off about 3 times and finally the messages appeared from today

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
Decided to upgrade my iPhone 6 Plus on Thursday to iOS 11.4.1 and on the whole the phone is coping well.

Also I cleared out lots of unwanted message attachments and turned on Messages in iCloud and left it and it has appeared to have uploaded 104.7mb of data. Unlike my iPhone my iPad never had a comprehensive message history so decided to delete every message on the iPad manually and I then turned on the messages in iCloud. On the good side it’s restored every conversation thread, the number of entries match the iPhone and all historical SMS and iMessage pre dating the iPad have come through fine. The only snag is that I’m missing iMessage and SMS messages for Friday (yesterday) on the iPad. Since turning on message in iCloud on the iPad all new messages are syncing correctly.

Do you think these messages will reappear at some random time?

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
It takes several days for all messages to initially sync.
That’s good. Yes I’ve noticed this too on the Mac eventually they did show but took about an hour I tried turning off messages in iCloud and back On again that seemed to have helped. You may need text message forwarding on in message settings I wouldn’t imagine you would but just have it on in case see if that works

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I either missed this or decided not to turn this on years ago. Tonight I was backing up my SE in preparation for turning on my new Mini. I realized Messages was not turned on in iCloud and turned it on, not realizing it was a later feature. I kind of thought it got turned off on a hard reset this past spring.

I haven't run out of space in iCloud but I now have about less Message space showing on the phone. I won't burn myself by turning it back off later? Has it been improved since 2018?

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I either missed this or decided not to turn this on years ago. Tonight I was backing up my SE in preparation for turning on my new Mini. I realized Messages was not turned on in iCloud and turned it on, not realizing it was a later feature. I kind of thought it got turned off on a hard reset this past spring.

I haven't run out of space in iCloud but I now have about less Message space showing on the phone. I won't burn myself by turning it back off later? Has it been improved since 2018?
In my experience it's always been a bit flakey. I've used it since 11.4 day one, and updated to all iOS versions/iPhones to be released since then - consistently, up to and including iOS 15, I have had messages reappear that I'd previously deleted. I also will still have messages and attachments take up phone storage as well randomly, and I still haven't worked out exactly how it decides what is stored where or how to change it.

Reactions: diane143

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
In my experience it's always been a bit flakey. I've used it since 11.4 day one, and updated to all iOS versions/iPhones to be released since then - consistently, up to and including iOS 15, I have had messages reappear that I'd previously deleted. I also will still have messages and attachments take up phone storage as well randomly, and I still haven't worked out exactly how it decides what is stored where or how to change it.
The whole thing can be a little weird. As I said, I've never used it before yet in upgrades and phone replacements, my messages have always come over.

Right now I'm showing 429mb in Messages, down from over 5gb. Some could be from the screenshot bug. But going into random threads I still see pix. Baffled!

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I love messages in the cloud, but it’s not real flakey if you turn it on for one device at a t8me and let that device sync messages fully, before turning it on with another device. Doing it one device at a time, waiting till each one finishes, means you don’t have a Mac, iPad, and iPhone all trying to upload and download (sync) 3 different databases of years worth of messages all at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.