Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Mine still works but I have noticed I need to be closer for it to identify me.

Hmm. I've got the XS Max, and so far, haven't had a problem. Well, except for one time, early after the update when it told me, out of the blue, that I had to enter my passcode to enable FaceID after a 'restart'. It was within a few minutes after I used it, so I seriously doubt it had enough time to do an actual reboot. It was unexpected, but easy to enter the digits. Weird, and hasn't happened since. Was it a fluke, an 'iPhone fart', or what? *shrug*

BTW, my Air Pods still work. I'm surprised after so much drama immediately post update.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Hmm. I've got the XS Max, and so far, haven't had a problem. Well, except for one time, early after the update when it told me, out of the blue, that I had to enter my passcode to enable FaceID after a 'restart'. It was within a few minutes after I used it, so I seriously doubt it had enough time to do an actual reboot. It was unexpected, but easy to enter the digits. Weird, and hasn't happened since. Was it a fluke, an 'iPhone fart', or what? *shrug*

BTW, my Air Pods still work. I'm surprised after so much drama immediately post update.

The only reason I really noticed the distance is the position on my desk, Pro Max and IPP 11 after 13.4 they stopped unlocked until I moved a few inches closer.

Hear you on the Airpods. I have a set of Pro and my daughter does also. Neither of us have seen an issue yet. Then again, I don't use mine a whole lot.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Hear you on the Airpods. I have a set of Pro and my daughter does also. Neither of us have seen an issue yet. Then again, I don't use mine a whole lot.

Mine are 'gen 1', so that might explain some of the issue. 'Buy the newer ones'... If I had the money, sure. I had the chance to get a pair of Pro's, but someone sniped me on them. *shrug*

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
I really am enthusiastic about these forums.
They have firmly convinced me to stick with 13.3 and Mojave.
In 35 years with dozens of Apple products I have never seen such an acceleration of disastrous software updates.
If just keeps getting worse.
The current IOS13.3 and iPadOS13.3 may have a few warts, but everything I need, including iTunes/Music and Photos and Cloud interfacing works fine on those and with Mojave, on my iMacs, iPads and iPod Touch.
I refuse to waste my time acting as a Beta tester for Apple nor will I purchase any more Apple hardware until their software QC gets working again.
Note many other similar refusals to purchase any more Apple products for the same reason on other forum pages.
Even Elon Musk has bitched about their messing up his iPhone.
Apple take note.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
In 35 years with dozens of Apple products I have never seen such an acceleration of disastrous software updates.
The current IOS13.3 and iPadOS13.3 may have a few warts, but everything I need, including iTunes/Music and Photos and Cloud interfacing works fine on those and with Mojave, on my iMacs, iPads and iPod Touch.
I refuse to waste my time acting as a Beta tester for Apple nor will I purchase any more Apple hardware until their software QC gets working again.
Note many other similar refusals to purchase any more Apple products for the same reason on other forum pages.
Apple take note.

Apple’s response just came in, “Thanks for your patronage. Don’t let the door hit you on your overly dramatic ass.”

Reactions: liquidiq

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
How to create an automation shortcut which simulates opening applefeedback:// for opening feedback app from inside safari on 13.4 public release (not beta)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Apple take note.

I think you will find if you read closely, that most of the issues seem to be occurring to the same people. They likely are experiencing issues. But the question is why are they experiencing these issues, when most people are not?

Is it their hardware? Doubtful, as many have detailed - both here and in the mega AirPods firmware thread - about swapping devices at least once if not multiple times.

So what is it? I think one of 2 things:

- a heightened sensitivity to what would for many people be deemed “minor irritants.” Again, not saying this is wrong: a minor irritant in an app or function that is used once a week will be far less annoying than if that app is used multiple times per day. E.g., the mail fetch bug (where mail is not pre-fetched and ready for viewing when you open the app) may be inconsequential for a phone-user who casually checks mail once per day but a major impedance to someone who relies on getting mail timely for work and checks mail every 10-15 minutes. That could get old real quick!

-Hardware/software configuration. Face it, these forums are home to power users, many of whom push the envelopes with how they use their devices. I don’t think jailbreaking is what it once was, but I think some people push the devices hard: attaching external hard drives, mice, running memory intensive apps...all at the same time. Even my MBP 16” suffers when I have too many apps open at once. I know iOS has superb memory management for suspended apps, but I suspect there are upper limits.

I could add to this list with:
-unrealistic expectations
-obsessive concern for tiny nits that are to be expected with software that is massive (millions of lines of code) and massively re-written every 9 months (Sept release to WWDC Keynote in early June)

Bottom line: my advice to anyone who bases decisions on what they read here as to the overall quality of either the hardware/software really needs to do some additional research as well. These are echo chambers and, just like social media in general, the danger is that you don’t hear from the other side.

In this case, Apple is selling billions of dollars in products every year and its not because people are brainwashed. It’s because they offer what to those purchasers is the best value proposition in terms of hardware, software and ecosystem.

Final note: IMO, one should never cite Elon Musk (or other celebrities) as an authority for anything, other than what he/they specialize in. His opinion is worth no more than yours.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Having had issues with some Apple products after the last update (iPhone) I can say that this is not hysteria, and it's not 'unrealistic expectations', or 'picking nits'. My Air Pods worked flawlessly before the update. After the update and they stopped working, that was 'unexpected'. Is it 'unrealistic' to expect that an update doesn't hammer functions and features? Should I have expected my Air Pods to stop working?

We need to stop providing cover for things that go wrong. I had issues with my PowerBeats Pro ear pods. I raised heck with Apple about the issues I was having. They 'heard' about the issue. I suggested a fix for the issue that surprised the person I was talking with. If we were complaining about the color, or texture Apple products, I could see such condescension, but people are having issues with features and functions that cease to work post update.

And Elon Musk has a platform higher than any of us. His opinions are just as valuable, or just as silly in some cases, but that doesn't mean he should be silenced, or ignored. Laughed at, cringed at, sure, but he is a consumer just like all of us.

So Apple needs to address software quality. Software is the 'secret sauce' that keeps their products running, and provides value above their competition. If that changes, if the sauce turns rancid, Apple will fail. (Although it can be argued that Microsoft should have failed during their NT 4/Millennium/Vista messes and didn't, but people loved flying SouthWest too. *shrug)

If Apple hires out their programming, they need to work harder with the contractors to do testing, or they need to step up and do their own intensive testing prior to release of updates. Being a public beta tester gets old quickly...

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I think you will find if you read closely, that most of the issues seem to be occurring to the same people. They likely are experiencing issues. But the question is why are they experiencing these issues, when most people are not?

Is it their hardware? Doubtful, as many have detailed - both here and in the mega AirPods firmware thread - about swapping devices at least once if not multiple times.

- a heightened sensitivity to what would for many people be deemed “minor irritants.” Again, not saying this is wrong: a minor irritant in an app or function that is used once a week will be far less annoying than if that app is used multiple times per day. E.g., the mail fetch bug (where mail is not pre-fetched and ready for viewing when you open the app) may be inconsequential for a phone-user who casually checks mail once per day but a major impedance to someone who relies on getting mail timely for work and checks mail every 10-15 minutes. That could get old real quick!

-Hardware/software configuration. Face it, these forums are home to power users, many of whom push the envelopes with how they use their devices. I don’t think jailbreaking is what it once was, but I think some people push the devices hard: attaching external hard drives, mice, running memory intensive apps...all at the same time. Even my MBP 16” suffers when I have too many apps open at once. I know iOS has superb memory management for suspended apps, but I suspect there are upper limits.

-obsessive concern for tiny nits that are to be expected with software that is massive (millions of lines of code) and massively re-written every 9 months (Sept release to WWDC Keynote in early June)

Bottom line: my advice to anyone who bases decisions on what they read here as to the overall quality of either the hardware/software really needs to do some additional research as well. These are echo chambers and, just like social media in general, the danger is that you don’t hear from the other side.

In this case, Apple is selling billions of dollars in products every year and its not because people are brainwashed. It’s because they offer what to those purchasers is the best value proposition in terms of hardware, software and ecosystem.

Final note: IMO, one should never cite Elon Musk (or other celebrities) as an authority for anything, other than what he/they specialize in. His opinion is worth no more than yours.

When I ask both my ex and daughter on their phones (7+ and 7), they are seeing issues but living with it. Can't afford new devices and are hoping Apple fixes them. I suspect this is very common.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012

I see many, varied issues from lots of people, not the same ones. IMHO they are experiencing the issues because something didn't get QCd by Apple.

Apple hardware is the best on the market, I doubt that many swaps are necessary. This great hardware is not so great when the software that makes it work, doesn't.

I don't consider numerous posts concerning loss of iTunes album artwork and/or files or Photo images to be "minor irritants".
I have over 17,000+ tracks of numerous genrs collected over thirty years of collecting and purchasing, and refuse to take the chance of losing any of it, despite backups on Time Machine (not without forum post mumbles), on and off line external discs, and semi-annual dumps to DVDs. My iPhoto files were damaged by an upgrade some years ago, some recovered, but images collected over 60 years of photography and digitized slowly from thousands of slides and negatives are rather precious and not to be risked by sloppy software.

I don't believe most of these posts come from power users. Based on their composition, many are from just plain folks that have invested their funds in a convenience or tool that is suddenly inconvenient at best, or useless for daily usage for communications, personal investments or banking, or amusement with photography and music, both of the latter causing lots of post gripes.

I suspect many power users sometimes find solutions themselves or regress to stable, working versions without bothering with these forums.

Over the years, it seems to me that Apple spends too much time on too frequent updates adding goodies instead of armor plating the essential functions of their current, admittedly hugely complex software. I worked in, and managed IT for a $2B major corporation for 17 years, and know well about complex software, but would never have allowed bugs like these out of my organization. In my company, I would have been out of a job quickly. Any senior software folks been sacked at Apple lately?

I'm sure there are, fortunately for Apple, a very large number of users, several in my own family, who use Apple devices for simple purposes like just talking on iPhones, taking photos, or playing games, that either never need, are aware of, or use an upgrade, being happy with their existing software level, as I am, who have never heard of posts.

As for Elon Musk, I suspect gripes from people at his level are of significantly more interest to Apple than mine.

Have a nice day. I like Apple, but hate to see the degradation that has occurred since Jobs died.

Reactions: dk001

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
How to create an automation shortcut which simulates opening applefeedback:// for opening feedback app from inside safari on 13.4 public release (not beta)
I created it just for you and included the steps.

52457651-7AF8-4E9A-BF7C-FBE3C78E2620.png

Steps:
1. Launch Shortcuts app
2. Search for URL and enter as shown
3. Search for Safari and select Open URLs.
4. Run shortcut to make sure it works. Save shortcut and add it to home screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: uandme72

goldthemhill

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS 13.4 GM - my Share Button is broken.

In Photos, hitting the Share Button will take minutes for the various options to come up, eg, AirDrop.
In Safari, hitting the Share Button doesn't even work - I can't even bookmark a website any more, WTF.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug?

Normally I would go straight to the Apple Store for them to have a look at but obviously that's not an option at the moment.

EDIT: WhatsApp app was the culprit. Re-installing the app seemed to solve the problem. Funny how one app can mess up everything!

Last edited:
Reactions: frimage

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I woke this morning to see my iPhone 11 Peo Max battery was down to 26% after going to bed with almost 80% battery and I had closed all of my open apps. The battery settings is showing the culprit as being the Music app, which I’ve seen happen before. It’s like it’s still at the ready, just waiting for me to press play again. But the app’s closed.

B205F62B-72DE-481A-80C7-DA62B0C35651.jpeg

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I also just noticed the volume rocker on my PowerBeats Pro no longer adjusts the volume on either my iPhone 11 Pro Max or my iPad Pro 11in. I tried forgetting and repairing again, but not seeing any change for the better.

::UPDATE::
I checked and I have the most current firmware for my PowerBeats Pro: 2C48
I tried hard rebooting both my iPhone and iPad, and am having no issues connecting to either at all. Just can't control the volume with the ear volume rockers. Either of them. The button still works to pause/play, though.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Pro Max - sound on iMessage (SMS/MMS) is no longer working. Works for iMessage (iDevices). This is incoming texts.
A rest will correct the problem for a short time.
A complete reset / IPSW did not fix the issue.

pita.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Pro Max - sound on iMessage (SMS/MMS) is no longer working. Works for iMessage (iDevices). This is incoming texts.
A rest will correct the problem for a short time.
A complete reset / IPSW did not fix the issue.

pita.

Update:
I did a bunch of testing and found on my Pro Max, the incoming Message tone will only sound if I have the Message app open. If the app is closed, Home Screen or Lock Screen, a tone will not sound. Originally the issue was non-iDevice messages only.
This is now happening with incoming texts from anyone. ?

The device has been reset and reloaded via IPSW file.

pita.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
In iPadOS 13.4, when the floating keyboard is enabled and you swipe down to get to Spotlight Search, my keyboard is just a grey outline of it.

Attachments

• DFA00DA7-CA20-4BB9-9988-E86F2C736712.jpeg
    DFA00DA7-CA20-4BB9-9988-E86F2C736712.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.