Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If your battery started to drain since 14.2/3/4, what phone do you have?

• Total voters

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Sorry to hear that. So last night it did drain (about 10%) but the drastic drop did not occur so that's at least something. I've continued to read online articles regarding this and I'm going to try the procedure to reset my iPhone and Apple Watch. Are you using the Apple Watch?
Yes I am using an Apple Watch and both have been reset.

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
What I've noticed is that whenever there's a battery drain, the CPU goes crazy even though there's nothing in particular running on the background. I've noticed as well that once I restart the phone, the battery miraculously jumps up a few percent.

Reactions: aynatMac

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
What I've noticed is that whenever there's a battery drain, the CPU goes crazy even though there's nothing in particular running on the background. I've noticed as well that once I restart the phone, the battery miraculously jumps up a few percent.
From my experience this is correct. My battery drain has returned and it looks like doing a reboot or hard reset of the iPhone temporarily mitigates the issue for one day. I'm updating to the new 14.4 beta that just came out but I suspect I'm going to get the same results.

Last edited:

fredriks

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020

From my experience this is correct. My battery drain has returned and it looks like doing a reboot or hard reset of the iPhone temporarily mitigates the issue for one day. The battery drain issue has returned again for me. I'm updating to the new 14.4 beta that just came out but I suspect I'm going to get the same results.

Do you get overnight drain even in airplane mode ? I have used airplane mode four nights now, WiFi and Bluetooth on and then only have 4-5% drain over night.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
From my experience this is correct. My battery drain has returned and it looks like doing a reboot or hard reset of the iPhone temporarily mitigates the issue for one day. The battery drain issue has returned again for me. I'm updating to the new 14.4 beta that just came out but I suspect I'm going to get the same results.
Definitely something weird with 14.4 Public Beta 2. People always say, but it's a beta, etc. The non beta 14.2. and 14.3 also did it.

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
Do you get overnight drain even in airplane mode ? I have used airplane mode four nights now, WiFi and Bluetooth on and then only have 4-5% drain over night.
Airplane mode, all off and 20% are gone at night. Sometimes however there’s some magic and only 5% disappears.

fredriks

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020
Airplane mode, all off and 20% are gone at night. Sometimes however there’s some magic and only 5% disappears.

This issue is weird. When I’m not in airplane mode I have the same miracle 5% drain some nights. Tonight with all on it “only” drained 8%

It’s making me pissed ...

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
This issue is weird. When I’m not in airplane mode I have the same miracle 5% drain some nights. Tonight with all on it “only” drained 8%

It’s making me pissed ...
I went to bed yesterday with 95% and woke up today with 83%. After checking my facebook and mails for 2 minutes, battery was down to 60%.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I went to bed yesterday with 95% and woke up today with 83%. After checking my facebook and mails for 2 minutes, battery was down to 60%.
Some questions.

How old is the battery?

What is its health?

How long have you had 14.3 installed?

How cold is it where you leave your phone overnight?

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
I already wrote it all above.

Some questions.

How old is the battery?
2 years old.

What is its health?
90% health now.
How long have you had 14.3 installed?
Since it came out.
How cold is it where you leave your phone overnight?
I'm not in the Arctic :D. So around 18-20C.

I'm sorry but it doesn't make any sense. Checking facebook and mails for literally 2 minutes, took more than 20% of battery. However, I was cycling when it's -2C outside and in 20m of doing so, with the 4G on, WiFi on, and bluetooth on, battery went down 3%.

ud43532

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
Hi

With my iphone 12 pro, i have a o2 sim card, i switched over to an esim but it did not make any difference.

So i bought a EE pay as you go sim and tried that on the phone.
The issue seems to have disappeared, the battery does not drain anymore.

I have read on various threads that users of Verizon, Vodaphone, O2 and three have these problems.

Its something on their network which is causing this.

Honestly right now it feels like i have a new phone. I was so fed up of trying to figure out the root cause of this.

ud43532

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
Capture.PNG

hi

In the screenshot that I charged the phone on friday at 3PM at 78%. I then switched to the physical EE Pay as you go Sim card.

The phone is behaving itself as if nothing is wrong.

You will notice that on the 15th i was using the O2 Sim and battery was draining.

There is something on the O2 network which is causing the battery to drain so much.

fredriks

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020
View attachment 1713887

hi

In the screenshot that I charged the phone on friday at 3PM at 78%. I then switched to the physical EE Pay as you go Sim card.

The phone is behaving itself as if nothing is wrong.

You will notice that on the 15th i was using the O2 Sim and battery was draining.

There is something on the O2 network which is causing the battery to drain so much.

Yesterday I changed my network settings from 4G to 5G auto and this night I had only 4% drain. I don’t have a 5G contract so for me it was unnecessary to have 5G enabled I thought. In 24 hours I have consumed 29% with this setting so far. Will keep using it like this and I really hope that this is my drain issue. Need more days to see that it keeps going like this.

Fingers crossed

Reactions: onelove4everu

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have an iPhone 6S and a battery with 98% battery health.

I noticed since 14.2 / 14.3 there has been a battery drain. I tried many things, such as disabling SiRi, location services etc, but nothing worked.

Through must testing, I tried the following and the battery drain stopped (while the screen is off). I went to bed with 95% and woke up with 95% battery life.

Here are the settings I changed:

View attachment 1706444
View attachment 1706445
View attachment 1706446

Let me know if this helps. It worked on my iPhone.

*update
It worked ok initially, then the drain appeared. I installed iOS14.4 public beta and was the same. I have reset the phone to factory settings and setup again without any apps installed. I suspect the issue is either:

- iOS14
- a third party app
- the phone battery (98% battery health, after resetting down to 96%)

Hi thank you. initially it didn’t work, until Raise to Wake was disabled as well (this morning). iPhone SE 2. Hope this fixed in 14.4

Attachments

• A6648766-29E9-43F8-AB25-E87852473D0C.jpeg
    A6648766-29E9-43F8-AB25-E87852473D0C.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi thank you. initially it didn’t work, until Raise to Wake was disabled as well (this morning). iPhone SE 2. Hope this fixed in 14.4
I'm glad it helped. But, you shouldn't have to disable them. If Raise to Wake helped, report as a bug. I have reported all the issues to Apple about battery drain.

I find the battery drains without anything running and without doing anything, even after a fresh restore (many days later). Even overnight with WIFI, Bluetooth turned off and airplane mode on.

I would be pointing to the battery, but if I play YouTube, it plays a youtube video for about 8 hours no problem. So, must be iOS.

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
I'm glad it helped. But, you shouldn't have to disable them. If Raise to Wake helped, report as a bug. I have reported all the issues to Apple about battery drain.

I find the battery drains without anything running and without doing anything, even after a fresh restore (many days later). Even overnight with WIFI, Bluetooth turned off and airplane mode on.

I would be pointing to the battery, but if I play YouTube, it plays a youtube video for about 8 hours no problem. So, must be iOS.
The 14.4 beta 2 release didn't fix the issue? It looks like it has resolved the issue for me.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I already wrote it all above.

2 years old.

90% health now.

Since it came out.

I'm not in the Arctic :D. So around 18-20C.

I'm sorry but it doesn't make any sense. Checking facebook and mails for literally 2 minutes, took more than 20% of battery. However, I was cycling when it's -2C outside and in 20m of doing so, with the 4G on, WiFi on, and bluetooth on, battery went down 3%.
It didn’t actually take 20% of the battery. The battery algorithm is just super wonky on this version. My iPhone 7 which also has a 2 year old battery at 87% has been weird with the battery percentage ever since I’ve updated to 14.3 from 13.7. It will randomly start losing chunks like that rapidly and the phone will heat up some and then stabilize at a percentage for a longer period of time. It’s like the os just can’t get a feel for the battery anymore. Whatever it is I hope it’s fixed soon. Pretty annoying!

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It didn’t actually take 20% of the battery. The battery algorithm is just super wonky on this version. My iPhone 7 which also has a 2 year old battery at 87% has been weird with the battery percentage ever since I’ve updated to 14.3 from 13.7. It will randomly start losing chunks like that rapidly and the phone will heat up some and then stabilize at a percentage for a longer period of time. It’s like the os just can’t get a feel for the battery anymore. Whatever it is I hope it’s fixed soon. Pretty annoying!

Exact same thing happens to my iPhone 6S. If we all report as a bug, Apple may fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.