Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

npenelope

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2016
The new Memoji clothing is sorted into all of the current clothing categories (new hats, glasses, etc.)

There are no new clothing categories.
I meant the clothing that you see when you use the stickers that they advertised in the keynote. Like instead of the generic purple outfit, they stated that you can change that. But maybe its not live yet as the new stickers they mentioned aren't live yet either

Reactions: Ladyc0524

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
There's a little thing that was announced for iPadOS 15 that I haven't yet seen a screenshot of...I heard that the onscreen keyboard bar that appears when an external keyboard is attached is smaller, so that it doesn't cover up UI elements behind it.

If anyone is running iPadOS 15, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the new bar? I've attached an image of the current keyboard bar in iPadOS 14 (it's very tall and often blocks buttons that are positioned at the bottom of the screen)

Attachments

• onscreen-keyboard.jpeg
    onscreen-keyboard.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Haha
Reactions: dk001

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
There's a little thing that was announced for iPadOS 15 that I haven't yet seen a screenshot of...I heard that the onscreen keyboard bar that appears when an external keyboard is attached is smaller, so that it doesn't cover up UI elements behind it.

If anyone is running iPadOS 15, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the new bar? I've attached an image of the current keyboard bar in iPadOS 14 (it's very tall and often blocks buttons that are positioned at the bottom of the screen)
Here you go…

Attachments

• 0C4B7FD4-0BD5-489F-B8BD-30BAFCD87C34.jpeg
    0C4B7FD4-0BD5-489F-B8BD-30BAFCD87C34.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 214

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

It is, and not just is it smaller, it's flexible. It's just a little round thing that doesn't have to take up any height at all; You can push it to either side or it can be in the centre sometimes, but I can't seem to get it to go there manually after placing it at either side, and it more often starts to one side anyway. Don't really know the logic there. It's honestly a pretty nice system, much better than the prior one.
IMG_4AFA404AF832-1.jpeg

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
Thank you @TruBleu !

If you have time to check, could you let me know if it's draggable or resizable, or if it have any interactions other than tapping the buttons inside of it? Or does it just stay floating in the center?

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
Thank you @TruBleu !

If you have time to check, could you let me know if it's draggable or resizable, or if it have any interactions other than tapping the buttons inside of it? Or does it just stay floating in the center?
You can pull it to one side and minimise it. You can’t drag and place it anywhere on the screen, which is a shame.

Attachments

• 936745A0-7541-48A3-9A5B-780B73CAFBAD.jpeg
    936745A0-7541-48A3-9A5B-780B73CAFBAD.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 176

Bobcat32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2020
Ohio
In iPad OS 15 Beta is their a way to hide the App Library icon in the dock? Why is that icon there? Why is it necessary?! Heck the entire App Library in general? Just swipe right if you want to see it that bad! And is their a way to get back the keep today view on the home screen where widgets are now currently in iPad OS 14? Because that’s now gone. Widgets in iOS 15 ARE GIANT and look like a kids toy blocks that go inside a toy box. Because now also app rows are 6 by 4 so a page now can only hold 24 apps instead of 30 apps. Talk about a waste of space all the way around.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I'm not entirely sure how this feature at least is harder in that regard. I have very bad eyesight and my sister in-law is deaf and I've always found Apple to be really good with accessibility, making the most comfortable platforms for both of us. Hell, the WWDC keynote and State of The Union are up in sign language.

I'm sorry if UI changes seem to be getting harder for you. I'd love to know more about how the experience is changing though. It seems UI elements have always been to one side. Like to get to a new email you select the email from the right side of the iPad, but to scroll it it's on the right side. Or in Safari, Going back a page was the left side of the screen, while refreshing the page was the right-middle and so on
It’s not so much an issue on the iPad, as it’s a two-handed device by nature, and a larger screen means more room for error. It’s an issue on the iPhone, since I’m left-handed by default, and even on my iPhone 12 mini it can be a stretch to reach the top right corner of the screen, say, to access Control Center or answer an incoming call from the banner.

But I will say that I have yet to find a competing product that matches the features of VoiceOver or AssistiveTouch, both of which I use frequently. I personally wish Apple would bring Hover Text over to the iPad from the Mac, as this would negate the need for me to use VoiceOver while still allowing me to use the iPad and Magic Keyboard combo in a wider variety of settings, beyond just sitting at a desk or table where center-screen is steady and at eye level.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It’s not so much an issue on the iPad, as it’s a two-handed device by nature, and a larger screen means more room for error. It’s an issue on the iPhone, since I’m left-handed by default, and even on my iPhone 12 mini it can be a stretch to reach the top right corner of the screen, say, to access Control Center or answer an incoming call from the banner.

But I will say that I have yet to find a competing product that matches the features of VoiceOver or AssistiveTouch, both of which I use frequently. I personally wish Apple would bring Hover Text over to the iPad from the Mac, as this would negate the need for me to use VoiceOver while still allowing me to use the iPad and Magic Keyboard combo in a wider variety of settings, beyond just sitting at a desk or table where center-screen is steady and at eye level.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I use an iPhone 8 because I feel like the screen size and overall dimensions are nicely suited for one-handed use with my hand size, and don’t really want to go to any of the newer designs. If I had to swap now I’d take the SE. Though i think Apple at least tries a bit there. The iPhone Safari UI has entirely been pushed to the bottom of the screen as far as I’ve seen, but I only run the beta on my iPad as a testing platform. And the swipe to go back thing means you don’t have to reach the top for that and such.

Hover Text isn’t something I use much cause I tend to rely on just a quick Zoom instead. Now I know you can triple finger tap on iPad for Zoom (when enabled) but I’ve never checked if the Mac-like Zoom of holding control and swiping up or down on the trackpad works. If so, you might like that option instead of hover text, if it’s easy enough for you to perform

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
In iPad OS 15 Beta is their a way to hide the App Library icon in the dock? Why is that icon there? Why is it necessary?! Heck the entire App Library in general? Just swipe right if you want to see it that bad! And is their a way to get back the keep today view on the home screen where widgets are now currently in iPad OS 14? Because that’s now gone. Widgets in iOS 15 ARE GIANT and look like a kids toy blocks that go inside a toy box. Because now also app rows are 6 by 4 so a page now can only hold 24 apps instead of 30 apps. Talk about a waste of space all the way around.

Better for multitasking, and also much better than having to swipe to end of home pages, I want in the dock on iPhone.

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
In Home Screen & Dock settings there's a switch to remove it from the dock :)

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I use an iPhone 8 because I feel like the screen size and overall dimensions are nicely suited for one-handed use with my hand size, and don’t really want to go to any of the newer designs. If I had to swap now I’d take the SE. Though i think Apple at least tries a bit there. The iPhone Safari UI has entirely been pushed to the bottom of the screen as far as I’ve seen, but I only run the beta on my iPad as a testing platform. And the swipe to go back thing means you don’t have to reach the top for that and such.

Hover Text isn’t something I use much cause I tend to rely on just a quick Zoom instead. Now I know you can triple finger tap on iPad for Zoom (when enabled) but I’ve never checked if the Mac-like Zoom of holding control and swiping up or down on the trackpad works. If so, you might like that option instead of hover text, if it’s easy enough for you to perform
I wish VoiceOver on iPadOS was a carbon copy of VoiceOver on macOS.

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
Do you have any HomePod minis? I think the Ultrawideband chips there can localize you.
Interestingly not, I'm using an iPhone XS Max too, so no UW chip ? It's not wrong either, I do normally open TikTok when I go to that part of the house!

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
She always knows when you are home. It's based on GPS and significant locations.
I even capitalised the IN ? This seems to indicate, as discussed, that Siri knows I am in a certain part of my home where I would normally open TikTok (which I do)

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Messages notifications now ignore if you have a nickname set for that contact and will display the contacts first/last name listed.

• Angry
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
For iPad OS, when you have a keyboard attached, there is a dictation button on the little onscreen popup. This is a very welcome change as I don't always want to type as I use the magic keyboard as a case/keyboard combo.

Also, I hope this is a temporary design change but we lost a row of icons on the iPad. I can't figure any reason why they did this. If anything, I would have hoped they would have given us another row to fill.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

It depends on what app. Usually it is better.

Reactions: CoriG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.