Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does iOS 11stutter with your iphone?

• Yes use an iPhone 6 or earlier model

• Yes use an iPhone 6s or later

• Yes use an iPad Air 2 or earlier

• Yes use an iPad Pro or later

• No Apple did a tremendous job!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Johnedlt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Manila
Incredible how much this update stutters.... on my iPhone 6 especially. I’ll tell you one thing Tim, I will not buy a new iPhone because your update screwed up my phone!!!! I will however consider buying one if you fix this.

My iPad Pro stutters too but not as much. Steve will turn over in his grave!!!!

Bar older device from updates if you can’t make it work properly. I will rather run my phone on an older rom than have the latest one but breaks it.
[doublepost=1506089847][/doublepost]And yes I’m not a noob here. Just lost my account.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I wouldn’t say Apple did a tremendous job. While I have no performance issues, I have location issues on the iPad Pro. Still, it has been a dodgy release. Stupid me diving straight in. It works well on the iPhone 7.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
My iPhone 6 and iPad Pro both have stuttering issues. Given the range of performance, it doesn’t seem to be hardware related.

Reactions: davelees76

Johnedlt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Manila
I just think that if there is anything Apple devices differ from the rest is they are fast, responsive and buttery smooth. That’s why I left windows, don’t consider android and pay a substantial premium.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Minor stuttering (we’re talking very minor) on my iPhone 7 Plus when using 3D Touch. Otherwise, the phone runs smooth. No faster or no slower than iOS 10.3 overall. It’s perfect on my iPad Pro 10.5 so far.

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
Stutters sometimes especially when exiting a app(safari etc.) or going into the multi task page. iPhone 7 too, clean install.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I tried the Smart Invert colors feature after watching a few videos on it, and it’s still not a viable dark theme for the phone because no websites utilize the proper dark theme. And more on point, I noticed it caused my phone to lag a little more.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I tried the Smart Invert colors feature after watching a few videos on it, and it’s still not a viable dark theme for the phone because no websites utilize the proper dark theme. And more on point, I noticed it caused my phone to lag a little more.
Yes, that lags a lot!

Reactions: tech21 and GuruZac

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
seen some minor stutters, my bigger concern is I've had to hard reboot my 6s about 10 times since updating to iOS 11 due to screen locking up. That is about 10 more lockups than I ever had with 10.3.3

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Wow really? That makes me feel better, not that iPhone 8 users have the issue per se, but that it is likely a software bug. I didn’t think iOS 11 would be taxing the A10 chip anytime soon.

It isn’t taxing the A10, or the A9 in the SE. These are phones that can last 4 or 5 years in performance. Even more if planned obsolescence wasn’t a thing...

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It isn’t taxing the A10, or the A9 in the SE. These are phones that can last 4 or 5 years in performance. Even more if planned obsolescence wasn’t a thing...
Well my main point is that the animations were slow on the iPhone 8 too, how does that prove planned obsolescence? I think you may not be following, lol

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
It’s a disgrace. A brand new iPhone or any new flagship for that matter should not lag whatsoever in 2017. There is no excuse for it. Apple’s quality control dips more and more every year. Did we hear about iPhones stuttering with the 4, 4s and 5? No. It’s the iOS 7 redesign that Apple decided to do in 2013 that f*cked everything up. Now the cracks are really starting to show. Unless Fortsall comes back then expect more of this. The fact that the day has come where Android is now smoother than iOS (which I never thought I’d see) speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Johnedlt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Manila
Another observation apps open longer particularly messaging. We’re taking windows 7 or something slow here...

witherwings

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
London
I got my hands on an iPhone 8 and even with that phone it stutters from time to time.

True that since beta 1 to GM iOS 11 the iOS 11 got much better performance, but still feel that it is not fluid yet and it should remain beta a longer time, maybe until Beta 12 or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.