Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I haven’t deleted my developer beta profile, if I keep until WWDC will I be able to download the iOS 12 developer beta with it? Or would I need a new profile for that?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

iPhoneguy86

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
East Coast USA
The profile is only for beta pre-released software which this is not a beta but a public official release. Remove profile, restart to take effect and update as usual

Am I wrong here or did they used to release the GM build if not ahead of time without the feedback tool to PB or dev now we get like a limbo Beta 6 can’t tell if it’s GM or not and we have to go through this removing profile and rebooting to get the OTA for iOS 11.4 to show up? Is the beta 6 the same thing with different build number or are there actual new features in 11.4 build that just went out to everyone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Am I wrong here or did they used to release the GM build if not ahead of time without the feedback tool to PB or dev now we get like a limbo Beta 6 can’t tell if it’s GM or not and we have to go through this removing profile and rebooting to get the OTA for iOS 11.4 to show up? Is the beta 6 the same thing with different build number or are there actual new features in 11.4 build that just went out to everyone?
Sometimes there's a GM that is released for releases like this, other times there isn't. Even if a slightly newer build is released as the final compared to the last beta it doesn't necessarily mean there are some particular new features (as it could be just some build parameter change or some other small tweak or something like that).

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

They didn't use to use profiles... there was no public beta and to get the developer beta, you had to register your devices UDID in the developer portal. And if you step back a bit further, there was no OTA updates... you had to download the IPSW and use iTunes for every iteration fo the beta process...

iPhoneguy86

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
East Coast USA
They didn't use to use profiles... there was no public beta and to get the developer beta, you had to register your devices UDID in the developer portal. And if you step back a bit further, there was no OTA updates... you had to download the IPSW and use iTunes for every iteration fo the beta process...

I appreciate the historical lesson I knew all of that I’ve been doing beta since iOS 5 so I know how the process has progressively changed over time my question specifically referenced the GM builds with people using either or Dev or PB profile that’s what I was asking....
[doublepost=1527647523][/doublepost]
Sometimes there's a GM that is released for releases like this, other times there isn't. Even if a slightly newer build is released as the final compared to the last beta it doesn't necessarily mean there are some particular new features (or could be just some build parameter change or some other small tweak or something like that).

Sounds good thank you :)

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I always try to avoid the the first BETA's from a new major release. The very first doesn't always become available to the public at all, its often just offered to those with the developer profile and not the public beta profile. BETA1 through 3/4 tends to be rather rough on major releases.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Wouldn't this apply to iOS as well then? Pretty sure meltdown and spectre did.
[doublepost=1527641747][/doublepost]
iOS 11 really isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. iOS 8 was a disaster.
I must be the only one here who found iOS 8 one of the best releases. I got my iPhone 6 when iOS 8.2 was released and it was stellar.

I always try to avoid the the first BETA's from a new major release. The very first doesn't always become available to the public at all, its often just offered to those with the developer profile and not the public beta profile. BETA1 through 3/4 tends to be rather rough on major releases.

I don't think it will be the norm for iOS 12. Apple knows their software image has taken a beating with iOS 11 and with Apple postponing major features for iOS 13, I expect iOS 12 to be a more leaner and easier to run OS. I personally can't wait to get rid of this shoddy OS release as it isn't meshing well with me. I will definitely wait to see if it's better than iOS 10 though as that's a high bar to clear.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I must be the only one here who found iOS 8 one of the best releases. I got my iPhone 6 when iOS 8.2 was released and it was stellar.

I don't think it will be the norm for iOS 12. Apple knows their software image has taken a beating with iOS 11 and with Apple postponing major features for iOS 13, I expect iOS 12 to be a more leaner and easier to run OS. I personally can't wait to get rid of this shoddy OS release as it isn't meshing well with me. I will definitely wait to see if it's better than iOS 10 though as that's a high bar to clear.
iOS 10 betas were surprisingly stable even considering beta 1, and I had no problems running it as a daily driver aside from the occasional UI/visual glitches.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

8.2... that’s quite a bit different than 8.0.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
new betas for everything basically

so we will have betas for the 11 version and 12 version next week at the same time :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.