Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Post about the little things (excluding highly published features) that have changed in iOS 15 here. Note that this is a wiki post, which means that you can add directly to this post.

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions, or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting, or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Beta 1:
  1. Drag and drop support across the UI
  2. Spatial audio can be enabled for regular stereo content as well as Dolby Atmos mixed tracks
  3. List views, such as in Settings and Mail have a new rounded sectioned off look
  4. Only one new wallpaper so far
  5. Free data for iCloud backups during the installation process
  6. New upgrade from Android features to move settings
  7. New widgets: Sleep, Find My, Game Center, App Store, Mail, People with Family Sharing
  8. New widget selection animation, new drag and drop UI, and rotate options
  9. Snappier context animations, especially noticeable in Messages (i.e. tapback)
  10. Shared with you can be turned off and on per app
  11. Notification settings are much more granular re muting, turning off
  12. Messages merges similar images into a stack
  13. Press and hold on text for the returned magnifying glass
  14. More languages for QuickPath (Dutch, Hindi (Latin), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, and Vietnamese)
  15. FaceTime: Screen sharing between iOS15/macOS12 devices only
  16. Memoji: New clothing, headwear, accessibility options
  17. Maps: guides have been updated, you can now choose a time to arrive or a time to leave, which lets you get prospective commute lengths ahead of time (previously for Transit only)
  18. Safari: Pull to refresh, voice dictation for url bar. If you long press the more icon in the url bar you can toggle reader mode. To clear out tabs press and hold the bottom right tab icon, or if in tab view the done button
  19. News: Slight layout change
  20. Zoom in while using QuickTake
  21. Photos:
    1. The new fancy memories are not allowed to be shared, share button is greyed out. Possibly licensing issues?
    2. iOS 15 Finally Lets You Block Your Exes From Ruining Your Photo Memories
    3. Photos can display EXIF data, and location and date metadata can be edited manually.
  22. CarPlay: Siri can announce messages
  23. Weather: Precipitation and weather radars only works in the US (or possibly only where Dark Sky was available)
  24. Health: Blood Glucose tracking and trends
  25. Privacy: Tracking app activity over the last 7 days can be turned on and off
  26. Find my: Locations are now updated in real time, AirTags and devices have an optional separation alert, can now find devices that are off or erased
  27. Security: Built in 2FA code generator, replacing Google, Okta etc.
  28. Dictionary: More languages added
  29. Messages: You can now scrub through audio messages
  30. Location Services: Indicator is now highlighted in blue on the top left when active.
  31. Dual SIM: it’s finally possible to manually switch the lines of a SMS or iMessage conversation
  32. Files: Group files similar to the Finder on macOS
  33. iPod Touch now has low power mode
  34. New hybrid date picker, allows for both scrolling and manual entry
  35. iPhone apps will appear in landscape mode when displayed on an iPad being used in the same orientation.
  36. Shortcuts:
    • Shortcuts has added powerful new OCR and filesystem features.
    • There are new ways to share shortcuts, including as a file, which is handy for backing up shortcuts and sharing them privately.
    • Shortcuts are notarized like apps, identifying their creator.
    • Shortcuts can be folded, and there’s a new Stop and Output action that can stop a shortcut and output information about its state for debugging purposes.
  37. The iPad’s multitasking window indicator makes it easier to tell which window has the focus
  38. Voice Memos includes a new setting for skipping silences in recordings
  39. Reminders is adding custom smart lists that can be based on tags, priority, location, date, and other metadata
  40. With current-generation Xbox and PlayStation controllers, you can press a button to save the most recent 15 seconds of gameplay
  41. Users can prioritize 5G over WiFi in iOS and iPadOS 15
  42. iOS 15 Allows You to Request Refunds for In-App Purchases Directly Within Apps
  43. FaceTime on iOS 15 Alerts You If You Try to Talk While Muted
  44. Inside Accessibility setting, Haptic Touch is the wording for adjusting long press settings, despite no iPad ever has a haptic engine.
Beta 2:
  1. New Maps icon
  2. New Memojis
  3. New Memoji clothing
  4. iPad: Finger swipe to bring up quicknotes; hover for reload icon and reader mode

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hey @ErikGrim, when you say drag and drop support across the UI, you mean for iPadOS or does that include the iPhone too? Would you give me an example of what was not possible before but is now?

I have not been able to utilise drag and drop on the iPhone since its inception, it is possible I might be able to start.

Untapped Potential

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
Haven’t figured out how to change memoji clothing. Also when I send a FaceTime link to an android user they are unable to connect.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Could also be intended behavior to add easy compatibility for Focus mode pages. I assume an individual Focus page (for e.g. work) is merely a hidden home page that gets enabled when in focus mode and them allowing you to place an app more than once removes the headache of juggling app links from the system.
Yeah it could also be.. But knowing the nowadays Apple I am thinking more about a bug lol

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Photos: Tapping on a photo with text in it lets you highlight and copy that text. (At least I think this is new.) It's super helpful for me, as I'll often grab a quick pic of something when I want to quote it to someone later.

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Probably a bug

Could also be intended behavior to add easy compatibility for Focus mode pages. I assume an individual Focus page (for e.g. work) is merely a hidden home page that gets enabled when in focus mode and them allowing you to place an app more than once removes the headache of juggling app links from the system.
I’m thinking this is intentional as well. The reason I tried adding multiple instances of the same app was “what happens if I want the mail app on both a personal Home Screen and a work Home Screen?”
If it is a bug, and I’m very doubtful, the bug is only that you can place 2 instances on the SAME Home Screen, but 2 or more instances across multiple screens is definitely intentional.

Reactions: surya1337
Jun 7, 2021
“Weather: Precipitation and weather radars only works in the US (or possibly only where Dark Sky was available)”

do you guys mean that new map feature in Weather where you can change layers to precipitation? It seems to be providing that layer for me in Canada

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
In Messages, is this new? Where it shows the “day” a message was read if it on a previous day.
1B6B1738-A879-43F2-BAC9-81B9B27A472E.jpeg

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
On the iPad, if you hold command on the keyboard, the UI for showing possible shortcuts is now made to resemble the macOS Menu Bar sections, include the Help “search for a shortcut” thing.
Even cooler, if you tap the item from that menu it does the thing you tapped. So it works exactly like the menubar.

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
This is annoying.
I have a Shortcuts Geofencing based Automation to run a bunch of Homekit commands as I come back home. Before I had to just click 'Run' when I'd enter the area and it'd run all the various commands.

IMG_2071.jpeg
IMG_2070.PNG
Now I have to confirm and hit 'Continue' on every Homekit command AFTER I tap on the 'Run' for the main shortcut automation prompt.
I dont see an option to execute without confirmation either.

• Sad
Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.