Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I don't think it will (but with the caveat that I don't work for Apple. I really can't believe they haven't released any documentation/guidance on how this feature actually works). My understanding is that syncing of deletes only goes into effect for deletions you make after enabling Messages in iCloud on your devices.

If you care a lot about these messages then I would do an unencrypted iTunes backup of the device that has them and save that backup for a while, just in case.

I assume if you say unencrypted backup, that means I could possibly retrieve the message thread without having to restore the backup to a device?

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
This is a great idea in concept, but I've turned it off for now. I've had too many issues in the first few days where iMessages will show up on my MBP and iPad, but not my phone. OF course, that's the one place I need them to show up since I have that on me pretty much all the time. I tried the "Sync Now" button from my Messages app on the MBP, but those messages never showed up. Maybe on the next go-around if bugs similar to these are worked out!

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I assume if you say unencrypted backup, that means I could possibly retrieve the message thread without having to restore the backup to a device?

EDIT: Oops, I misread your post. I don't know how feasible it is to pull a single thread from a messages database and add it to another. It's probably able to be done because those files are just databases. But I don't know the exact procedure. I'm leaving my original post below because not many people know that the Messages data file is cross-compatible between MacOS and iOS.

Yes, I actually used that method a couple years ago to bring my entire Messages database from my iPhone to my Macs (this was before Apple announced they were going to cloudify it). It's sort of a pain in the ass, but it can be done.

I think I used this guide (https://denbeke.be/blog/mac/exporting-messages-and-attachments-from-iphone-to-mac/) but can't totally remember. I do know I purchased iExplorer because I couldn't get any of the free options I found to work.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
This is a great idea in concept, but I've turned it off for now. I've had too many issues in the first few days where iMessages will show up on my MBP and iPad, but not my phone. OF course, that's the one place I need them to show up since I have that on me pretty much all the time. I tried the "Sync Now" button from my Messages app on the MBP, but those messages never showed up. Maybe on the next go-around if bugs similar to these are worked out!

From what I can tell the actually delivery of messages hasn't changed. Messages are still sent to all devices logged in with the same Apple ID. It's just sync deletes and syncs messages that were out of sync when MitC was first enabled.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
Everything works great (iPhone X, iPad, two iMacs, MacBook Pro)...except on the computers, there's a period between April 22 and June 6 where absolutely NO Messages download. I think they upload...because when I first turn activate 'Enable Messages in iCloud', I can see the messages populate...but then that whole period of time just disappears.

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
How exactly do I keep a copy in the cloud safely but delete them off the phone. If I go into messages and click delete will this delete them off just the phone /device or will it delete them from the cloud as well
[doublepost=1529367160][/doublepost]
That doesn’t seem to be the case as one conversation takes up a few KB, which isn’t close to being one of the largest. I’m pretty sure it’s based on number of messages and not size.

The whole size thing is just wrong anyway. My 100 MB of messages is taking up 270 MB of space for some reason.

I read that in an article I found online. I’ve noticed it tends to only be messages that contains pictures in this “conversations” tab

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I read that in an article I found online. I’ve noticed it tends to only be messages that contains pictures in this “conversations” tab

That’s also not the case as the one conversation that is a few KB doesn’t contain any pictures.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Does anyone see this as a push for more people to pay for extra iCloud storage?

I tried syncing messages and it takes about 4x the "local" storage with multiple devices syncing. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I’m fairly certain that’s a bug or at the very least a design flaw. I have a feeling Messages In the Cloud was designed for users either with one device or who never used iMessage before.

It appears to have to upload all messages from all devices and then does some voodoo to figure out what the duplicates are, but never returns the iCloud space used by all those uploads. I’m hoping that gets fixed or that maybe after 30 days the space will be returned.

Last edited:
Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Does anyone see this as a push for more people to pay for extra iCloud storage?

I tried syncing messages and it takes about 4x the "local" storage with multiple devices syncing. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

This will save space for many. Messages are no longer in your back ups. I had 3 devices using a total of 4.5 gb for back ups. Now they are using 750 mb.

Unfortunately I made a mistake when I first turned on messages in iCloud. I sync them before cleaning them up, turned it off and then back on. So I have 4 gb in messages on iCloud but 200 mb local. I think (not sure) now that I deleted them all and now everything is sync’d they are being retained for 30 days (per Apple docs) before it will clean itself up. That’s the hope anyway.
[doublepost=1529714069][/doublepost]
I’m hoping that gets fixed or that maybe after 30 days the space will be returned.

I’m thinking this as well. Didn’t read your post before replying.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Downgraded from 12 beta to 11.4 and couldn’t restore from a recent iCloud backup. At first, it was really spotty. But after letting it restore all night, it worked pretty well. Some smaller threads were missing. My main thread between my chick and I, for the most part, restored. But I’m missing about a chunk of messages from May 4 to June 5.

Works pretty well. Not as good as I expect from an Apple service.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I have an iPad and an iPhone 6S on the latest iOS 11 release and messages just won’t sync between them. I mean some do and some don’t. Not that impressed with it thus far!

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I have an iPad and an iPhone 6S on the latest iOS 11 release and messages just won’t sync between them. I mean some do and some don’t. Not that impressed with it thus far!

I had this experience as well with an iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5". I had like... 6 conversations that would sync between devices and show on iCloud, but the rest wouldn't. This is why I disabled it.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
I’m fairly certain that’s a bug or at the very least a design flaw. I have a feeling Messages In the Cloud was designed for users either with one device or who never used iMessage before.

It appears to have to upload all messages from all devices and then does some voodoo to figure out what the duplicates are, but never returns the iCloud space used by all those uploads. I’m hoping that gets fixed or that maybe after 30 days the space will be returned.

I feel it works extremely well only complaint i have is that stupid "Conversations" Query

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Mine seems to have been working near perfectly between a phone, an iPad and a Mac, though I've got a relatively small 10.5GB Messages database.

For the folks having issues: how big are your message db's?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Mine is definitely not working. Mac, iPhone, Watch, all on the latest betas. I delete a thread on one, doesn't delete on the other two. This happens no matter which device I delete from. Annoying.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
Mine is definitely not working. Mac, iPhone, Watch, all on the latest betas. I delete a thread on one, doesn't delete on the other two. This happens no matter which device I delete from. Annoying.
That’s wierd I know it doesn’t delete from the watch as they support it yet. Maybe it’s a bug

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
I'd somehow missed that about the Watch. I wonder if the fact that there's a watch in the loop somehow prevents it from functioning.
Yes I agree it’s really annoying when I send a text they appear on the watch but just don’t delete but that functionality did work for a while just not the deleting feature

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Yes I agree it’s really annoying when I send a text they appear on the watch but just don’t delete but that functionality did work for a while just not the deleting feature

Gotcha yes and same - Sent/Received messages appear on the Watch, just not Deleted. TBH the Delete function is of greatest interest and use for me. I hate clutter in message apps.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
Gotcha yes and same - Sent/Received messages appear on the Watch, just not Deleted. TBH the Delete function is of greatest interest and use for me. I hate clutter in message apps.
Yeah I agree thankfully it seems to work well for me I just understand that conversations bug in settings it doesn’t seem to effect anything at least that I’m noticing

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The Watch is a companion device. There isn't enough storage available for it to remained sync. Also the messages are automatically deleted after ~30 days on the Apple Watch. Plus the messages aren't actually identical, for example images have reduced resolution.

Combine those things and you'd Apple Watch owners would have more of a burden on their hands than a blessing. If messages sync but automatically deleted after ~30 days then ALL your iCloud devices would lose messages after 30 days and all your devices would be limited for message storage by the Watch. Plus it would be using more iCloud space since the Watch has a low res version of pictures.

That said I don't think a delete sync is out of the question. It wouldn't be quite the same but might be better than nothing for many people. Personally I don't care about messages on the Watch, read them, respond if necessary and let them automatically delete.

I did have a problem with Messages in iCloud though. It was using 4.9gb iCloud space even though I only had 200mb on my devices. When I disabled and deleted the storage was immediately returned. Turned it back on and everything was perfect.....almost.

IMG_0103.png

IMG_0104.png

On my work iPad I had a notification badge for 2 unread messages with no messages.

Tried everything, no messages on any other devices, closed and reopened app, turned the notifications off and back on, reset, had messages sent to me and tried "edit" "read all". In the end I had to restore from an iCloud backup which seemed to fix it.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I find Messages in iCloud works, but uses too much iCloud storage. I have 96 MB of conversations according to the iCloud storage, but MiiC is using 270 MB of space. I went through and checked what was in all my messages and there were some photos, but nothing that would explain a quarter of a GB of storage.

I had hoped that after 30 days it would clear itself up, but it didn’t. Basically there’s about 165 MB of wasted space. What’s odder is storage seems to increase despite deleting photos.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
I find Messages in iCloud works, but uses too much iCloud storage. I have 96 MB of conversations according to the iCloud storage, but MiiC is using 270 MB of space. I went through and checked what was in all my messages and there were some photos, but nothing that would explain a quarter of a GB of storage.

I had hoped that after 30 days it would clear itself up, but it didn’t. Basically there’s about 165 MB of wasted space. What’s odder is storage seems to increase despite deleting photos.

Yeah I’ve noticed this same issue with the 2 different storage amounts it’s odd but works well otherwise

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.