Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I wonder if Apple enabled the new RCS messaging without mentioning on the keynote. What carrier are you running and what is the vendor/model of your friend's phone?

I'm on T-mobile and my friend is on a samsung Galaxy S9 also with T-mobile.

Birkan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Germany
I'm on T-mobile and my friend is on a samsung Galaxy S9 also with T-mobile.
According to T-Mobile docs, Galaxy S9 supports RCS on T-Mobile network so in theory RCS messages should be possible if Apple adopted the new standart. It would be nice to test if you or somebody on T-Mobile can send an SMS (not iMessage) to another iOS 13 user on T-Mobile. Additionally, I couldn't find anything related to RCS on release notes

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
According to T-Mobile docs, Galaxy S9 supports RCS on T-Mobile network so in theory RCS messages should be possible if Apple adopted the new standart. It would be nice to test if you or somebody on T-Mobile can send an SMS (not iMessage) to another iOS 13 user on T-Mobile. Additionally, I couldn't find anything related to RCS on release notes

It happens with every green text I have, I am not sure which phone all of them have but I doubt they all have the S9. I know for a fact one friend has a much older android.

Birkan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Germany
It happens with every green text I have, I am not sure which phone all of them have but I doubt they all have the S9. I know for a fact one friend has a much older android.
Hmm, maybe it's a UI bug. If it is one, then they might fix it on Beta 2

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hey there, anyone compared bugs/performance between clean-install and updating from iOS 12.3.1? Planing to just update and not restore with IPSW, but wanna make sure everything works fine.

I initially updated to the iOS 13 beta over iOS 12.1.2 and a few days later installed the beta clean. Not really any noticeable difference as far as I'm concerned.

m.wttfld

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
Germany
I initially updated to the iOS 13 beta over iOS 12.1.2 and a few days later installed the beta clean. Not really any noticeable difference as far as I'm concerned.

Just did an update, performance on my XS is unbelievable good. Im really impressed about the improvements on Face ID. All apps running, just one restart since updating.

Best beta 1 I ever experienced so far!

merik

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Interesting bug. I long pressed an app on the home screen to share it, sent it to my friend (on 12.3.1, not 13) and her text thread with me was rendered useless. Every time she tried to open my thread, the screen went black and Messages crashed. Had to delete the thread to make it work again.

Tried multiple times to confirm.

Just tried the same thing and got the same result. I shared the app “SoundHound” from home screen to another person that’s using iPhone XS Max running 12.2 [I’m on 12.3] and it broke our message thread on his phone.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
A lot of you interested in it probably read it already but Federico Viticci's summation of iPadOS is a great reminder of the of all the smaller, larger and transformative features.

Few things I took away: -
- The sheer amount of thought and engineering that went into Safari. This is not just "Request Desktop Mode by default"
- Apps and scenes. This ability to drag out multitask individual parts of an app or OS function. A message, a mail, a notification, even an entire subwindow can be dragged to spawn a new task.
- No worries drive unplugging! Fully synced usb drive access does impact speed but I've long thought it's something we shouldn't be worried about. I've been all Samsung T3/T5 SSD for my externals so I really appreciate just being able to unplug without thinking about it (obviously if you're not actively transferring)

https://www.macstories.net/stories/initial-thoughts-on-ipados-a-new-path-forward/

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
A lot of you interested in it probably read it already but Federico Viticci's summation of iPadOS is a great reminder of the of all the smaller, larger and transformative features.

Few things I took away: -
- The sheer amount of thought and engineering that went into Safari. This is not just "Request Desktop Mode by default"
- Apps and scenes. This ability to drag out multitask individual parts of an app or OS function. A message, a mail, a notification, even an entire subwindow can be dragged to spawn a new task.
- No worries drive unplugging! Fully synced usb drive access does impact speed but I've long thought it's something we shouldn't be worried about. I've been all Samsung T3/T5 SSD for my externals so I really appreciate just being able to unplug without thinking about it (obviously if you're not actively transferring)

https://www.macstories.net/stories/initial-thoughts-on-ipados-a-new-path-forward/

With Federico, I have to add his tomes to my Reading List. Craig Federighi gave him a hard time about the length of his pieces on the interview he gave him last week (as a backhanded compliment about how thorough he is). By the way, that was probably Craig’s way of signaling that Apple does, indeed, follow what is said about it and its products by people it respects. Ask and you shall receive.

RobHandz

Cancelled
Aug 10, 2018
Can we finally turn off radios from Control Center? Or does it still “disable it until tomorrow”?

Have you tried setting up Siri shortcuts? Great workaround for me:

Attachments

• 665FEAC3-1AA9-4E5D-83D4-B86875AC04A0.jpeg
    665FEAC3-1AA9-4E5D-83D4-B86875AC04A0.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 297

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Does anyone know how to open an app side by side with another app which is not on the dock? For example, I am using Safari and I want to open YouTube either a slide over or side by side.
But YouTube is on the home screen not the dock.

There used to be a gesture where you could grab the icon from the home screen, drag it over the second app in the dock to them open side by side. Now if I try that I either get the jiggly icons or the long-press contextual menu.

Reactions: Wide opeN

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Does anyone know how to open an app side by side with another app which is not on the dock? For example, I am using Safari and I want to open YouTube either a slide over or side by side.
But YouTube is on the home screen not the dock.

There used to be a gesture where you could grab the icon from the home screen, drag it over the second app in the dock to them open side by side. Now if I try that I either get the jiggly icons or the long-press contextual menu.

This!

@Feenician? You are the gesture guru!

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I am finding that in Files, the Search bar is not working for OneDrive folders/files. Anyone else?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
This!

@Feenician? You are the gesture guru!

It's currently broken. Short version is that in iOS 12 you could pick up an icon quickly without entering "wiggle mode" and that allowed you tap another one to launch it, then drop the first on the launched app to multitask. A longer press on the first icon of course entered wiggle mode and that allowed you to tap other icons to create a stack of icons for dragging around. Currently, in 13, as soon as you move an icon you enter wiggle mode and have that last behavior.

Dragging from Spotlight is also currently broken. Here's the disturbing part though. I thought I had seen both these issues mentioned in the release notes but, actually, only the spotlight one is! I'll log feedback on the home screen one today as it is an absolutely essential piece of functionality.

sergekills

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
Moscow, Russia
Guys, I'm having a couple of questions about downgrading.
I decided to do so, googled the instructions and got confused because there are two methods:
  1. Downgrade iPhone using the recovery mode
  2. Downgrade iPhone using a downloaded IPSW of iOS 12.3.1. and option + update
Which is better?

And the second question: I have an Apple Watch on watchOS 5.whatevertheversion paired to an iPhone with iOS 13 on it. Should I unpair my Watch if I'm using the 1st method? Is the 1st method even possible to perform?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Confirmed (via Lori Gil of iMore) that Siri Announce Message is going to work with Gen 1 AirPods!

https://twitter.com/appaholik/status/1139172514993647616?s=21

I was gonna say, I couldn't think of ANY reason why it wouldn't. It's pushed from the phone, so just "speaker" related and has nothing to do with "Hey Siri" or even a faster ship as far as I could think of. Just like it announces the caller while I have headphones in...and that makes me think it should work with ANY headphones.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Anyone successful in setting a Memoji as your contact photo? And did it actually filter through settings, etc? Also, is it actually being shared with others?

In short, does the feature actually work? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.