Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If your battery started to drain since 14.2/3/4, what phone do you have?

• Total voters

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
Tonight I lost 16% in battery save mode
Don’t understand this ...

I lost 15% tonight where

1. I have four email accounts and sync is on
2 Bluetooth is on and connected my watch and headset
3. Played some 2 yours video while sleeping
4. Location is on
5. Low power mode is off

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I just wanted to add that my battery life is still ok, but definitely worse with 14.2/14.2, percentage and drain is not what it should be.

Also, I have a faulty battery previously that would drain like mad and that always showed 100% battery health.

The best way to check is to use coconut battery, I will try mine in a moment, so you can see what the battery is.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
My coconut battery result
D79BEB0B-6850-41F2-BEC9-8B20BB2AD2BA.jpeg

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I am not sure how accurate coconut battery is. I closes and reopened the app a few times, and each time the battery capacity changed. Also, I had two faulty batteries before. Both reported over 1700mAh and yet drained super fast and were useless.

Battery health (iOS14) 98%
Battery health (coconut battery) 90.4%

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
I've read an online article stating that some users are seeing the battery drain issue mitigated with the 14.4 public beta. Installing now and will report back in a few days after the typical re-indexing operation completes. Would like to know if anyone else has installed the 14.4 public beta and what their results were.

Link: https://www.phoneswiki.com/ios-14-4-beta-1-idle-battery-drain-solved/

Last edited:

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
I've read an online article that some users are seeing the battery drain issue mitigated with the 14.4 public beta. Installing now and will report back in a few days after the typical re-indexing operation completes. Would like to know if anyone else has installed the 14.4. public beta and what their results were.

Link please

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I've read an online article that some users are seeing the battery drain issue mitigated with the 14.4 public beta. Installing now and will report back in a few days after the typical re-indexing operation completes. Would like to know if anyone else has installed the 14.4. public beta and what their results were.
I didn’t know there was a 14.4 public beta. Installing now. 14.3 has been awful, so anything is better than that. IOS 14 feels like alpha so far anyway. And I thought 13 was bad.

CarloC00

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2017
I didn’t know there was a 14.4 public beta. Installing now. 14.3 has been awful, so anything is better than that. IOS 14 feels like alpha so far anyway. And I thought 13 was bad.
I tried 14.4 public beta on my iPhone a few weeks ago and it was very laggy with bad battery life, hoping for a good beta 2

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
The only thing that helped on my 12 PM was to turn on airplane mode with WiFi and WiFi Calling enabled. Since I am home 80% of my time now anyway, I don’t really need mobile. Calls and texts go through thanks to WiFi calling ??

Background Refresh, Push and most location services have always been off but that didn’t help the drain on my 12 PM. Airplane mode did help

Attachments

• 5B8C0B75-EDE5-4431-9F6F-0BDEDA08AD84.jpeg
    5B8C0B75-EDE5-4431-9F6F-0BDEDA08AD84.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 166

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
The 14.4 public beta has been good for me so far. It stopped the typical post 12am battery drain (with no usage) and the mid-day drain I have seen under 14.2/14.3.

**UPDATE**
The battery drain issue has come back on the 2nd day. I have no idea why more people are not complaining about this issue so it must be something about my phone's configuration or the apps I am using.

Last edited:

fredriks

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020
The only thing that helped on my 12 PM was to turn on airplane mode with WiFi and WiFi Calling enabled. Since I am home 80% of my time now anyway, I don’t really need mobile. Calls and texts go through thanks to WiFi calling

Background Refresh, Push and most location services have always been off but that didn’t help the drain on my 12 PM. Airplane mode did help

Airplane mode with WiFi and Bluetooth on seems to have stopped drain for me too. 2 nights in a row now with only 4% usage.

It’s not a solution to have to use airplane mode at night but interesting to see that it seems to bee mobile modem that uses battery during standby

23197553867ef0bf49777966440ba164.jpg

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have an iPhone 6S and a battery with 98% battery health.

I noticed since 14.2 / 14.3 there has been a battery drain. I tried many things, such as disabling SiRi, location services etc, but nothing worked.

Through must testing, I tried the following and the battery drain stopped (while the screen is off). I went to bed with 95% and woke up with 95% battery life.

Here are the settings I changed:

View attachment 1706444
View attachment 1706445
View attachment 1706446

Let me know if this helps. It worked on my iPhone.
Interesting! Thanks for this, will give it a go tonight for my 12 Mini. It’s been draining a bit over night unlike my old iPhone 6. But of course no where near my sister’s Galaxy 9+ ?

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Interesting! Thanks for this, will give it a go tonight for my 12 Mini. It’s been draining a bit over night unlike my old iPhone 6. But of course no where near my sister’s Galaxy 9+ ?
Happy to help! :) Just curious but what sort of battery life do you get from the iPhone 6? Could you post a screenshot? Thanks

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Airplane mode with WiFi and Bluetooth on seems to have stopped drain for me too. 2 nights in a row now with only 4% usage.

It’s not a solution to have to use airplane mode at night but interesting to see that it seems to bee mobile modem that uses battery during standby

23197553867ef0bf49777966440ba164.jpg
My phone is always in airplane mode (with WIFI/Bluetooth on).

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
*update
It worked ok initially, then the drain appeared. I installed iOS14.4 public beta and was the same. I have reset the phone to factory settings and setup again without any apps installed. I suspect the issue is either:

- iOS14
- a third party app
- the phone battery (98% battery health, after resetting down to 96%)

The phone warm and drained pretty quick (normal after an iOS reset). I will see how it goes today now it has re-indexed, downloaded and done whatever iOS needs to do.

I noticed a few things changed, the battery now goes down consistently and a few options look as they should, so there was definately as an issue somewhere with the OS.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I updated from 13.7 last Monday. So I’ve had a good week with the software. What I’ve noticed is that randomly at any given time of day with apps open or all apps closed the phone will decide to just heat up. When I check the cpu usage it’s pegged at 100% for a bit then drops down to like the 50%’s and hangs there for a few minutes and it can take a few big chunks out of the battery percentage until it settles. So something is running. Maybe it’s a crash reporter? Whatever it is I hope they fix it! Otherwise 14.3 has been fine. Maybe even a bit more snappy compared to 13.7. I just don’t like the heating up and random battery drain!

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I updated from 13.7 last Monday. So I’ve had a good week with the software. What I’ve noticed is that randomly at any given time of day with apps open or all apps closed the phone will decide to just heat up. When I check the cpu usage it’s pegged at 100% for a bit then drops down to like the 50%’s and hangs there for a few minutes and it can take a few big chunks out of the battery percentage until it settles. So something is running. Maybe it’s a crash reporter? Whatever it is I hope they fix it! Otherwise 14.3 has been fine. Maybe even a bit more snappy compared to 13.7. I just don’t like the heating up and random battery drain!
I installed 14.4 to 1. See if it fixed it and 2. So I can report it to Apple. It's annoying now! What did you use to find what CPU usage?

ud43532

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
The 14.4 public beta has been good for me so far. It stopped the typical post 12am battery drain (with no usage) and the mid-day drain I have seen under 14.2/14.3.

**UPDATE**
The battery drain issue has come back on the 2nd day. I have no idea why more people are not complaining about this issue so it must be something about my phone's configuration or the apps I am using.
Hi

Can you please share which mobile network you are on. I am wondering if this is related to the mobile providers.

I have replaced my device twice already and this problem still remains.

I am also wondering if using esim would be any better or using a sim from another network provider.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi

Can you please share which mobile network you are on. I am wondering if this is related to the mobile providers.

I am also wondering if using esim would be any better or using a sim from another network provider.
I use three (uk) although I always have airplane mode on any WiFi/Bluetooth on. I just turn it on now and again to play Pokémon go.

Emilie Robbins

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2020
Battery Percentage was 95% but has now dropped to 94% since the update. No idea why but it seems to have been worse on the first day of the update. Today I'm turn off location serv, screen time and wireless when it not need

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
Hi

I am using Verizon.

I just did the following yesterday after the battery drain reappeared (post 14.4 beta install):

1. Deleted a bunch of apps and kept only the ones I use on a regular basis.
2. Disabled background refresh on all apps except one.
3. Modified notification settings on nearly all apps to only show Badge icon. Turned off sound option as well.
4. Did a hard reset of my iPhone 7 Plus.

(Note: I have Wi-Fi, bluetooth and cellular enabled and have never disabled them on a long term basis)

This stopped the midnight (12am) battery drain that seems to be a characteristic of this issue. I don't know if the hard reset did it or if some change in my settings helped mitigate the issue at this point. I'm hoping the battery drain doesn't reappear tonight and will post an update tomorrow.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I am using Verizon.

I just did the following yesterday after the battery drain reappeared (post 14.4 beta install):

1. Deleted a bunch of apps and kept only the ones I use on a regular basis.
2. Disabled background refresh on all apps except one.
3. Modified notification settings on nearly all apps to only show Badge icon. Turned off sound option as well.
4. Did a hard reset of my iPhone 7 Plus.

(Note: I have Wi-Fi, bluetooth and cellular enabled and have never disabled them on a long term basis)

This stopped the midnight (12am) battery drain that seems to be a characteristic of this issue. I don't know if the hard reset did it or if some change in my settings helped mitigate the issue at this point. I'm hoping the battery drain doesn't reappear tonight and will post an update tomorrow.
Mine is still draining. Hard reset, 14.4 and only FB messenger and WeChat. Also no apps appear to be using battery but it’s draining.

Yesterday it was actually ok until the spooky nighttime drain.
2F9C1D05-EE4F-4D77-B9CA-3C895CD9010C.png

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
Mine is still draining. Hard reset, 14.4 and only FB messenger and WeChat. Also no apps appear to be using battery but it’s draining.

Sorry to hear that. So last night it did drain (about 10%) but the drastic drop did not occur so that's at least something. I've continued to read online articles regarding this and I'm going to try the procedure to reset my iPhone and Apple Watch. Are you using the Apple Watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.