Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does iOS 11stutter with your iphone?

• Yes use an iPhone 6 or earlier model

• Yes use an iPhone 6s or later

• Yes use an iPad Air 2 or earlier

• Yes use an iPad Pro or later

• No Apple did a tremendous job!

Results are only viewable after voting.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Is a stutter here and there really a reason to go back and miss out new features? Just asking.
Honestly, for me, no. But I only have minor studdering on 3D Touch and a minor delay going from an app to the home screen. Otherwise, the phone is super snappy. Definitely not worth going backwards. I’m finding neat things in iOS 11 the more I use it that I like and use, like the screenshot to editable thumbnail feature. Minor features here and there are nice because I had no complaints about iOS 10 so anything extra is great. I also like the updates to Portrait Mode. It’s definitwly a lot more usable.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Incredible how much this update stutters.... on my iPhone 6 especially. I’ll tell you one thing Tim, I will not buy a new iPhone because your update screwed up my phone!!!! I will however consider buying one if you fix this.

My iPad Pro stutters too but not as much. Steve will turn over in his grave!!!!

Bar older device from updates if you can’t make it work properly. I will rather run my phone on an older rom than have the latest one but breaks it.
[doublepost=1506089847][/doublepost]And yes I’m not a noob here. Just lost my account.

I made a thread about this shortly after updating to iOS 11, and yes, it's pretty bad on my 7+.

Simply opening up mail or safari, the opening animation will stutter horribly about 25% of the time. It happens in other places occasionally as well, but since I primarily use those apps, it's the most notable there. iOS 10stuttered a little bit, but iOS 11 brings the stutters to a whole new level.

Oh, and after reading this thread, someone mentioned stutters during 3d touch (I never use so never noticed) but ya, that's definitely there, however, I wouldn't call them minor.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Honestly, my 6s is smooth as butter, but the 3D Touch lag is definitely there. So, I consider it stuttery.

ThreeD

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
6s - especially opening camera takes ages and website loading is very slow in the beginning.

Hoping for a fix with 11.1

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I wonder why and how there is so much variance on iOS 11 performance from device to device. I hate to hear that so many are having issues. I’ve only experienced minor issues, notably the well known 3D Touch studder and the open app to home screen lag.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Scrolling stutters on my iPad Air 2, but app dependent. For example Twitter was very laggy, then it had an update and it is better but not perfect. Hoping that 11.1 fixes.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I wonder why and how there is so much variance on iOS 11 performance from device to device. I hate to hear that so many are having issues. I’ve only experienced minor issues, notably the well known 3D Touch studder and the open app to home screen lag.

It comes down to the fact that Apple now has so many different products with iOS out there. They are currently selling 4 iPhones, with 3 different cpu/gpu architectures.

It’s hard to optimize when you have so many different hardware configurations out there. Not to mention, you now have essentially different versions of iOS. One for iPad, iPhone, and the soon to release X. They all behave differently.

It was always the simplicity and the fine control of hardware for optimization hat made iOS work so well, Apple has destroyed that.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
It comes down to the fact that Apple now has so many different products with iOS out there. They are currently selling 4 iPhones, with 3 different cpu/gpu architectures.

It’s hard to optimize when you have so many different hardware configurations out there. Not to mention, you now have essentially different versions of iOS. One for iPad, iPhone, and the soon to release X. They all behave differently.

It was always the simplicity and the fine control of hardware for optimization hat made iOS work so well, Apple has destroyed that.

It goes even further with the number of devices supported with iOS 11. Different amounts of memory too. 1gig, 2 gig, 3 gig and 4 gig devices all supported with iOS 11.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️

That unfortunately makes sense. They need to go ahead and separate iOS and have iOS for phones and padOS or something for the iPads because there’s quite a bit different now between the two operating systems. To be fair, there were a lot of consumers who wanted a larger iPhone, so Apple delivered the iPhone Plus models, then consumers lamented the loss of a 4” screen so Apple delivered the iPhone SE. They now have the new iPhone X. I honestly believe with the iPhone X design, Apple should utilize full screen glass and offer 3 iPhone models going forward. A small, medium, and large lineup with screen sizes from 4.5”-6”. Simplify the lineup for phones, and separated the iPad OS more than it is. I’m not sure if the end goal is to run a similar OS on the iPhone’ iPad and Mac but as we can see with Windows attempt, there’s too many compromises in doing that. Windows makes a lousy touch based experience and iOS isn’t quite a desktop replacement yet.

Sorry to go way off topic.
[doublepost=1506306380][/doublepost]
It goes even further with the number of devices supported with iOS 11. Different amounts of memory too. 1gig, 2 gig, 3 gig and 4 gig devices all supported with iOS 11.
Yeah that makes sense too. My only question is why the huge discrepancy in performance and issues with iPhone 7 Plus owners as an example. Btw, I’m legitimately curious as I’m not sure why there would be such differences.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
That unfortunately makes sense. They need to go ahead and separate iOS and have iOS for phones and padOS or something for the iPads because there’s quite a bit different now between the two operating systems. To be fair, there were a lot of consumers who wanted a larger iPhone, so Apple delivered the iPhone Plus models, then consumers lamented the loss of a 4” screen so Apple delivered the iPhone SE. They now have the new iPhone X. I honestly believe with the iPhone X design, Apple should utilize full screen glass and offer 3 iPhone models going forward. A small, medium, and large lineup with screen sizes from 4.5”-6”. Simplify the lineup for phones, and separated the iPad OS more than it is. I’m not sure if the end goal is to run a similar OS on the iPhone’ iPad and Mac but as we can see with Windows attempt, there’s too many compromises in doing that. Windows makes a lousy touch based experience and iOS isn’t quite a desktop replacement yet.

Sorry to go way off topic.
[doublepost=1506306380][/doublepost]
Yeah that makes sense too. My only question is why the huge discrepancy in performance and issues with iPhone 7 Plus owners as an example. Btw, I’m legitimately curious as I’m not sure why there would be such differences.

Even on the 8+, iOS 11 stutters in animations, I even saw stutters in iPhone X demos... My bet, is that since there are essentially multiple versions of iOS 11, one for iPad, legacy iPhones, and iPhone X, that none are particularly optimized. It doesn't matter how powerful your hardware is, if software isn't optimized, things are going to choke.

Just go check out Chris Pirillos videos on youtube. A lot of people give him a hard time for his voice and sometimes rants, but he's been spot on. The stutters started with iOS 7, but have been getting worse ever since. Now in iOS 11, they are so noticeable that even people who aren't that sensitive to noticing frame drops, are noticing them.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who think todays Apple is Apple of 10 years ago, and that iOS is still the smoothest thing around. Neither of those are even close to being accurate as of now.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am running iOS 11 on an iPhone 8 and iPad Pro 10.5.

I must admit that I am disappointed in iOS 11. While it runs very smooth on my iPhone eight, the widget screen lags and freezes quite a bit. And it also seems quite buggy.

On my iPad, I am getting quite a bit of starter and lag. Especially with widgets, but also while doing other general tasks.

I’m not worried though. I’m actually kind of glad to see that the issue was on all of the newest hardware because then you know they will fix it. It’s one thing if I two-year-old iPhone is stuttering. But when your current flagship iPads and phones are also stuttering it shows that there are issues to be fixed.
[doublepost=1506309440][/doublepost]
seen some minor stutters, my bigger concern is I've had to hard reboot my 6s about 10 times since updating to iOS 11 due to screen locking up. That is about 10 more lockups than I ever had with 10.3.3
My iPad Pro 10.5 has locked up twice since installing iOS 11.

Between June and Septembet I had only 1 lockup in iOS 10.

It’s not your device. iOS 11 has something pretty wrong with it, which is surprising given the number of betas.
[doublepost=1506309574][/doublepost]
It’s a disgrace. A brand new iPhone or any new flagship for that matter should not lag whatsoever in 2017. There is no excuse for it. Apple’s quality control dips more and more every year. Did we hear about iPhones stuttering with the 4, 4s and 5? No. It’s the iOS 7 redesign that Apple decided to do in 2013 that f*cked everything up. Now the cracks are really starting to show. Unless Fortsall comes back then expect more of this. The fact that the day has come where Android is now smoother than iOS (which I never thought I’d see) speaks volumes.

Uh, forestall was one man. iOS is developed by a whole team. There were issues even when he was In charge. I’m not saying that their software hasn’t gone down hill, but I don’t think Scott is the panacea everyone thinks he is.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
My iPhone 6 and iPad Pro both have stuttering issues. Given the range of performance, it doesn’t seem to be hardware related.

Funny I was just about to post something about this here. Did anyone who is having stuttering issues on the GM version of iOS 11?

My iPhone 8 Plus is smooth out of the box but my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen is all kinds of jumpy. It has the GM version. I know they are the same but maybe they aren’t.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
7 Plus here and have stutters as well as home button lag. I expect these to be fixed in 11.2 or 11.2. IOS 10 also launched with performance issues.

justedward

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Scrolling JUST TEXT should be smooth as butter. If it blurs because of a slower display refresh rate that’s different from jagged and rough scrolling.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
My iPad Pro 10.5 has locked up twice since installing iOS 11.

Between June and Septembet I had only 1 lockup in iOS 10.

It’s not your device. iOS 11 has something pretty wrong with it, which is surprising given the number of betas.

I’ve noticed the random lockups on my 6s occur only when working in app folders. These lockups require hard reboot. If I move all my apps out of folders and just put on home screen I don’t get any lockups.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I logged into MacRumors forums today specifically to post about this issue, and I saw this thread.

Brand new out of the box iPhone 7 128GB (got it yesterday, traded in my 6s+), on iOS 11.0, stuttering a lot when switching apps, swiping around, checking notifications, etc.

Also I feel like the touch targets are off or something, I need to press things two or more times.

Other than that... awesome phone.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I logged into MacRumors forums today specifically to post about this issue, and I saw this thread.

Brand new out of the box iPhone 7 128GB (got it yesterday, traded in my 6s+), on iOS 11.0, stuttering a lot when switching apps, swiping around, checking notifications, etc.

Also I feel like the touch targets are off or something, I need to press things two or more times.

Other than that... awesome phone.
I have the same phone. Downgrade to 10.3.3 while there is still time! You will be blown away by how fast and fluid everything is and you will get to experience how fast the home button is compared to iOS 11. You will love it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 11 seriously feels like a beta version they released to the public without beta testing. It has the worst bugs on a release from any I can remember.
Seems about the same as most x.0 releases, and overall even better than some.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Slow and stuttering on iPad Air.

Same here for my iPad Air - it's gotten pretty long in the tooth now, unfortunately.

It's a gift from my folks in 2013, I hate to part with it until I couldn't stand the performance (or Apple won't allow updates anymore) or Apple sells an iPad Pro with FaceID (since that's where they're going).

My 6S Plus is purring like a kitten with iOS 11, however!

Last edited:

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Some stuttering and lag on my iPhone 6 (I only really upgraded in the vain hope that Apple would fix the problems with music playback forgetting where you were in a Playlist that they broke in iOS 10, but no, obviously Developer time was needed for those animated turds instead).

Worst example for me, is the Camera app. I take a photo, and it takes upward of 1 -2 seconds before the photo appears to save to the Photos Library.

On my iPad Pro (10.5") no such issues. The odd graphical oddity but I suppose that's a price for using a .0 release. Again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.